• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • Not even interested

5 71.43%

Thread: Toy Review - Cyberverse Bumblebee (Warrior)

Default Toy Review - Cyberverse Bumblebee (Warrior)

BUMBLEBEE
    Series - Cyberverse
    Size/class - Warrior
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - Yes (8/2018)
    Approximate Retail Price - $32
    Approximate Size - 13cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Sting shot
    Main Colours - yellow, black
    Main Accessories - None

Car Mode
    It's a serviceable car mode. Nothing really extraordinary, but... it's there. The colours are reminiscent of Rescue Bots Bumblebee... so I guess that's a neat homage for those who like that. The bonnet has four very visible hinges which is rather unsightly. The rear of the car is caved in as per shape of the feet, but it looks like someone's smashed into the back of Bumblebee (or Bumblebee has reversed into a bollard). It's very whelming.

Robot Mode
    Head sculpt is nice and it has okay upper leg and hip articulation. And that's pretty much where my compliments for this toy ends. The single most painful part of the mode is the Sting Shot gimmick on the left arm. The arm is slave to the gimmick and the toy suffers as a result. The left arm is permanently stuck in a raised position thanks to the spring loaded gimmick. You activate the Sting Shot by pushing the left arm down and then letting it go so that it can spring back up and make Bumblebee's stinger spin. Uh... yay? Unlike Animated Deluxe Bumblebee, Cyberverse Bumblebee's stinger cannot be removed or otherwise folded away. It's permanently out as if someone performed partial Empurata on him by replacing his left hand with a weapon. The colours of the car carries over to the robot mode, although it reveals more black and grey. And the Autobot logo is on his upper chest, making me feel dirty when I look at it too long. It does have a 5mm post compatible fist hole though... but no accessories to go in it!

Bumblebee's Function is "Courageous Scout." *sigh* The condescending tone of this matches that of the figure itself.

Overall
    An indefensibly bad Warrior/Deluxe Class toy. Seriously. I cannot think of a single Deluxe Class Bumblebee toy that is as bad as this one. Even comparing it to other Aligned Deluxe Bumblebees we can see that Warrior Cyberverse Bumblebee is by far the worst. It's by no means worth the Warrior price point. Not recommended.

PHOTOS

Interesting how the new vehicle mode is now a combination of his newer muscle car mode and a VW Beetle, the "beetle-ishness" made more apparent by the two thick black lines running parallel on the bonnet and roof.

Yeah. I would've preferred no spoiler to make it look more Beetle-ish, but they're needed as heel spurs in the underwhelming robot mode. Plus I guess they don't want this toy to cross-compete with the Bumblebee Moofie toys by making it too Beetle-like. I'm actually surprised that they're releasing a new Bumblebee toy so close to the movie considering that Hasbro refused to make the Animated Constructicons because they didn't want them to cross-compete with the ROTF Constructicons.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah. I would've preferred no spoiler to make it look more Beetle-ish, but they're needed as heel spurs in the underwhelming robot mode. Plus I guess they don't want this toy to cross-compete with the Bumblebee Moofie toys by making it too Beetle-like. I'm actually surprised that they're releasing a new Bumblebee toy so close to the movie considering that Hasbro refused to make the Animated Constructicons because they didn't want them to cross-compete with the ROTF Constructicons.
    Extremely poor judgement on the part of Hasbro to think that the WTF Constructicons are better than the Animated Constructicons.

From a business POV it makes sense for Hasbro to avoid self-competition. And let's face it, if Hasbro had gone ahead and made the Animated Constructicons but sacrificed making the ROTF Constructicons, we'd all be here criticising Hasbro for not making the ROTF Constructicon toys.

I get why they didn't make the Animated Constructicons at the time. But that was 9 years ago! There are no more ROTF Constructicon toys on shelves today to be competed with. Suuurely Hasbro could make the Animated Constructicons now! (they could've done it a good 7-8 years ago).