Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartoon Review - Cyberverse

I've watched up to Episode IV so far and I must say that I was pretty impressed. Wow... Blurr's Infinity War moment was pretty harsh! But I agree with what griff's said -- most of the good stuff seems to be happening in Bumblebee's flashbacks and the current day Earth stuff is pretty lame thus far. So yeah, the episodes are pretty hot and cold - only that it switches from being hot and cold within the same ep (i.e. flashback vs current time).

Well S1 is over already. So my thoughts on the characters as they panned out in the first season:

Autobots
    Optimus: Pretty atypical - tough, brave, honorable, removable mouthplate etc. Will be interesting to see him in more than just flashbacks in S2.
    Wheeljack: Despite the lack of faceplate I kinda like this Wheeljack, going back to his 'mad-inventor' roots
    Perceptor: Only seen in flashbacks, not much to comment on yet
    Prowl: Look forward to seeing him actually do something more than get shot in S2
    Arcee: Hasn't done much yet
    Chromia: Hasn't done much yet
    Blurr: Quite liked him, shame he is dead. There goes the chance for a toy of him that wasn't recycled from RID
    Hot Rod: Kinda cool, want to see more of him
    Bumblebee: Pretty annoying to be honest, but the humour of him appeals to the kids I suppose, my son is loving this rendition of him.
    Windblade: Lets face it, you can't have anything Transformers without Windblade these days. Not badly done.
    Grimlock: Kinda like Aquaman from Batman: Brave & the Bold. I must admit, I did see the twist coming with him going from super articulate and friendly to becoming the older version who is angry and with a speech impediment. What I didn't see was that he would be both, Angry and speech-challenged as a T-Rex, but his former self as a robot. I kinda like it, its a bit like how he was in Monstrosity.
    Rack'n'Ruin: An official toy please! Even if its a crappy Cyberverse one.
    Ratchet: Hasn't done much yet

Decepticons
    Megatron: Only seen in flashbacks, interesting to and fro between him and Optimus as things lead up to the war.
    Soundwave: Like the powers, like the look, like the voice, hated him dancing
    Shockwave: Logical, kinda angrier looking than usual, an odd but kinda cool altmode and conducts twisted scientific experiments. Nicely done!
    Shadow Striker: They have changed the character quite a bit, will be interesting to see where it leads or if she will simply continue to hate Bumblebee and not develop further.
    Seekers
    Starscream:
    They got the arrogance downpat. And its good to see him go one-on-one with Optimus and actually hold his own for a while, as well as intimidate other Cons and fufill his role as a proper Commander of the Decepticons (under Megs). Better than the usual 'whiny backstabber' he often gets portrayed as.
    Slipstream: Subcommander of the Seekers. One of the more fleshed out characters with her hatred of Windblade and her nervousness of failing Shockwave and Starscream.
    Thundercracker: Working under Slipstream, not much characterization
    Acid Storm: Is he a she or she a he? (Discussed here)
    Dirge: Looked really cool, hoping for a toy
    Ramjet: Looked really cool, hoping for a toy
    Thrust: No longer a Conehead? Why?
    Nova Storm: Different colour AND different gender. Odd.

Other
    Maccaddams: Pretty cool portrayl of him as super powerful and able to foretell the future but just wants to run his bar. Hope he crops up again!
    Teletraan-1: Pretty much replaced by the newer-quirkier backup version of itself, don't know if I like or hate to be honest.

I'll leave others to sum up what they thought of the plot and how season 1 ended. I've got a feeling season 2 should (hopefully) be an improvement.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I kinda feel cheated when they mentioned 90 cameo's... and it doesn't help that 50% of the characters are random seekers.

Wow - the first two episodes of Season 2 were actually really good!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Wow - the first two episodes of Season 2 were actually really good!
    Indeed... there was more action in those 2 episodes than the entire first season. I didn't like the prolonged bashing of Starscream by Megatron... the physical violence on a weaker individual seemed excessive for a kids cartoon, particularly when a simple cannon blast could have had the same result.
    It's nice to have Bumblebee talking normally too.

I just remembered - MORE Rack-n-Ruin! The more they use him, the more chance we have of a toy... even if it is a crappy gimmicky Cyberverse toy, it is one of those UK comic characters who never got a toy.
    Last edited by griffin; 2nd September 2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Indeed... there was more action in those 2 episodes than the entire first season. I didn't like the prolonged bashing of Starscream by Megatron... the physical violence on a weaker individual seemed excessive for a kids cartoon, particularly when a simple cannon blast could have had the same result.
    It's nice to have Bumblebee talking normally too.
    I counted and Megs either hits or throws Screamer about a dozen times, more throws than punches. For me I found Starscream bashing an already unconscious Megatron in the face several times while laughing to be more confronting.

