2 11.11%
  • No or not interested for all

3 16.67%
  • No or not interested for Rescue Patrol only

0 0%
  • No or not interested for Spy Patrol only

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Siege Micromasters (Wave 2)

As someone who really likes their Legends class cassette-bots (particularly the bird mould), I am still liking the Cybertronian Laserbeak. The $20 is a hard sell though.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Gok, I think you're being a bit too harsh on these guys. The line is called War For Cybertron after all, not War For Earth.
    Ravage shouldn't look like a panther and the alt modes shouldn't look like cassettes - I just think of them as Cybertronian data packs.
    You could also justify Ravage's bulkiness by thinking of it as armour.

I'm going to get roasted for this post aren't I?

Lazerbeak is totally amazing, and a joy to transform (almost identical to the G1 cassette). Ravage (and I love all Ravages) is the toy only a parent could love. He's difficult to transform, and mine kept leaving shavings of plastic (maybe it was a qc issue, but one of the joints on the leg would scrape and take little shavings off).

I resent that the missiles aren't straight (angled upwards) and while I will add him to the collection he's not nearly as good as the Generations iteration, or the MP, or the original.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I saw these today and the cassettes are tiny. Much smaller than I expected even with the comparison photos above. They look very poor value compared to the Micromasters in their size class.
    The Cassette pack is indeed way over priced. I saw them yesterday, and next to the Battlemaster Blowpipe pack that was next to it, it had the same amount of plastic for twice the price.
    Blowpipe looked to be a little bigger than Laserbeak, while his gun barrel and yellow fireblast were about the size of Ravage.
    I thought I took a photo of the two packs next to each other, but only have this one... which even shows Pteraxadon having about as much bulk as the two Decepticons combined...

The Micromasters seem a little expensive at $10 each, considering that quite a few Botbots and some Tiny Changers are the same size, but cost $5 each... it will make it difficult to buy these two, particularly if they are the more sought after pack and sell out faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Gok, I think you're being a bit too harsh on these guys. The line is called War For Cybertron after all, not War For Earth.
    Ravage shouldn't look like a panther and the alt modes shouldn't look like cassettes - I just think of them as Cybertronian data packs.
    You could also justify Ravage's bulkiness by thinking of it as armour.

I'm going to get roasted for this post aren't I?
    That is the gimmick of this particular Generations series... none of them have Earth modes (yet)... so assigning them Earthen animal modes or even alt-modes, is inaccurate (even if it is officially done by Hasbro somewhere... if they still had bios or functions). The cartoon and comics may have tried to explain the existence of non-humanoid "animal" forms in various ways over the years, but really it comes down to the fact that it is an alien race, and having most take on a biped form like us humans is just something that Takara (and then Hasbro) needed to do to make the toyline sell. We even saw in the first episode of the original cartoon, Laserbeak appeared to be more of a jet with a moveable nose/cockpit (like Beast Machines Jetstorm), rather than a bird. And Ravage could be no different to the 4-legged spider-tanks we've had since the Unicron Trilogy, which were often their alt-modes, but why can't it also be the "primary mode" for some Cybertronians.
    Or go back to Gen1 with Skylinx, who also never had a biped primary mode, but I don't think we ever saw his Cybertronian alt-mode to see how that would have changed the look of his pre-Earth primary mode (the bird and/or lynx).

I would've preferred the more jet-like Cybertronian robot mode that Laserbeak had in the G1 cartoon! And a more tank like or even humanoid robot mode for Ravage? Sure. But to me this is another case of Siege being able to decide if it's Cybertronian or Terran. Laserbeak's head is like his Cybertronian form, but the body resembles a bird. Ravage transforms into some vague tailless quadruped creature. And again with many of the other Siege TFs... Swindler is an extremely DeLorean looking Cybertronian car and Sideswipe is a very Lamborghini-looking alien vehicle. He looks even more Lamborghini-like than Universe/Henkei Sideswipe! Yes, we know the legal reasons why, but if this is meant to be a Cybertronian mode then why does he need to resemble a Lamborghini at all? Optimus Prime is still a Freightliner-esque CoE truck cab. Why couldn't he be that armoured vehicle that we saw in the G1 comics?

IMHO the previous Generations WFC and FOC lines did a better job in terms of giving characters more alien-looking Cybertronian alt modes. Many of the Siege vehicle modes don't look alien to me at all, they just look like generic Earth vehicles, which is the standard for CHUG alt modes anyway. Sticking the word "POLICE" in Autobot text on the sides of what otherwise looks like a very Earthen police car doesn't make it Cybertronian. Look, I'm happy to get a lot of the Siege toys that I've been buying but I personally do not see any of these are Cybertronian vehicles. Yeah, I know that they're officially meant to be, but I can't suspend disbelief because they look too Earthen. I just see them as Earth modes and I personally cannot unsee it.

e.g. I was happy to get WFC Megatron - it's Megatron in his Cybertronian form. Cool. I've seen/handled Siege Megatron which to me, looks like another Earth-tank Megatron like Combiner Wars, Titans Return etc. I'm perfectly happy with my CW Megatron so skip skippedy skip! WFC Megatron got my money because it covered a concept that didn't already exist in my collection. Siege Megatron doesn't.

Voice inside my head: You're skipping Siege Megatron and yet you blew your money on 2 different types of Cyberverse Megatron.

What? Shut up, me!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I would've preferred the more jet-like Cybertronian robot mode that Laserbeak had in the G1 cartoon! And a more tank like or even humanoid robot mode for Ravage? Sure. But to me this is another case of Siege being able to decide if it's Cybertronian or Terran.
    Yes, I agree Siege doesn't know what it wants to be. However, my criticism is that it doesn't look Cybertronian enough, rather than not looking Terran enough.

Im sure the kids love them either way!

These are way to expensive for what you get. I will buy them on sale

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'll be getting the rescue team if I ever find them (still looking for the wave 1 Micromasters).

They look fine and my only gripe is I would have liked them (all of them) to have elbow joints.

Hoping they complete the teams they released and bonus points if we get Mudslinger from the Off-Road Patrol team.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Im sure the kids love them either way!

These are way to expensive for what you get. I will buy them on sale
    I was gonna say, this would be even more expensive for kids. For us G1ers one of the great things about Micromasters was just how inexpensive they were. We were able to amass considerably sizeable collections in relatively short periods of time using just our pocket money. Even after adjusting for inflation, these new Micromasters work out to be about the same price as the G1 Micromaster Patrols, but with half the number of figures so they are effectively twice the price of the G1 Micromasters.

In 1989 I was able to collect all of the Micromasters - they were that inexpensive. You can see in this photo taken in 1989 several Micromasters down the bottom left corner -- I had all of them but the others were out of shot.

If I were a kid today I would only be able to collect half as many figures with the equivalent amount of pocket money. Granted there are fewer Micromasters to collect atm, but then there's the rest of Siege that I'd want to collect too. The whole idea of Micromasters was to make Transformers more affordable since we were entering what Paul Keating would call in the following year, "the recession we had to have." Downsizing Transformers to make them cheaper to produce but then still charging a premium price kinda defeats the whole point of making Micromasters in the first place.

My Stakeout is fine, but Red Heat is ridiculously floppy and loose even by Siege Micromaster standards. Will have to fatten up the ball joints because out of the box he doesn't even come close to being able to hold a standing pose.

Ravage is... not as good as Laserbeak. But I absolutely love Laserbeak. I hope they redeco these a bunch and also give us some other molds in the same family. Can't wait to get Soundwave.