Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Spoiled Under 30 Crowd

The article/ letter/ email whatever forgot to touch on another thing the kids today have it easy with - Cellular phones. The early phones where the size of pringles back then and cost an arm and a leg and just as heavy. It didnt have text messaging or any other multimedia stuff, now its just everywhere and you can reach anyone anywhere coz lets face it every freakin person owns a celphone. They even made a joke out of it back in Phils. We had a funny home video type gag show. They dressed someone as a hobo/beggar and had him ride one of the public transport jeeps, a loud celphone ring is heard after some time and who do you expect the call is for, yup its the hobo and he's speaking to his "dad" - in perfect english grammar, no less . You can really see the shocked looks in the faces of the other passenger prolly thinking, Wha?!? a homeless greasy looking , tattered clothed beggar, talking on a latest model mobile, in english ( which is NOT a common thing to happen) no less to his "dad" . hehe Oh I can relate to the humor in this article as I am over 30s
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    phone banking would be a bitch
    ROFL
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I'm only 23 but I clearly remember most of "the good old day" stuff.

Had to use the Card Catalogue system in the libraries, and the Internet was only really starting to become a useful research tool in my last few years of High School. Blacktown Library was one of the first in NSW to get a computerised Catalogue system, but it was terrible for so long it was easier to use the cards!

Always had to record music off the stereo onto a walkman (again until the final years of High School), write letters to people and wait for Saturdays to watch Cartoons. I'd say this joke email is more suitable to those of or around 20 years old, as I am sure there are plenty of people in their mid twenties that like me are caught 50/50 in the "old days" and "new days". I know that people in their mid twenties sure as hell didnt get it as easy as those who are now in their teens!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I don't understand this 'wait for saturday' to watch cartoons.

When I was a kid we had cartoons every afternoon from 4pm-6pm and if I remember correctly they also showed cartoons in the afternoon here in Aus like Beast Wars and Ninja Turtles. There were also weekday morning cartoons with Agro.

Only recently has Saturdays become the only time to watch decent cartoons. Australia was never a star with its free to air broadcast but its a lot worse now than it was 10-15 years ago.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

One thing I can't stand is how "safety conscious" everything has become these days.

I mean, when I was a kid, hurting yourself was all a part of growing up. I can remember this one time when I went head-over-handlebars on my bike while on a gravel driveway. Another occasion during the "skateboard era" I had some bad stacks on my street, and then there are trampolines - if you've never gotten your head/arm/leg caught between the springs = you've never experienced real pain!

What was the sitcom from the 80's called? "Growing Pains"?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post

I was so in love with the nerd sister from that show.

I mean, when I was a kid, hurting yourself was all a part of growing up. I can remember this one time when I went head-over-handlebars on my bike while on a gravel driveway. Another occasion during the "skateboard era" I had some bad stacks on my street, and then there are trampolines - if you've never gotten your head/arm/leg caught between the springs = you've never experienced real pain!
    I know what you mean about the Trampolines, all the kiddies have super padded ones these days, you have to be incredibly clever to get snagged by the springs. Adding insult to (non existent) injury is that weird side netting they put around the edges. Because Trampolines are so small you cant even flip on them anymore. Might as well get the kids a jogging trampoline then, for all the bouncing they can do.

I have never seen any kids in my local area trying to build a bike ramp with flimsy planks of wood and bricks... those and the good old "chicken with glove gun" were the bane of my childhood years.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I remember one time when I was a kid. I was jumping on the trampoline as my brother and cousin were playing with a totem tennis pole. I was getting real good air on my jumps and as I leap high into the air my cousin swings and misses the tennis ball loses grip on his racket, it soars through the air and catches me straight in the mouth... Now that is REAL pain.

BTW Pulse you now owe me a free TF for bringing up the memories of "Growing Pains"
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

One thing I can't stand is how "safety conscious" everything has become these days.

Remember those large 80s Skateboards? Two friends and I used to sit on one and then roll down this massively steep long hill (I sill remember the name, Prescott st) and we used to reach crazy speeds and we had to jump out onto the grass at the end of the street or we would go into the main traffic and we were going too quick to stop it with our feet.

One time we went down like usual but a car at full speed turned into the street and was heading straight towards us, we had no where soft to jump to and going too fast too stop, the car had seen us but it was too late so he slammed the breaks but there was no way he was going to stop in time, we jump out of the board onto the hard road and rolled to the sides scrapping our knees and elbows badly and the skateboard went right under the car before it stopped. The car break noise was very loud and a lot of people came out to see. We were ok but bloody and the dude started to swear out of his car window and drove off.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't understand this 'wait for saturday' to watch cartoons.

When I was a kid we had cartoons every afternoon from 4pm-6pm and if I remember correctly they also showed cartoons in the afternoon here in Aus like Beast Wars and Ninja Turtles. There were also weekday morning cartoons with Agro.

Only recently has Saturdays become the only time to watch decent cartoons. Australia was never a star with its free to air broadcast but its a lot worse now than it was 10-15 years ago.
    Ah yes, the excitement of the school holidays and 2 weeks solid of cartoons, other than that it was only Saturdays but this was in the 70's and things had improved by the 80's. I used to watch in the 70's The Chatanooga cats, Secret Squirrel, Squidly Diddly, Space Ghost, Captain Nemo(very lame), Spiderman, The Herculoids, Bannana Splits show, Atom Ant, Roger Ramjet, Captain Pugwash, H R Puff N Stuff, The Wacky Races, Scooby Doo, GIGANTOR, the list goes on and on.