Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The movie thread

Default The movie thread

Due to the discussion in another thread I thought it appropriate to start a general movie thread. I like my movies and am always looking for recommendations.

I'll start off with Gone Baby Gone. I rented this the other day and I have to say this is a great film with a strong cast. I was a bit skeptical at first as it stars Casey Affleck and is directed by Ben Affleck but both the acting and direction was top notch. The plot is non-linear but solid. The main plot point revolves around the disappearance of a child in a low-socio economic neighbourhood. The ending will prompt lots of discussion and there's a boatload of profanity to boot.

i went to see burn after reading yesterday, and i can say that it was more superfluous than male nipples. There was no hard storyline whatsoever, only a mishmash of random crap throughout the whole movie. The only funny bit was the Brad Pitt character.

dvd movie if that..

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Just watched a good Chinese (Cantonese) film.
    Koma.
    Mainly about two chicks. There's kidney thefts, some good twists and some booby shots.

Recommended viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Just watched a good Chinese (Cantonese) film.
    Koma.
    Mainly about two chicks. There's kidney thefts, some good twists and some booby shots.

Recommended viewing.
    I'll check it out

If you're really into kidney thefts and some booby shots give "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" a try. Korean movie by Chan Wook Park and the first part of his 'Vengeance Trilogy" - the other two are the much acclaimed "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance".

A strong stomach and very black sense of humour are recommended tho.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

For asian cinema fans, I'd recommend Shinobi (Jap), Bittersweet Life (Kor) and SPL (HK) and for western audiences, I've recently seen and liked Smoking Aces, Be Cool and don't forget the 2 greatest films ever made, Pulp Fiction and Fight Club (in that order).
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

I keep putting off going to see the movie version of Max Payne due to generally being too busy and not agreeing with the directors choice of casting Mark Walberg as Max. Has anyone been to see it recently? How true to the games is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    I'll check it out

If you're really into kidney thefts and some booby shots give "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" a try. Korean movie by Chan Wook Park and the first part of his 'Vengeance Trilogy" - the other two are the much acclaimed "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance".

A strong stomach and very black sense of humour are recommended tho.
    I've heard good things about Oldboy and the Sympathy films, I really have to track them down.

I saw Max Payne the other day. I found it ok not having played the games myself.

My friend that I went to watch it with said the story was pretty close but there wasn't much of the bullet time thing in it.

I'm more of an action junkie myself watching movies like Commando and such, more for the lame one-liners and impossible action sequences.

I saw Total Recall the other night. Surprisingly it's decent movie that doesn't really stop with things happening here and there.

I saw Max Payne, never played the games but the movie did nothing for me it was totaly forgetable. After watching Shoot Em Up regular movie gun fights seem tame.

If you like action movies with lame one liners than don't forget Shoot Em Up. it's a B-grade movie through and through, but it's also an amusing parody of the gunfighting action film that makes a point of making every action scene even more ridiculous than what's come before, and its got em all. And none of that CG bullet dodging junk, just lots of guns and grunt.

I'm prety sure it now has the record for the highest bad guy kill count for one gunslinging character (although i haven't seen the new Rambo which may well have eclipsed that). It definately holds the record for the most badguys killed during a sex scene.

But don't just take my word for it, here's your imposible action scene complete with lamer than lame one liner.
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HR32n5...eature=related

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I'm prety sure it now has the record for the highest bad guy kill count for one gunslinging character (although i haven't seen the new Rambo which may well have eclipsed that).
    & in the genre of Rambo, I recommend "The Condemned" with Stone Cold & Vinnie Jones. The amount of creativity in the death scenes is mind-blowing...