Thread: What's your favourite G1 "Combiner" figure update?

Default What's your favourite G1 "Combiner" figure update?

So, with the release of the Terrorcons (I'm aware not all of those have landed on our shores yet), we've now seen the vast majority of the G1 Combiner sets in the Classicsverse - across Combiner Wars / Titans Returns / Power Of the Primes.

Constructions, Predacons, Aerialbots, Combaticons, Stunticons, Technobots & Terrorcons all done. Heck we've even had 4/6 Breastforce characters!

Some of the original toys were... quite frankly... crap. Very limited poseability, odd shapes, ill defined modes (yes, you, Blot...). Some were pretty decent, mind you - but most didn't shine as individual toys.

Given the extra size and modern construction, most of the new figures are worthwhile updates.

Which are your favourites of the _new_ figures? And why?

Mine are Brawl (I just really like this update to a character I've always been fond of), First Aid (same reason) and Groove (again a character I've always been fond of, the original toy was sorely limited by the construction of the time).

I don't yet have my Blot in hand (I've got one, it's just still with a friend in LA)... he's a definite candidate for "most improved"... but then that one's coming off a low base.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I have the G2 Bruticus CW set and have really enjoyed it. I feel that aside from the Combaticons, the only of the 'standard' sized CW gestalts that have that level of variation in the figures is Defensor.

Superion and Menasor have limbs that are too samey - they're not super engaging to play with.

No experience with either of the Titan Class combiners mind you.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I like these autobot combiners that i have

1)Combiner Wars Superion
    Unite Warriors Computron
    2) Combiner Wars Defensor

Not so much but, still little like for Combiner Wars Computron

The only one I've got and my narrow favourite is the CW Protectobots/Defensor set. They're all solid figures in all 3/4 modes with nice mold variation and they work well visually as a team. I like the scale of Groove as a smaller figure and the 'new guy' Rook is a really good figure.

The new PotP Terrorcons look great and would probably have topped it if Hun-Grr's alt-mode wasn't so lacklustre. Their whole thing is 'team of weird monsters who combine', the monster-modes are important for me. Plus no smaller 6th member, which I kind of like...a gun-mode Sixshot Legends-scale figure or Prime Master Decoy suit would have been awesome IMO.

For me it would be the Constructicons, Predaking, and the Gen2 recolours... which is weird, because I don't like the bizarre colours we got for many of the original Gen2 recolours, but having a toy version of the unreleased Gen2 Stunticons, was really exciting. It was just a shame that we never got the Gen2 Protectobots to complete the set of four.

*Unite Warriors Constructicons
    *UW Nosecone, Strafe & Groove
    *CW Strafe
    *I quite liked that many Classic groups had their rosters increased from 5 to 6 or 7

I dunno. I really need to see the completed Predacons and Terrorcons before I can answer this question properly.

Worst updates are Motormaster and Scattershots alt-modes

The only G1 combiners I had were the aerialbots and protectobots. I more recently acquired the constructicon reissue set with the animated style head for Devastator and a set of the G1 combaticons. I also accidentally bought a KO set of Technobots off ebay years ago when I was just getting back into collecting, thinking they were the real deal.

All of my new combiner teams barring the two released this year are UW.

my favorite update team leader has to be scattershot, the original was very cumbersome as a torso.

My favourite limb update would have to be any one of the aerialbots, because jets, even though the transformation is almost identical among them.

My favourite team/combiner upgrade would probably be Devastator. of all the original toys, he was probably the least expressive of the ones I have experienced. the new Titan is outstanding, a very good series of transformations and looks formidable, even next to Metroplex.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

My favourite of the current combiners are Menasor and Bruticus. Having Optimus as a combiner has also been a lot of fun since you can choose from a whole range of characters and he never looks wrong.

Biggest surprise was Jazz being a combiner in POTP. Dont know why they haven't done a repaint of him.

Wish they would of done proper sized feet for the combiners from the start instead of the hand/feet combo.