Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I've just joined. I've been collecting Transformers since the mid-80s but, despite my love of fictional robots, I'm a bit technophobic and so might make mistakes with this interface.

I'm mostly interested in G1 and Generations toys. By accident more than design, most of my G1 toys are of 1984-85 characters, while most of my Generations toys are of 1986-88 characters, but that seems to work well aesthetically. Also, I try to have only as many Autobots as I do Decepticons, which tends to slow the growth of my collection.

I'm increasingly interested in the complex cultural and economic story of the Transformers brand.

Galvatran Guest

Welcome to Ozformers Dan. Glad you joined the longest continuous running Transformers forum in the world.

Do you have a favourite character or G1 toy?

You're also a fellow Victorian.

Welcome to Ozformers Mate!

Thanks to you both.

Favourite G1 toy or character? That is challenging even if taken as two questions...

Favourite toy could well be G1 Prowl. It was the first boxed (not card-backed) Transformer I got, I spent my own money at a long-gone local toy shop, it got a lot of play and eventually its roof snapped off. Next I bought the 1990 classic re-issue, making Prowl pretty much the only toy I've ever replaced, so that must count for something. Prowl looks good in both modes, and the hip-twist was an awesome transformation step (although almost too common these days).

For a favourite character I'm choosing Carly, partly because she is keen and resourceful, and partly because she appears in some of my favourite episodes, like Desertion Of The Dinobots and Madman's Paradise.

Welcome aboard the board, Dan,
    don't fret about the 'tech' of the forum, this is literally the only forum I've ever been an active member of. I certainly had no idea how it worked when I started. There are plenty of areas where you can always ask for help as well.

Based on your description I'd have to say G1 skids was my favourite toy, I played with him until he wouldn't hold together at the hips any longer. and it's one of the few if not the only one I've ever replaced with a reissue.
    I Love Jazz though, great modes and unique transformation among G1 car bots.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Thanks to you both.

Favourite G1 toy or character? That is challenging even if taken as two questions...

Favourite toy could well be G1 Prowl. It was the first boxed (not card-backed) Transformer I got, I spent my own money at a long-gone local toy shop, it got a lot of play and eventually its roof snapped off. Next I bought the 1990 classic re-issue, making Prowl pretty much the only toy I've ever replaced, so that must count for something. Prowl looks good in both modes, and the hip-twist was an awesome transformation step (although almost too common these days).

For a favourite character I'm choosing Carly, partly because she is keen and resourceful, and partly because she appears in some of my favourite episodes, like Desertion Of The Dinobots and Madman's Paradise.
    Awesome Choices

Red Alert was my First Transformer (Birthday Present back in 85 ) and like your Prowl it saw a lot of play. The stickers and chrome wore off him but nothing ever broke thankfully

Skids is nifty. I particularly like how 'articulated' he is in alt mode, what with doors and hatch back and all. Pity about how little he was in the G1 cartoon.

Red Alert meanwhile had an interesting role in the cartoon, but I'm not sure how I feel about a luxury sports fire chief's car.

I sometimes like imagining alternative ways in which the original toys and characters could have been presented. For instance, imagine the Red Alert character and livery being applied to the body of the Skids toy...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My first was G1 Sunstreaker (and like you're unfortunate experience with Prowl) the roof also snapped off.

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Smile

It just occurred to me that I have some Transformers photos online and I could link them here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/725155...h/29558304644/