Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Space Thread

Yeah, when looking at the blurry orange doughnut, considering that immense distance it's really a super ultra high resolution image!

July 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing. Although Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin on Apollo 11 were the to first humans to set foot on the moon (with Michael Collins orbiting overhead in the command module), they were not the first to travel there. Apollo 8 (Borman, Lovell and Anders) was the first to orbit the moon in 1968. Apollo 10 (Stafford, Cernan and Young) earlier in 1969 tested the lunar module in low lunar orbit to pave the way for Apollo 11's first lunar landing attempt. Had the landing not been successful, it is likely Apollo 12 (Conrad, Bean and Gordon) would have made the first lunar landing.

It is worth watching the video at the top of this page in full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    July 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing. Although Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin on Apollo 11 were the to first humans to set foot on the moon (with Michael Collins orbiting overhead in the command module), they were not the first to travel there. Apollo 8 (Borman, Lovell and Anders) was the first to orbit the moon in 1968. Apollo 10 (Stafford, Cernan and Young) earlier in 1969 tested the lunar module in low lunar orbit to pave the way for Apollo 11's first lunar landing attempt. Had the landing not been successful, it is likely Apollo 12 (Conrad, Bean and Gordon) would have made the first lunar landing.

It is worth watching the video at the top of this page in full screen.
    I love how NASA short-fueled the LEM on the Apollo 10 mission to make sure the astronauts weren't tempted to land on the moon - as they'd not have enough fuel to return to lunar orbit.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    I love how NASA short-fueled the LEM on the Apollo 10 mission to make sure the astronauts weren't tempted to land on the moon - as they'd not have enough fuel to return to lunar orbit.
    Cernan mentioned something about that in the documentary 'When We Left Earth - The NASA Missions'. "Don't give them an opportunity to land. Because they might."

But he was given the opportunity to land on the moon as commander of Apollo 17.

For those interested in Project Apollo, check out the 2014 NASA documentary The Journeys of Apollo narrated by Peter Cullen.

Today marks the 60th anniversary of the first human spaceflight. Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gargarin spent nearly two hours in space and orbited the earth just once.

Today also marks the 40th anniversary of the first orbital flight (mission designation 'STS-1') of the Space Transportation System, crewed by US astronauts John Young and Bob Crippen. Young and Crippen spent two days in space testing the Space Shuttle Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    Today marks the 60th anniversary of the first human spaceflight. Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gargarin spent nearly two hours in space and orbited the earth just once.
    Only 60 years ago? I thought for sure it would be more like 70.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Stumbled across this article on the ABC news site and it's something quite thought provoking:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...alia/100064630

While I appreciate what Elon Musk is doing and think that it's a nice idea, I didn't think of the consequences. It produces an interesting problem now doesn't it.
    Let's hope he didn't install lasers on them and has plans for world domination (in a classical sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Stumbled across this article on the ABC news site and it's something quite thought provoking:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...alia/100064630

While I appreciate what Elon Musk is doing and think that it's a nice idea, I didn't think of the consequences. It produces an interesting problem now doesn't it.
    Let's hope he didn't install lasers on them and has plans for world domination (in a classical sense).
    The astronomer community has been rather upset about Starlink for a while now. We are looking at a future where only space-based telescopes are useful.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Interesting. Wonder if there is a situation where the world goes no, no more are allowed to orbit the earth.