Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MP45 Bumblebee 2.0 (cartoon version)

Boy such controversy, some fans saying this Bumblebee is the worst thing ever, others saying it's great, strong opinions all round.

I think I'm in the middle ground, I quite like the look of this guy, and I think it's nifty that they used the penny racer alt mode and fake chest so he's different from the first MP BB. I like that this toy is different enough that it can sit alongside the first one rather than replace it.

The price on the other hand, that's another story that I really struggle with.

Seems to be a real mixed fan base for poor old Bee - but aren't we spoiled for choice? VW accuracy with MP-21 and now toon accuracy with MP-45? Technically isn't this already the + version of MP-21, but because it's a redesign, not a retooling, it gets a new MP number? I've grabbed the + version of Red Alert and a pre-order on Wheeljack as I think they've benefited the most from the anime colours, not splashing out on Prowl, Shockwave or Bluestreak though... But I've gotta get me a toon version of BB!!!

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I think this new Bumblebee looks terrible, I much prefer the first MP version but I'm happy for those who like the new one. Although I can't help but think a toon painted version of the first version as a + release would have been better, even with a new face like they did for + Bluestreak.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Would have thought mp-21+ would be enough and cheaper option.
    I only needed it to be lemon yellow.

The price to me is not great for this piece.

I quite like it.

And love the controversy lol.

I've found an Instagram account that posted photos of Bumblebee from the side: https://www.instagram.com/p/Btrrwshn..._web_copy_link

Yeah, it's a big, ungainly backpack. MP-21 has a backpack, but it's smaller and neater. It would seem that the properly proportioned Beetle gave the designers more room to work with in terms of hiding parts in both modes and shifting things around. Here, because the designers wanted the Penny Racer proportions, there was no way the designers would get that cartoon-accurate chest out of the Beetle cabin and roof, so everything had to get folded up and away.

I don't really care for G1 Bumblebee, but even so, aside from the proportions, I don't think this warrants a purchase if you already have or are eyeing MP-21 - unless you're a completist, a big Bumblebee fan, or you really want the most cartoon-accurate look possible.

Man, the reaction to this has been brutal, but I get it, the feet and back are far from great. On the other hand, they're going for slavish cartoon accuracy and all that mass (mess?) has to go somewhere to get the right bot proportions.

Inb4 "what episode of the cartoon did Bee have a big backpack and feet spurs"

I think it has to be mis-transformed. Surely the feet and back kibble fold in better than what is being displayed.

If not... then I am happy to display it in vehicle mode

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Seems to be a real mixed fan base for poor old Bee - but aren't we spoiled for choice? VW accuracy with MP-21 and now toon accuracy with MP-45? Technically isn't this already the + version of MP-21, but because it's a redesign, not a retooling, it gets a new MP number? I've grabbed the + version of Red Alert and a pre-order on Wheeljack as I think they've benefited the most from the anime colours, not splashing out on Prowl, Shockwave or Bluestreak though... But I've gotta get me a toon version of BB!!!
    100% sir! Good problems?

Anything G1 I’m a sucker for so I’m always in. I am surprised by the level of hate. The nostalgia feels I have for Bee are high and I like this figure so far
    Sometimes all you need is a little energon and alotta luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Man, the reaction to this has been brutal, but I get it, the feet and back are far from great. On the other hand, they're going for slavish cartoon accuracy and all that mass (mess?) has to go somewhere to get the right bot proportions.

Inb4 "what episode of the cartoon did Bee have a big backpack and feet spurs"
    I would debate the cartoon accuracy because of all the visible folded panels. I mean, at a quick glance this looks pretty good but the more time I spend looking at it the more I think it doesn’t even really achieve the toon accurate look.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain