Thread: How to protect our personal information during member sale transactions

Default How to protect our personal information during member sale transactions

This is more more asking this question rather than sharing tips. Chrome currently likes to slap a red triangle into the search bar while I view the boards and I'm wondering how best to protect our personal details when conducting sales with other board members?

I have PayPal but not everyone is happy to use that so what do I do?

Thanks in advance.

If it is someone who doesn't have good feedback here then I'd be reluctant to use anything except for paypal, I know with many transactions both ways that I have done here DD is common, but that trust is built over time.
    If you are uncomfortable with DD then don't take that leap. If you are uncomfortable with it due to the info needing to be provided ie bank details, as far as I am aware there is not a lot a person can do with it, a scammer might try and call the bank to gain access or whatever but the banks are onto this sort of thing and have measures in place to stop it. Even my regular savings account which I have used for 17 years with transformers sales and purchases has other numbers required to gain online access to, and in a branch you need the physical card.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

The red triangle is probably a warning about the forum not being SSL encrypted. Any information you send (including your password) or view is not secure and can be intercepted by anyone monitoring your network traffic.

I'm a PayPal refuser. But if a seller only accepts PayPal that's fine. I'll just shop elsewhere.
    It's fully within your rights as a seller to dictate terms of payment.

Why do we hate paypal? I was thinking of using it.

For some users, it could be fees. Transaction fees for sellers are 2.6% of the amount plus 30 cents.

Paypal is fine but there are fees unless you use friends and family payment option, however there is then no buyer or seller protection.

I have a separate spending account that has rarely much money in it at all. this is the account I use for online transactions. On top of that, if you give someone your name, acct # and BSB there's not much they can do with that info except make a deposit.

Banks are now doing that quick pay thing where you can give someone your quick pay id and they can use that to do a quick bank to bank transaction. I've set it up but not used it.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    On top of that, if you give someone your name, acct # and BSB there's not much they can do with that info except make a deposit.
    Well.. someone can go and set up a direct debit somewhere. If it’s proven to be fraudulent you’ll probably get your money back from the bank but it’d be a headache.

Thankfully this type of fraud is rare as 1) it’s local in scope 2) it’s less anonymous than credit card or ATM fraud and 3) it’s hard to get cash out of that method of fraud. Dumb fraudsters can try pay their own utility bills or whatever but yeah, it’s super easy to trace them!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Thanks guys, I was selling something to another board member, it was more concern over chrome being a butt.

We had to use PayPal anyway because my bank knocked back the DD (something I need to chase up with my bank)