Thread: Le Voyage de Moon dans le Système Solaire

Default Le Voyage de Moon dans le Système Solaire

MOON'S JOURNEY TO THE SOLAR SYSTEM

In Melbourne there is a 1 to 1 billion scale model of the Solar System located along St Kilda and Port Melbourne beaches. Beast Wars Moon and I travelled along this scale model solar system. Here are some photos of the voyage!
    Names of east celestial body is presented in English / Latin / Greek.

THE SUN / SOL / HELIOS

This 1:1G scale model of the Sun located at St Kilda Beach, Melbourne VIC.
    The actual Sun is 1.4Gm (gigametres) in diameter, thus at a one to one billion scale, this model is 1.4 metres wide.

MERCURY / MERCVRIVS / HERMES

As Mercury orbits at a distance of 58Gm from the Sun, this scale model is located 58m away from the model Sun. Mercury has an actual diameter of 4.87Mm (megametres), and so this scale model Mercury has a diameter of 4.9mm (millimetres).

VENUS / VENVS / APRHODITE

Venus is 108Gm from the Sun, thus this model of Venus is 10.8dam (decametres) from the model Sun at St. Kilda Beach. Venus has an actual diameter of 12.1Mm, and so this model has an a scale size of 1.21cm.

EARTH & MOON / TERRA ET LVNA / GAEA KAI SELENE

Earth is 150Gm from the Sun, thus this model is located 15dam from the model Sun. The Moon is 384Mm from the Earth, and so this model of the Moon is 38.4cm away from the model Earth. As Earth has a diameter of 12.8Mm, this model has a diameter of 1.28cm. The Moon's diameter is 3.5Mm, so this tiny model Moon is just 3.5mm wide.

MARS / MARS / ARES

Mars is 228Gm from the Sun, and so this model is 22.8dam from the model Sun. Mars has an actual diameter of 6.8Mm, so this model of Mars is 6.8mm wide. I did take another photo of this model, but it was also out of focus.

JUPITER / IVPPITER / ZEUS

This gas giant is the largest planet in the Solar System. With an actual diameter of 143Mm, this scale model is 1.43dm (decimetres, or 14.3cm) wide. Jupiter is 778Gm from the Sun, and this model is 77.8dam from the model Sun.
    ]
    SATURN / SATVRNVS / CRONUS

Saturn is 1.427Tm (terametres) from the Sun, placing this model at a scale distance of 1.4km from the model Sun back at St Kilda Beach! Saturn has a planetary diameter of 121Mm, making the core diameter of this model 1.21dm. Saturn has an annular diameter of 280Mm, making the outer diameter of this model 2.8dm.

URANUS / VRANVS / OURANOS (Say "Yoo-rah-ness")

Uranus is 2.9Tm from the Sun, placing this model at a scale distance of 2.9km from the model Sun. Uranus has an actual diameter of 51Mm, so this scale model is 5.1cm wide.

NEPTUNE / NEPTVNVS / POSEIDON

The last planet in the Solar System. Neptune is 4.5Tm from the Sun, placing this model at a scale distance of 4.5km from the model Sun. Neptune has an actual diameter of 49Mm, and so this model is 4.9cm wide.

PLUTO / PLVTO / HADES

"When I was your age, Pluto was a planet." 😛
    Poor little Pluto is 5.9Tm from the Sun, placing this model at a scale distance of 5.9km. Pluto 2.3Mm; which is 318km shorter than the distance from Darwin to Adelaide! Yeah, on a planetary scale Pluto is absolutely tiny, and at a one to a billion scale this sculpture measures only 2.3mm in size!

PROXIMA CENTAURI / PROXIMA·CENTAVRI / ENGYTATOS·CENTAVROU

Meet our galactic next-door neighbour. Proxima Centauri is the closest star to the Solar System. Proxima Centauri is 40.17Pm (petametres; or 40.17 trillion km) from the Sun. So travelling from the model Sun in St Kilda Beach and lapping the Earth once will approximate a scale distance of 40Mm.
    Also, Cybertron is said to have originated from somewhere in the Alpha Centauri constellation, and Proxima Centauri is in Alpha Centauri C. Although Cybertron is also a rogue planet, so who knows where it could be now.

I love this sort of thing! I remember seeing something similar in Coonabarabran in NSW and it was amazing. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for this!

Very fascinating.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.