Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: A Universal Block

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2nd Jun 2011
    Location
    Rylstone
    Posts
    8,059

    Default A Universal Block

    Just a suggestion. Tonight I've been messaged by several members telling me about another member that I have on my block list quoting me and arguing against me. To keep the peace of Ozformers, a wonderful site, I have refrained from reading these posts or replying.

    Is there any way we can have a Universal Block like on Facebook? As in an option where when you block someone so you can't see their posts, they in turn cannot see yours? It may make this site a more peaceful place.

    It would also stop people feeling the need to reply. It can be quite frustrating when someone on your block list writes a large rebuttal to something you have written and then others tell you about it, as your natural inclination is to write something in return.

    If such a thing as a 'Universal Block' is not fesible, perhaps a notification sent to people such as 'Please be aware Member X has put you on their block list. Should you quote or comment on their posts you should expect to receive no reply'.

    Anyway, just a suggestion

  2. #2
    Join Date
    10th Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    385

    Default

    I'm all for this. I've been hesistant to "ignore" people for this very reason, that they can still respond to me even though I won't see it. A universal block would be much more preferable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    35,880

    Default

    Good idea.

    I also just keep on scrolling and ignore people that I've blocked. It somewhat amuses me that people would continue to interact with me even though I've long stopped interacting with them (just goes to show that some people are more interested in talking at you than with you).

    Hint: if I haven't responded to you then you're probably on my Ignore List.
    (cos let's face it, I'm not exactly shy when it comes to hitting that Reply button )

  4. #4
    Join Date
    7th Feb 2013
    Location
    2164
    Posts
    8,208

    Default

    I've never understood how quoting a blocked individual would result in that post being seen by the blockee. I assume it's because the person quoting it isn't blocked. If both were blocked, then nothing would be seen?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    35,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I've never understood how quoting a blocked individual would result in that post being seen by the blockee. I assume it's because the person quoting it isn't blocked.
    That's correct. So if you were to quote someone who's on my Ignore List, then that person's post becomes visible to me via the quote. Of course, I personally keep scrolling down as soon as I see the name of a person I've blocked and elect not to read it anyway.

    But the issue that Trev's raising is that when a user is blocked here the blockee isn't notified. So say if I were to block you from your end nothing looks different. It's up to the blockee to notice that someone has stopped responding to your posts and realise that they've been blocked or otherwise ignored by the user. I think what Trev's suggesting is whether or not we can make the board's Ignore function more similar to Facebook. And I can see the merit of this suggestion because it means that people who make attention-seeking provocative posts would immediately realise that their audience is dwindling, thus reducing their motivation to make such attention-seeking posts. It's like isolating the naughty attention-seeking child - once they realise that they have no audience then the behaviour ceases.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    30th May 2011
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    (cos let's face it, I'm not exactly shy when it comes to hitting that Reply button )

    He's become self aware.

    The later it gets, the less sense I will make (usually anything beyond 19:30 Qld time).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Chadstone, Vic
    Posts
    14,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Is there any way we can have a Universal Block like on Facebook? As in an option where when you block someone so you can't see their posts, they in turn cannot see yours? It may make this site a more peaceful place.
    I don't know about this as it's not always mutual. Just because someone has blocked me (waves at the person who can't see this post until it's quoted, hello) doesn't mean I don't want to see their posts.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    10th Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I don't know about this as it's not always mutual. Just because someone has blocked me (waves at the person who can't see this post until it's quoted, hello) doesn't mean I don't want to see their posts.
    Yeah but maybe they don't want you to see their posts.
    If I block someone because I'm sick of them replying to me, I'm going to still be annoyed if I know they are continuing to reply to me and I no longer have a chance to defend myself (yes, even if it is self-imposed). Basically, I just don't want certain people talking to me whether I can see it or not.

    Perhaps the compromise could be to offer people both options.
    The current option to ignore means people would still be able to read what you say, but you can't read what they say.
    And the more extreme option of blocking means neither of you can see each other.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Chadstone, Vic
    Posts
    14,508

    Default

    It's all theoretical and dependent on what's possible in the current version of the board's software (which is two major versions behind so don't hold your breath) but it's a bad sign of how far this forum's mood has fallen when we have to get this stage where this is necessary because people can't stand criticism.

    I've never blocked anyone, so can anyone tell me if you have blocked someone and they start a thread, can you see it? Would you even know the thread existed as others replied?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    10th Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    it's a bad sign of how far this forum's mood has fallen when we have to get this stage where this is necessary because people can't stand criticism.
    Criticism I can stand, certain individuals I cannot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •