Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiss Action Figure Drum Kit

Galvatran Guest

Very nicely done. Now the band needs a stage.

That is next. Currently house painting. Then I will start.

I do have the rhinestones for the Kiss logo at the back of the stage thanks to M-Bot.

The stage for the figures and drum kit is in progress.

I have built it out of a pine base with ply wood sides. The base warped when I cut it off the longer piece so I soaked it in water and left it under my car wheel for a couple of days in the driveway. Nice and flat now.

I then made the amps for for the stage. I taped them in to blocks of four so I could line up the tape and speaker cones. I then spray painted them with chrome spray paint I have for the Kiss axe bass I am making my son. I also built the drum riser.

For speakers I tried drawing/painting 12mm circles but they were too small. At OfficeWorks I found 14mm black dot stickers. They definitely don't bleed under the stencil.

I have also added an early version of the foldback monitors but they were too wide so I have trimmed them down a bit and not put the stickers back on yet.

As a backdrop over the drummer and in between the amps I have made a Kiss logo out of thick cardboard and painted it. The diamontes has not been glued yet but they normally have spotlights on the logo so I hope they will twinkle with the lights I will be using.

https://nl8ajw.sn.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none

For the figures, the QC is not good. They hardly stand up because of the platform shoes and one figure has a leg that is slightly short (not sure if that is human accurate). I have drilled holes on an angle and embedded wire into the board and glued it. This will then work as pegs to go in to the holes on the bottom of their feet. I also put two sets in front of the drums so the guitarists can lean back to back while playing.

Love it, looking forward to seeing the finished stage

So I finally finished it yesterday. I am uploading the photos to my OneDrive to link to but I am actually happy for once with something I made. I still see issues but I can except some of these.

So, I decided to add lights as well. I couldn't find my small soldering iron and ended up stuffing the circuit board for the first set of lights. The wire thickness I bought didn't help either. I got the first lights at Target a year or two ago for this. They don't have them any more so had to get them from Amazon. This is what I used.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Paladone-P.../dp/B01HGKP4CU

There are 6 LEDs in the light. 2 green, blue and red. It also has two modes. Cycle flash where it rotates each individual colour and then mixes two ate a time as well. The other mode is react to sound/music. The LEDs were soldered to a board so I had to unsolder them and all wires. I was going to make spotlights for the LEDs which would hang off "scaffolding". I black spray painted 6 plastic shot glasses and glued a round mirror to the bottom. I then used strips of disco ball stickers to line the whole inside of the glasses. Because the mirrors were cheap the glue damaged the backing and they no longer reflected. I ended up doing something different.

I was trying to work out a safe but accessible space for the base of the lights with the battery compartment to go. Other than gluing it on the outside walls I couldn't think of anywhere. Then my stupid brain created more work for me when it said to embed it in the drum riser. I had to cut a hole in it on an angle so the base would line up flush. I then had to fill the gaps and paint it all again so it was not obvious it was there.

I also needed somewhere for the switch to go to be accessible. I ended up embedding it in a bit of wood I glued to the side of the drum riser to make it flush with the left hand side.

After the spotlights failed, I decided to use the dome from the top half of the lights as my lighting rig. I screwed a piece of dowel from the front of one side to the other to hang them on. I ran the cables from under the drum riser, through a hole, along the outside of the wall and back in again at the lighting rig. I used a hacksaw to cut the dome and made tops out of flexible black chopping board with mirrors double sided taped to them for extra reflection.