Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best and worst of SDCC 2018?

I was born in 1987, I do love G1, but outside of some season 2 episodes, maybe fifteen to twenty toys, The Movie And Rebirth almost all my memories are of G2 and Beast Wars. And Cybertron was what actually got me back into Transformers in a big way.

Tarantulis neglect is a crime. I would love to see a new Transmetal Blackarachnia. Or Transmeral 2 Cheetor. Combiner Wars Tripedacus, perhaps? A Silverbolt that doesn't frequently split at the crotch when posing.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I genuinely cannot understand how Tarantulas has not had an original figure since the 1990s.
    Has it been that long? I always thought of Tarantulas as one of the more iconic bad guys in BW. Sure there was Megatron (leader), Blackarachnia (token bad female), and Waspinator (comedy relief); but Tarantulas was the truly mean one. He struck me as a cross between G1 Shockwave and Starscream, where he was like an evil mad scientist with his own dark agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    I was born in 1987, I do love G1, but outside of some season 2 episodes, maybe fifteen to twenty toys, The Movie And Rebirth almost all my memories are of G2 and Beast Wars. And Cybertron was what actually got me back into Transformers in a big way.
    I think Hasbro likes to focus on G1 in their Generations lines because the IDW comics makes them easier to sell. But I wish they'd include characters from other continuities into their Generations lines, maybe one or two BW characters and one Unicron Trilogy character, or something like that. Just to mix things up a bit. There also doesn't seem to be much diversity when it comes to alt-modes. In what we've seen in Siege so far, most of the characters turn into automobiles. Would be nice to see some more dinosaurs, birds, spiders, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Has it been that long? I always thought of Tarantulas as one of the more iconic bad guys in BW. Sure there was Megatron (leader), Blackarachnia (token bad female), and Waspinator (comedy relief); but Tarantulas was the truly mean one. He struck me as a cross between G1 Shockwave and Starscream, where he was like an evil mad scientist with his own dark agenda.
    To be fair though, Blackarachnia was pretty much the first token bad female and was done pretty well to boot...until Beast Machines anyway.
    Not disagreeing that Tarantulas deserves more love mind you.
    I think Hasbro likes to focus on G1 in their Generations lines because the IDW comics makes them easier to sell. But I wish they'd include characters from other continuities into their Generations lines, maybe one or two BW characters and one Unicron Trilogy character, or something like that. Just to mix things up a bit. There also doesn't seem to be much diversity when it comes to alt-modes. In what we've seen in Siege so far, most of the characters turn into automobiles. Would be nice to see some more dinosaurs, birds, spiders, etc.
    Totally. Even if it was just as the pre/re-molds it'd be great to get some more character variation.
    How hard would it have been to do a Unicron Trilogy Red Alert from the Combiner Wars Trailbreaker remold, or a Demolishor from the Brawl mold?

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Even if it was just as the pre/re-molds it'd be great to get some more character variation.
    How hard would it have been to do a Unicron Trilogy Red Alert from the Combiner Wars Trailbreaker remold, or a Demolishor from the Brawl mold?
    I recently read on one of the forums (I think it might've been seibertron) where one of the commenters said the Hot Spot/Pyra Magna/Inferno mould would've made a good RiD 2001 Optimus Prime (or Fire Convoy).

Im holding out hope that the Bumblebee movie will finally see an improvement in the live action movies. As for toys, I was about to pull the trigger and buy the Titan Return Ultra Magnus. But seeing this new toy, that will will become the Ultra Magnus for my classics collection.

If we use IDW G1 only we're due a new Razorbeast, Tigatron, Airazor, Polar Claw, Stampy and Tarantulus amongst others.

And if we're going to b stuck with vehicles I'd love a new Knock-Out. His. Prime toy was crap. And it still fits with IDW. Not that any of that will matter soon.

Ssshhhh, the geewun people will hear you and go on a rampage.

But yeah, I totally agree. I was thinking lately that it would be nice to get more Beast Wars stuff. I thought Optimus Primal winning the 2018 fan vote would be a sign that it was time for Beast Wars to make a proper return. While I appreciate the Leader class Optimal Optimus in PotP, it would have been great to see a full line dedicated to Beast Wars. It would be a nice break from Transformers that just transform into more boring cars and planes (even if they are futuristic). Would be cool to get more modern iterations of classic Beast Wars characters like Tarantulas.
    It looks like the mentality now at Hasbro is "We took a risk (see BW) to revive the toy line, now let's avoid risks and make money by playing it safe." So yes, the BW revival is long overdue.

BTW the new Ultra Magnus at the show has really grabbed my attention.