Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo: A Star Wars Story

This is not a particularly good movie.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    This is not a particularly good movie.
    I thought it was great. Left me wanting more at the end of it.

I wasn't expecting a big film like I did with Force Awakens and Last Jedi (which left me very disappointed). The films were alright I did enjoy them like I did with the Prequel films (I'm in the minority who actually thinks the Prequel films are better than the sequel films).

Only problems is that it introduces a few new characters without giving much explanation, plus many other things that aren't explained while because of how slow the pacing in the film is, which lends to believe that there will be a bunch of new Han Solo films (because Disney REALLY wants to milk the shit out of the Star Wars films)
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    I wasn't expecting a big film like I did with Force Awakens and Last Jedi (which left me very disappointed). The films were alright I did enjoy them like I did with the Prequel films (I'm in the minority who actually thinks the Prequel films are better than the sequel films).

Only problems is that it introduces a few new characters without giving much explanation, plus many other things that aren't explained while because of how slow the pacing in the film is, which lends to believe that there will be a bunch of new Han Solo films (because Disney REALLY wants to milk the shit out of the Star Wars films)
    Not the Minority, I did't particularly like the prequels but it didn't bothered me including jar jar binks. I felt overall it was good enough.

For sequels though, I didn't mind TFA until TLJ came which made me don't like both. It feels like whoever is "looking after" this trilogy is doing a bad job of holding the pieces and is a poorly told story.

And I agree, it feels like they are inserting new characters that will not join up, but I dont think the care factor is there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post

For sequels though, I didn't mind TFA until TLJ came which made me don't like both. .
    YES!!! 100% Agreed.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

I enjoyed it. Very watchable, not as dank as Rogue One or The Last Jedi. Alden did a good job as Han, he wasn’t as wooden as I’d feared. Not a lot of character development, and I do hope there is more Lando in the future.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

On one hand, I'm not hyped due to the controversy surrounding the making of this film.
    On the other hand, I'm hyped that this movie doesn't have as dark a disposition when compared to more recent Star Wars movies.
    All up, I'm curious to see how this stands alongside Rogue One.

I saw it on release night and was not particularly impressed. In my estimation, there are three main issues with this film.

1. They've not been able to properly patch over the trouble production.

The film essentially has one pace, being that stuff sort of happens at a middling speed. It's not really slow enough paced to be outright boring, it's not quick enough paced to be a rush.

In terms of tone at times the film was entirely schizophrenic. For example, the Kessel scenes literally juxtapose incredibly cruel treatment of Wookie slaves with slapstick humour droid uprising scenes shot by shot.

It comes across entirely as what it is - a film worked on by two different teams with two very different creative visions that was in the end cobbled together and rushed out the door when in an ideal world either a) more time and budget would have been given to Ron Howard, or even better b) Lucasfilm would have chosen the initial creative team better.

2. There's no real journey.

This probably relates to the troubled production mentioned above, but you don't ever see Han develop as a character through this film. He begins as a streetwise snarky criminal who yearns for bigger things and trusts no one except those close to him (Q'ira, at that time). He ends the film as a streetwise snarky criminal who yearns for bigger things and trusts no one except those close to him (Chewbacca).

The one character who does seem to have an interesting journey, being Q'ira who went from a seemingly wide eyed urchin to an organised crime lietenant, has any explanation of this journey hand waved away about 4 or 5 times throughout the film. All we hear is that she's done terrible things that she doesn't want to talk about. Then she betrays Han.

3. It was not a particularly ambitious film.

I don't want to come over all RedLetterMedia, but at times it did feel like a bit of a box ticking exercise for Han and Chewie background lore. Han meets Chewie, Han gets his DL-44, Han meets Lando, Han has some kind of falling out with Lando, Han gets the Falcon, Han makes the Kessel Run, Han ends up working for gangesters.

It doesn't push any envelopes - it doesn't present Star Wars in a way that we've never seen before on the big screen like Rogue One did, and it doesn't develop the core mythology of the franchise or have a strong message like The Last Jedi did.

In that way Solo is probably most comparable to The Force Awakens, which was by comparison an incredibly slick production, the release of which was in an entirely different context to the release of Solo.

=============================================

In conclusion, I thought it was the worst of the four films that have been released since the Disney takeover.

There were a lot of things about it that I did like, but compared to the above they're all superficial bits and bobs. I enjoyed the links to the Clone Wars and Rebels television shows, as well as the wider Canon and Legends lore. I continue to enjoy the commitment to using practical effects and real props and sets in the Disney era Star Wars films. I thought the actors were all actually decent, especially Alden Ehrenreich who I thought did a very very good job.

Oh, and as for THAT cameo - despite my above comments about enjoying the link to the lore, it felt needless and gratuitous. It was to me at about the level of Jyn/Cassian running into Dr Ezavan and Ponda Baba in Jedha City in Rogue One. Not a fan.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I am in love with Enfys Nest, her gorgeous red hair, and adorable freckles. Please someone tell me the actress is an adult and I am not being creepy. I want a Forces of Destiny doll of her, now!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

bowspearer Guest

I'm very hesitant to watch this as it seems that the writers couldn't even get what was established in the script without coming close to veering off a cliff. It was originally established in canon that Han was a young imperial officer who got court-marshalled because he liberated Chewie, whom he met as a slave - hence the Wookie life debt. Yet at one point there were going to have Han join the Corellian Army and I've seen nothing to suggest that they've even kept that Han Chewie relationship dynamic in place.

The thing that annoys me with all of this is that much like the way they killed off Kyle Katarn because "grrl powa", it seems that everything which came out of LucasArts, which should have been untouchable, has just been crapped on for the sake of filmmakers who clearly don't have respect for the mythology or the fanbase and appear to simply see cheap political pandering as a means to $$$.

In fact what happened to Kyle Katarn is the reason why I have't watched a single Star Wars film since TFA.

How much longer before we all start crying out "Come back George! All is forgiven!"?