View Poll Results: Is Bumblebee worth watching in cinemas?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 88.24%
  • No

2 5.88%
  • Unsure

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please watch BUMBLEBEE in cinemas (NO SPOILERS)

Default Please watch BUMBLEBEE in cinemas (NO SPOILERS)

We All Vote With Our Wallets

My fellow fans, please consider watching Bumblebee in cinemas. It truly is an amazing film and unless the movie is a commercial success, then Paramount may not be convinced to make more Transformers movies like it. At the end of the day, we all vote with our wallets - and for movies this means box office earnings. The Michael Bay movies made loads and loads of money for Paramount, whereas Bumblebee apparently had the LOWEST box office opening of all Transformers films.
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...s-Transformers

Critics and fans both agree that Bumblebee is the best Transformers movie ever to hit cinemas. But unless people go to watch this movie then Paramount may remain unconvinced to make more like this, and may even consider returning to making future Transformers movies more like Michael Bay's style. At the end of the day movie studios are businesses and they make movies in order to make money. And we know that studios tend to be very risk adverse and will only consider changing things if it they think it's profitable. They moved away from Michael Bay because last year's Transformers The Last Knight wasn't very commercially successful. This is why they gave Travis Knight the chance to direct Bumblebee; when the Bay formula stopped working, they allowed Knight to drastically change it. But if Bumblebee doesn't work for them, then they may not consider running with the standards that Knight has set.

I understand that, thanks to Bay, we have Transformers movie fatigue. We've been burnt before with the past 10 years of Bayformers and may be reluctant to give Bumblebee a chance. But I can assure you that Bumblebee is different. It's thrown out all the things that you hated about Bay and put in so many things that you wish Bay had done. Bayformers may have been the Transformers movies that fans needed (commercially), but Bumblebee is the movie that fans deserve. Please help to make it a commercial success and send Paramount a loud and clear message -- we want more good Transformers films! And for those who've already seen it, please consider seeing it again in cinemas. I've already seen it twice (and wouldn't rule out watching it a third time).

For the past few years I've seen many of you say that you refused to watch Bayformers because you don't want to give Michael Bay your money for making unsatisfactory movies. You were voting against those films. I get it. You made a decision to financially vote against Bayformers. But please, when Paramount finally gets something right, as many of us as possible need to vote "YES" with our wallets. And please share this message with as many people as possible - Transformers fans or not, everyone will enjoy this film. I've seen so many reviews from people who previously hated Bayformers lump nothing but praise and love for Bumblebee. The only negative review I've seen was from some guys who also highly praised Revenge of the Fallen (a movie that even Bay admits was "crap"). So okay, if you love Bayformers then you might not like Bumblebee.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The only negative review I've seen was from some guys who also highly praised Revenge of the Fallen (a movie that even Bay admits was "crap"). So okay, if you love Bayformers then you might not like Bumblebee.
    Who are these reviewers? They sound like my type of guys
    As a Michael Bay fan, I did find Bumblebee to be a bit dull. Apart from the Cybertron scenes and the 80’s soundtrack, there wasn’t much going for it. I went and saw the previous films 2 or 3 times at the cinemas but once is enough for Bumblebee.......sorry

I traveled 75 minutes to take a group of 5 children and 4 adults to see it in cinemas on the 22nd for my sons birthday.

I reckon I've done my part

I'm a massive fan of Bumblebee! 🚗🐝😎

All my cousins and even my sister want to watch it (again!)

Bad time of year to release, it’ll get lost in the big Boxing Day and new year releases. The terribleness of the last few movies will hurt it big time too.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Movie Bumblebee is probably my least favourite core character, however, I do intend to go to see this movie when time permits as I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I also like the premise of the "girl and her car coming of age" aspect and since there is allegedly a wee bit of that amazing red truck in the film it will at least appease me.

At the moment I am restricted by a puppy who can't be left alone for long, and now, this afternoon, by a sick son (who desperately wants to see the movie for the G1 characters like Soundwave and Shockwave). So hopefully they don't pull it from cinemas before we get the chance to go along.

All the reviews are good and I have to say I'm somewhat surprised people aren't opting to go and see it, especially as it is a nice multi-generational kids movie where adults can enjoy some action while their kids enjoy it too (at least that's how I'm feeling from all the marketing). The skeptic in me can't help but wonder if it would rate better if it had been a boy and his car...

I think it will do well in the Asian markets as they love anything with giant robots (and I can't say I blame them). The only risk is Bumblebee does tend to be a bit of a shelf warmer in China compared to other characters (unless that's because they make twice as many of him as they do Optimus.. I don't think that's the case?).
    The issue then becomes - is the uptake by the Asian/Chinese market enough to push a US movie company to make another film or do they purely tie their agenda to the US market?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I traveled 75 minutes to take a group of 5 children and 4 adults to see it in cinemas on the 22nd for my sons birthday.

I reckon I've done my part
    *on screen high five*

Solid effort

I haven't seen Bumblebee yet, but have every intention of doing so when I find time.

Don't forget that the movie was released just before Christmas, and has solid competition in the form of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Mary Poppins Returns, and Aquaman. Any 'loss' on Bumblebee's part needs to take those factors into account, and I suspect Paramount's bean counters will do that.

Perhaps I'm being precious about it, but at the risk of starting an argument, was it really necessary to take a proverbial dump on Michael Bay to make Travis Knight look good?

Your choice of screengrabs in particular was clearly meant to minimise any 'characterisation' the Bay movies gave Bumblebee. It strikes me as disingenuous. Why not use this one or this one?

...we want more good Transformers films!
    I find this view kind of simplistic. It seems to imply that Michael Bay and Paramount weren't trying to make good Transformers movies, which I find very difficult to believe. With millions of dollars at stake, I don't believe that the production team tries to make each Transformers movie the best it can be.

The only negative review I've seen was from some guys who also highly praised Revenge of the Fallen (a movie that even Bay admits was "crap")
    Ok, I'm nitpicking this one point, but Bay never actually said that Revenge of the Fallen was 'crap'. This is what he actually said:

We made some mistakes. The real fault with [Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen] is that it ran into a mystical world. When I look back at it, that was crap. The writers’ strike was coming hard and fast. It was just terrible to do a movie where you’ve got to have a story in three weeks. I was prepping a movie for months where I only had 14 pages of some idea of what the movie was. It’s a BS way to make a movie, do you know what I’m saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Perhaps I'm being precious about it, but at the risk of starting an argument, was it really necessary to take a proverbial dump on Michael Bay to make Travis Knight look good?

Your choice of screengrabs in particular was clearly meant to minimise any 'characterisation' the Bay movies gave Bumblebee. It strikes me as disingenuous. Why not use this one or this one?
    I can't answer that without divulging spoilers. Those of you who've seen the film will understand why I chose those images, but I'm not going to discuss that here. Just a friendly reminder that the spoiler-filled discussion thread for Bumblebee is here, so if anyone wants to discuss that image or anything else to do with the story, please do so there.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I find this view kind of simplistic. It seems to imply that Michael Bay and Paramount weren't trying to make good Transformers movies, which I find very difficult to believe. With millions of dollars at stake, I don't believe that the production team tries to make each Transformers movie the best it can be.
    Okay, let me qualify that when I say "good" I mean in terms of story-telling. I understand that this is subjective, and Michael Bay's movies certainly do have other qualities. The Bayformers films are definitely superior in terms of being thrilling spectacles that get the heart and adrenaline pumping. And Bay has been an excellent bums-in-seats director.

Love or hate Bayformers, one thing that the movies have come to be criticised for is becoming too repetitive and predictable. This is really well demonstrated in Nostalgia Critic's NON Review of Transformers The Last Knight, released well before that movie was released where he predicts most of what happens in that movie with a pretty high rate of accuracy. As the Nostalgia Critic says in this video, it's perfectly okay to love Michael Bay's Transformers films, but it's about time that audiences demanded something different. If you love Bayformers, that's fine. You have 10 years of films to enjoy, each one repeating its winning formula that made them popular. But for those who just want something different for a change, this is what Bumblebee has given us.

Also, here is a comparison of how critics have rated each Transformers movie (except for the Beast Wars theatrical movie which I couldn't find sufficient critical data for).

P.S.: This interview with Travis Knight talks about Michael Bay's involvement in Bumblebee as the film's producer and how supportive he was of Knight.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 28th December 2018 at 01:40 AM.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

"Unsure"

The fact that they are flip-flopping on reboot or not reboot has me worried.

I'd rather they just scrap the continuity and start again. (Bee with a normal face would be nice).

However, from the trailer there is plenty of peripheral stuff to like.

As I said: "Unsure".