If no one minds, I might just share my thoughts about the IDW comic run in this one post (save myself from answering two threads).

Be warned, there's some spoilers!

Things I liked:

Breaking down Autobot/Decepticon stereotypes - One of my favourite things about the IDW comics was that it really emphasized that not all Autobots are good, and not all Decepticons are evil. A character can be a Decepticon and still be good and honorable. One of my favourite moments was during the All Hail Optimus arc where Soundwave read the minds of the humans and surrendered because he realised his actions were doing more harm than good. It was a simple moment, but it really drove home the point that Soundwave was not a loyal Decepticon because he wanted to kill Autobots and rule the universe, but more because he thought he was doing the right thing, and he never intended to be evil. Then of course there's characters like Getaway - who demonstrated that just because you're a white Autobot car who hates Megatron (who, like Soundwave, never set out to be evil in the beginning); doesn't mean you're incapable of betrayal and murder. Even Optimus Prime himself had flaws (he tricked people into believing in the Matrix, which was really just a pulse generator).

Character depth and development - There's way too many examples to name, but some of the characters that really stood out to me were Starscream, Megatron and Slag. Starscream started off as Megatron's untrustworthy lackey (typical of G1 Starscream), but he got given what he wanted (became ruler of Cybertron), and after that he got put in interesting situations that taught him the error of his ways. In the end he sacrifices himself to stop Unicron, and doesn't complain about Optimus Prime taking the credit when he visits Bumblebee in ghost form. Then there's Megatron, which I can talk about until next Sunday, but I really like how IDW decided to make Megatron into an Autobot (unthinakble right?!) and the way it was justified. I thought it was well-done. As for Slag, we usually stereotype him as being a short-tempered delinquent, but in the IDW comics they show him as not only intelligent, but they provide some pretty compelling reasons as to why he doesn't trust authority (especially Optimus Prime).

To sum up, there's a lot of complexity and depth in each character, and after reading their backstories, it's easy to understand why they behave the way they do. Also, they're not simple black and white characters; there's varying shades of grey.

Things I disliked:

Forced social progressiveness - The Chromedome/Rewind relationship was quite touching and well-done, definitely a high-point of the series. But then they later introduced more same-gender relationships (Onslaught/Blast Off, Lug/anode, Ratchet/Drift, Arcee/Aileron, etc.) which started to come of as cliche and unnecessary. I felt some of them we're out of character; like the Onslaught/Blast Off affair. G1 Blast Off to me is someone who's aloof and arrogant, and doesn't seem like the sort who'd want to get romantically involved with anyone, let alone someone who transforms into a land vehicle. think the story could have been written just as well without the romance.

Very WORDY DIALOGUE
- Especially in MTMTE/Lost Light, I thought the dialogue was too long. Because of my short attention span, I found myself needing to re-read almost every sentence.

Artwork - Was a a bit hit or miss for me. I like a clean and simple manga style, but sometimes the character proportions looked too cartoon-ish for my taste. Sometimes the artwork and designs of the characters looked too busy.