I lost count of how many different coloured Seekers there are now, they seem to give them all random palette swap colours and chuck them in randomly. I swear Optimus bashed at least a couple of different Thrusts when running down a hallway with yet another Thrust waiting in the control room. I saw a Seeker jet coloured like Dirge but no Conehead robot of him like appeared in S1. I saw a few white Seekers but none of them were Ramjet.

I just remembered - MORE Rack-n-Ruin! The more they use him, the more chance we have of a toy... even if it is a crappy gimmicky Cyberverse toy, it is one of those UK comic characters who never got a toy.
    While in no way am I the biggest Cyberverse toy fan, some of the robot modes on the bigger Ultra-class toys don't look half bad, even if somewhat simplistic. The Slipstream and Alpha Trion are pretty good - I wouldn't mind getting a Rack'n'Ruin like that, though maybe a Warrior-Class figure would scale better with the mainline Wrecker figures.

Question is: what would he/they transform into?

My favourite character in the six S2 eps that have aired so far is Wheeljack. He’s really funny and likeable and they are really playing up his G1 mad inventor origins. I don’t even mind too much he has a mouth as when it’s closed his face still looks very G1’ish

So apparently, the second season is set "decades" after the end of the first season... which didn't seem necessary. There was a little bit of a jump with Megatron suddenly being there, and Bumblebee having his voice back, but nothing else seems to need a long gap of time. We had a cliffhanger at the end of season one, and now we don't see how it was resolved.

The appearance of Lockdown and "Lugnut" as a duo from the Animated series seemed a bit random (like having the one beast bot Cheetor), and could have been interesting if we had 22 minute episodes that could focus on characters more. Bludgeon was a surprise as well. It seems that the cast is mostly "Gen1" with some random ring-ins that the writers or Hasbro wanted to have included.

A LOT of cannon fodder troops on both sides... and I don't know if it was an animation error, but Slipstream couldn't find any Seekers at the Decepticon base (she found them at a distant missile silo), so when the Autobots arrive and Megatron tells his troops to attack, there are several randomly coloured Seekers in front of him.

The plot device of Optimus and Megatron getting "Spark Armor" seemed really pointless... obviously the writers were told to feature the new toys on the cartoon and that was the best they could come up with. Starscream getting Armour was even more unnecessary.

(it's a shame that Lugnut has a new name... maybe because they changed it to a female... but Clobber doesn't seem right as its name, as she doesn't seem to do any hitting, and Clobber was the name of the Grimlock head from Titans Return)

(it's a shame that Lugnut has a new name... maybe because they changed it to a female... but Clobber doesn't seem right as its name, as she doesn't seem to do any hitting, and Clobber was the name of the Grimlock head from Titans Return)
    I just figure its a whole new character that happens to look a lot like Lugnut. Yes its a distinctive style but lets face it, there are a million different Seeker characters that look very similar, no reason there cant be a few in that style too

Another four episodes this weekend on 9Go - episodes 7 to 10. (according to TFwiki foxtel had episodes 11 to 14 this weekend)

Ep 7 - I wasn't sure until it was noted in a later episode, but Bludgeon actually kills Slipstream (the reason isn't obvious in this episode, but is noted in episode 10 that he did it because Slipstream was turning to the Autobots for help... which was necessary as the Decepticons didn't want anything to do with her). It is also odd as she has multiple toys to sell, while some Seekers don't even have one yet.

Ep 8 - this could have been a great episode if it was a full 22 minutes, but cut down to just 11 minutes meant that it had to be resolved really quickly and simply. The Scraplets are a nasty little swarm of critters... and I'd love to see some in-scale Scraplets that you can get a dozen or so of. (the Cyberverse toy is too big)

Ep 9 - a wasted episode just to give Cheetor an official role that he kinda already had.

Ep 10 - Now this was the best episode yet... it was so funny, I recommend it to others.
    Shockwave captures Wheeljack to help him work out a way of using the Scraplets to track down Starscream, but Wheeljack manages to escape very easily. The fun started when we actually see that Shockwave actually does have two hands... but his second hand is a separate entity that hovers around and seems to have a mind of its own, until Wheeljack takes control of the floating hand with a remote control device.
    The side story had Windblade showing up and picks a fight with Bludgeon, but ends up being out-matched. There's something of a backstory with Bludgeon that we are yet to find out, as she makes a point of him never talking.