Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bumblebee Movie out in Australia April 3rd

Many JB Hi-Fi stores put out their Wednesday releases on a Monday. I went to one this morning and they were just taking them out - got my steelbook.

Some observations:

- Only two versions at JB are packed with the physical comic book - the steelbook 4K UHD and the regular 4K UHD. The 4K UHD at JB is in an extra cardboard cover (with the comic in it) not available elsewhere.

- The 4K UHD at Big W doesn't come with the cardboard cover nor comic. I assume it would be the same at Sanity.

- It appears all 4K UHD and Blu-rays are the version rated M, while all DVDs are the version rated PG (both the regular cover and the Big W exclusive).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    - Only two versions at JB are packed with the physical comic book - the steelbook 4K UHD and the regular 4K UHD. The 4K UHD at JB is in an extra cardboard cover (with the comic in it) not available elsewhere.

- The 4K UHD at Big W doesn't come with the cardboard cover nor comic. I assume it would be the same at Sanity.

Being a store exclusive is not surprising... it does make it an expensive extra if you don't have an expensive home theatre system that would even notice the difference of the 4K UHD.

- It appears all 4K UHD and Blu-rays are the version rated M, while all DVDs are the version rated PG (both the regular cover and the Big W exclusive).
    That's interesting... I doubt that it would be a different cut to the movie (before it was modified to be reclassified PG here), as it is likely due to the bonus features (including the more violent cut scenes) as the reason the bluray & 4K versions have an M rating (the DVDs only have one bonus features, or none at all).
    Last edited by griffin; 1st April 2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That's interesting... I doubt that it would be a different cut to the movie (before it was modified to be reclassified PG here), or if the bonus features (including the more violent cut scenes) are the reason those versions have an M rating (the DVDs only have one bonus features, or none at all).
    Good point. The different ratings on the cover could be due to the bonus features that come with the Blu-ray / 4K UHD but not on the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    They must have got them in early as it said on the website they expected stock on April 3rd and I got an email today saying that my order is packed and ready to dispatch
    Awww, I was hoping it was going to show up today but no sign at the post office. My wife is at home looking after our daughter when usually she doesn’t get home till near 6. If it had been in the mail today we could have gotten the kids fed and bathed early then all settled in for a movie night.

Bet it shows up tomorrow

Edit 4/4/19: Arrived today. My wife and I are both leaving work early to go to my sons assembly so hopefully by 4.30/5pm tomorrow Bumblebee will on the TV. Family movie time!

I reckon my missus will like this one too. The last TF movie she saw was TF3, I didn't make her go sit through 4 & 5 for which she was profoundly grateful

Oh, and the comic that comes with the Blu Ray isn't too bad - a nice quick read of which I wont divulge spoilers

Edit 6/4/19: well I feel like a total moron. I never checked to see if the PS4 plays 4K Blu Rays so I got the most expensive version for nothing
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 6th April 2019 at 10:24 AM.

Got the BR version from Big dizz, my wife and I watched it on the weekend, I have to say I enjoyed it more the second time around, the movie does move at quite a fast pace story wise so this viewing allowed me to be able to soak it up more. I never managed to find the time to see it twice at the cinema but I'm very glad I got the BR, wife really liked it too.
    I love how its a modern film set in the 80's with just about every 80's trope from movies made back then, its quite clever and fun writing.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Is it just me, or is Paramount done almost no promoting or advertising for the release of the Bumblebee Movie on DVD/BR?
    I haven't seen any commercials or public advertising for it here... did they run out of money in the promotions budget, or expect that it will make money even if people don't know about it's release, as they will come across it eventually anyway.
    Then again, I don't see too much advertising of movies when they are released (physically or digitally) these days... so maybe it's just the cinema release that they spend tens of millions on, and if the movie already made a profit at the theatres, the rest made later is just gravy.

I was gonna say, has the release of home video formats ever been promoted? I don't even remember adverts for VHS releases of movies.

Mostly on youtube ads and web ads. Not so much TV and definitely not physical ads like billboards.

I sometimes see advertising, but generally for movies that didn't earn enough in theatres, so the distributor tries to get back as much back as they can during home release.

Saying that, two BigWs I went to were sold out of all copies of the Bumblebee Movie, so it must be selling well (or the lack of free promotions prompted the BigW buyer to not order as much stock, fearing being stuck with it due to it being the lowest earner at the cinema in the Transformers series).