View Poll Results: Studio Series Optimus Prime (Bumblebee movie) - worth buying?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 85.71%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

1 4.76%
  • No

2 9.52%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - SS-38 Studio Series Optimus Prime (Bumblebee movie)

Default Toy Review - SS-38 Studio Series Optimus Prime (Bumblebee movie)

Studio Series Optimus Prime (Bumblebee movie)
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 6
    Released here - Not yet (Asia & America APR 2019)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU $50-60 (US $33)
    Approximate Size - 17 cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Truck cab
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Accuracy to concept arts for the Bumblebee movie
    Main Colours - Red, blue, dark grey, black
    Main Accessories - Blaster rifle

This is a beautiful toy. The portions and details of the robot mode are not completely accurate to the final on-screen CGI, but IMO a VERY good attempt. Robot mode doesn't feel hollow and feels dense. I managed to transform between robot and truck modes without looking at the instructions. And I didn't have the problems that some fans complained about online. No parts/flaps fell off during transformations - not even the head/neck pieces. I had no problem at all keeping everything in place in truck mode - but your mileage can vary of course. Transformation is involved but never frustrating (I actually had more issues with things getting in the way when transforming the old Evasion mould). Lots of folding, but overall a smooth experience for myself. I really like how the front windows of the truck cab form the robot chest - as a Prime toy should!
    Plastics used are a little rubbery - but I understand it's for tolerance issues for the complexity at such a small scale. The rear leg panels near the ankles don't tend to stay in place but I feel they are a relatively minor issue. Ankles can tilt side to side. You can point the feet downward but not upward - losing some scores here! But given how most joints that you can expect are all there - you can still put him in a lot of dynamic poses. Knees are not double jointed but you can fold them more than 90 degrees. Finally a G1 Prime toy done with movie level modern details. I really love this toy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am incredibly keen for this. I love how barrel chested the robot mode is.

Any word on if we're getting this at local retail?
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Any word on if we're getting this at local retail?
    No idea. I didn't wish to miss out and got mine (Hasbro version) from Robotkingdom. It seems certain retailers in Hong Kong were able to order two different case packs: (a) Wave 6 Voyager assortment (1 Optimus + 1 Rampage), or (b) Voyager Hero assortment (2 Optimus).

TT is also releasing their version (as well as Shatter) in Japan this weekend (both characters from Bumblebee movie), instead of with the other 3 non-BB movie Studio Series releases at the end of this month. If you preordered from HLJ you would have been charged a few hours ago.

I've had it for about a week now and have transformed it a few times (no instructions, but the double twisting torso took a bit of figuring out). It's not very intuitive and at times seems too complicated for it's own good. I like the finished bot and vehicle modes, but the typical Studio Series transformation is a bit convoluted. I'm leaning towards the Siege Prims for overall being more intuitive and having better 'play value', but not looking quite as good.

I am kinda miffed that there's no trailer. It's a mostly empty box on wheels, c'mon Hasbro - try harder! I'd have preferred a Leader class size with trailer than the Voyager without.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Love this figure except for 2 things.

1. Moving his ankles untabs his leg assembly, making posing him frustrating at times since you're constantly having to retab his legs back in.

2. In vehicle mode, the top of the truck grill doesn't sit flush. I've seen on others and pics here all have the same issue, so just seems like a general design fault where the hinge doesn't fold enough to sit flush.

I hope the eventual OS KO will fix these issues and with a size bump we'll get to appreciate this great design even more.

I also love this design so much I'm seriously thinking about getting the 3A DLX version that was just announced.

umm, what is Bumblebee doing to Optimus in this shot? With his legs cocked like that

Do I have a dirty mind or does that look a little sus? Pull my smokestacks harder Bumblebee, lol
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Got this toy today but it came with two left door ladder panels, with one of them assembled on the right side of the truck and the right panel is missing. This makes it impossible for the panel to tab in. Otherwise the rest of this toy seems fine. Haven't had a decent play with either mode as I spent a lot of time trying to get the panel to tab in before realising that it's the wrong side panel that's been put into place.

Going to ask for a replacement part but until then I'm stuck with an SS38 that cannot fully transform into truck mode.
    Update: the online dealer has offered to send me a replacement panel

Also, here are some pics:

In box

Robot mode, front

Robot mode, back

My two left side panels

My main criticism (albeit a small one) about this toy...

It bugs me whenever any toy doesn't have a faction logo, but with some other Studio Series figures I get that it's because the original screen model didn't have it and that they're trying to screen accurate. But in this case Optimus Prime does have Autobot logos on his shoulders, so I see no reason why they were omitted.

It's more complex than one might think, but the transformation is fairly intuitive and doable (it was just impossible for me until I realised that mine was misassembled ). A more major criticism are the gaps on the rear on the vehicle. I think that making the thigh panels able to swing in and cover that gap would've helped, but I suspect that it would've blown the budget as the rest of the toy has soooo many different moving parts and panels. It's something that they would be able to do on a Leader Class figure, but given that this is a Voyager it's something that I can overlook. And there is a trade off; while it does have that gap, it does bring some new features which are absent on previous COE Optimus Prime trucks, including:
    * the sleeper cabin
    * a slimmer rear section of the truck which attempts to better hide the robot legs rather than just having a pair of chunky robot legs tucked up
    So I think this is where much of the budget was also absorbed into - having the legs transform to try to make it look as realistic as possible.

While this isn't a flawless toy I do think it is a very good one and I would absolutely recommend it.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 15th April 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Took some pics in truck mode (left side only until I get that replacement panel )

You can see the unsightly gap beneath the sleeper cabin, but you can also see that this rear section is rather thin, trying to hide the fact that they're a pair of robot legs.

Dark of the Moon Deluxe OP's trailer fits in quite well with SS38

G2 Laser OP's trailer also fits this toy. I don't own Ultimate OP anymore and I've never owned Voyager DOTM OP so I can't try those trailers. If you're looking for a trailer to fit this toy what you're looking for are:
    1. a trailer with a 5mm post hitch
    2. the proportions of the trailer and length of hitch needs to be right to plug into SS38 and still have both the cab and trailer stand properly

Made a thread comparing SS38 with G1 and other Movie Optimus Primes here

Got mine int he post the other day after giving up the hunt in shops for one since its release here in Japan. Serious, 4 shop hunts going to at least 3 shops each time and being unable to find one... He's a popular boy.

I like him a lot. Very good pose options and lots of moulded details have made him a nice "every-series" Prime. Great head sculpt and greeble details, but not too many IMO.

Transformation is pretty simple, but I find the panels a bit fiddly to deal with. I like the way the back panels fold up and cover the wheels and lock in, it's pretty nifty. I also like the G1-esque arm motion when going between forms, a nice little TFing touch. The the way the head locks in the vehicle mode is very tight and as a result I have a tendency to pull his head off first, over unlocking the panel.

Nice paint, but I dislike the lack of Auto insignias, like Gok. and I wonder how much different he'd look with blue hands.

A nice dynamic Optimus, and the first Optimus I've bought in at least 4 years.