• Only if (something else)

3 17.65%
  • No

2 11.76%
  • Not even interested

3 17.65%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Dropkick

Picked this up for the vehicle mode and am pleasantly surprised how faithful it tries to be to the real thing.

I'm really not sure who/what this toy is here for.

On one hand, on it's own merits, it's not bad. Give me a repaint as a Movieverse 'Vortex' etc and I'd be pretty excited. It transforms well and in an interesting way. Poseability is not bad but a little kibble-hampered.

But - as a Studio Series figure, it misses the mark on most of what's supposed to be important in this series. The robot mode bears little-to-no resemblence to the movie design (at least based on what we've seen so far), and scale wise it's a bit weird. Yeah, the copter mode is close to Blackout, but bot-mode scale is off to just about everything else. When they made Jazz, Ratchet and Bee at different sizes I thought 'fair enough, because scale etc'. But this just feels small because they're being cheap. It feels like it should have maybe been a voyager sized figure really (even if on the smaller end, like the SS Optimus).

I wonder if the massive variance in bot mode is due to a later design change in the movie itself - Bee appears to have had some changes made so it's not impossible. Bee's changes were fairly subtle though, whereas this is more like a different design with Dropkicks head (very firmly) attached on top.

Add to this, the odd fact that Shatter is getting a car mode for her Studio Series figure, and the line looks further confused. It's like DOTM all over again, where it was impossible to get all 3 Wreckers in the same scale, with their car modes aligned as either clean or weaponised. Will we get a second Dropkick and Shatter later on that features the other alt modes? Will that version have a more accurate robot mode? Shatter's bot mode seens to be a bit more accurate (in colour at least).

So....yeah. What is this thing?

Maybe for people like me who doesn't even know who dropkick is or have yet to watch the movies but is stoke about a transforming Super Cobra :P.

A good toy is a good toy regardless of how much it looks or doesn't look like its screen counterpart.

e.g. G1 Windcharger is, IMO, a better Minibot than G1 Wheelie despite the fact that Wheelie looks closer to his screen design than Windcharger. Similarly I find G1 Wheeljack to be a better toy than G1 Blurr and so on. And quite frankly I find G1 Reflector to be - in relative terms - arguably better than Siege Refraktor because with G1 Reflector you weren't given the same toy thrice.

L: One purchase for 3 distinct figures
    R: Buy the same toy 3 times

I'd have no problem with it being inaccurate AF in any other toyline at all, but it's kind of disappointing/frustrating that Hasbro have been so quick to water down their own line's design brief...

And Dropkick's not a brilliant toy on his own merits - maybe a 7/10? It's got some issues and limitations that shouldn't really be there considering it's so screen inaccurate anyway...!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    ...but is stoke about a transforming Super Cobra :P.
    This!
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    Maybe for people like me who doesn't even know who dropkick is or have yet to watch the movies but is stoke about a transforming Super Cobra :P.
    Yes, the helicopter mode is very cool. Not even mad the blades don't spin freely.

See post #5 for my thoughts on the toy's screen accuracy

I like the figure. Almost every panel is utilised in the transformation process, which is a rarity with Bayverse style figures.

As a stand along figure, this thing would be awesome. Is not the most faithful interpretation of the bot mode. But i think it's a fair compromise to get the sleek helicopter with an interesting transforming sequence.
    Folks have already pointed out how the legs get bulked up with a bit of folding, but i also really like how the shoulders fold on themselves to bulk up his upper body. If they release his car mode I'll be getting that too.