Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MP Hound revealed

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    Pre orders starting to show up
    $176 au
    https://ohmyprimus.com/tmp47.html
    Yup, I am out of the MP scene, unless a good MP Jazz appears, I am finding toy companies pushing the prices way to high now. I feel sad. Happy for those who want it.

The Autobot cars used to be pretty stationary on about AU$80 (at about 6,000yen or US$50) for most of them... until the recent big MPs, and the recent urge to include heaps of accessories that either can't be used all at once when the toy is left on the display shelf, or most won't be used more than once, or at all, if the collector wants a "clean" (most common appearance) display figure. I get why they are doing it, to give fans more creative choice, but all of those recent accessories are rattling around in my Masterpiece boxes, as I have the toys on display without most of them, which is just a waste of money for me. Up until recently, the previous MPs are on my display shelves with all or most of their included accessories attached or held, which makes them better value for being used in play and in display.

I think TakaraTomy should be releasing these toys on their own (cheaper) like they did with the earlier figures, and then sell accessory packs for those who want them. That way, they can sell more of the base toys, and target the "character fans" with an assortment of extra items. Like for example, an obsessed fan of Jazz might love to have every possible macguffin (plot device item) from the cartoon and comic, and play endlessly with them, but to everyone else who isn't as obsessed, it is a waste that drives up the price and prevents fans from buying the toy.

It might not see a halving of the price, but if Hound just had its gun and Gen1 toy accessories, the toy would probably be about $50 cheaper, bringing it back in range of the Autobot Cars when taking into account inflation, as Hound appears to be the same size as Autobots like Sideswipe. (if taking out all of the bold items)

• Pre-order : June 7th
    • Release : December
    • Retail price : 18000 Yen (US $164.89 approximately)
    • 1x Hound
    • 1x Laser Scope
    • 1x Jerry Cans
    • 1x Spare Tire set
    • 1x Spike figure
    • 1x Hologram figure
    • 1x Hologram effect
    • 1x Hologram gun
    • 1x Hood parts
    • 1x Key of Cage
    • 1x Replacement face (Smile)
    • 1x Replacement face (Scream)
    • 1x Side Mirror (Spare runner 1 set)
    • 1x Character card
    • User manual

I reckon the huge assortment of largely useless accessories is just an excuse to jack up the price to the heavens. The new Prime with Starscream head? Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

I'm sure the engineering is probably better but not enough to be double/triple cost of previous figures. So TT throws in a million useless pieces of plastics that people will look at a few times and then leave in the box to pad out the justification.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    I reckon the huge assortment of largely useless accessories is just an excuse to jack up the price to the heavens.
    Agreed. Malibu Stacy with new hat.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    The new Prime with Starscream head? Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
    Well in defense I do find the Japanese a very sentimental people - small things, no matter how obscure, really count to them. I understand both sides of the argument, though... Is it worth waiting for a Hasbro release???

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    Pre orders starting to show up
    $176 au
    https://ohmyprimus.com/tmp47.html
    That’s a massive price tag, Sunstreaker was pushing it. There’s gonna be a point where Takara can’t charge whatever they want, and it’ll hit them.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    sell accessory packs for those who want them.
    That was my take on a recent 3rd party fembot. Including certain features caused them some embarrassment, while selling them as an accessory pack could have included more questionable parts at a huge markup to buyers too ashamed to protest.

Accessory packs would be an interesting path for Takara to take. But selling a ecosystem is a tried and tested formula in the toy industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Well in defense I do find the Japanese a very sentimental people - small things, no matter how obscure, really count to them. I understand both sides of the argument, though... Is it worth waiting for a Hasbro release???

A separate Hasbro release is unlikely, as they are now just directly importing the JP Masterpiece toys with an outer slip case with English on it.
    And back when they were doing their "own" in Hasbro packaging, they did very few, and the last five were identical toys to the Japanese versions inside the Hasbro packaging.
    (the last US Hasbro MP that differed to an earlier Japanese MP was Sunstorm in 2014, which was just a different colour deco, while the last Hasbro MP that had something different in the pack was Soundwave in 2013, which had five cassettes instead of one, and before that was Targetmaster Rodimus all the way back to 2011 with Offshoot which was exclusive to Hasbro)
    Although, when TakaraTomy releases an MP toy after Hasbro (the first few Movie Masterpiece toys), they have sometimes altered the colours a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    That’s a massive price tag, Sunstreaker was pushing it. There’s gonna be a point where Takara can’t charge whatever they want, and it’ll hit them.

Maybe it finally is, as I noticed that the 3rd version Optimus still hasn't sold out on HLJ on their pre-order listings, and yet they usually sell out within days of listing new MPs (even Blackarachnia is already sold out, and that will end up being about AU$200 with GST before shipping from HLJ).
    The Optimus toy is listed at about AU$550 (their pre-order discount rate, down from about AU$700), which will be just over AU$600 with GST, before shipping.
    It's going to be another Japanese MP that I will be missing, despite wanting it, because I just can't rationally justify that price tag, based on its size in relation to other MP toys.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Maybe it finally is, as I noticed that the 3rd version Optimus still hasn't sold out on HLJ on their pre-order listings, and yet they usually sell out within days of listing new MPs (even Blackarachnia is already sold out, and that will end up being about AU$200 with GST before shipping from HLJ).
    The Optimus toy is listed at about AU$550 (their pre-order discount rate, down from about AU$700), which will be just over AU$600 with GST, before shipping.
    It's going to be another Japanese MP that I will be missing, despite wanting it, because I just can't rationally justify that price tag, based on its size in relation to other MP toys.
    From my observations with mp's on hlj, they hit order stop after a little while, and as release date comes they open again, he WAS on order stop but has since reopened, I suspect blackarachnia will be much the same closer to release.

But this only seems to happen to takara tomy stuff, bandai stuff RARELY reopens, either TT is sending more or people are more willing to OPT out, yet with bandai stuff once you miss that PO its gone for good, HMR and chogokin guys may know what I mean