• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if (something else)

1 7.14%
  • No

2 14.29%
  • Not even interested

3 21.43%

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Megatron (BW)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Masterpiece Megatron (BW)

MEGATRON
    Series – Masterpiece
    Sub-Line - Beast Wars
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - N/A
    Released here – No (March 2019 in Japan)
    Approximate Retail Price - 35000JPY (approx. $450)
    Approximate Size - 26cm
    Allegiance - Predacon
    Alt-modes – Tyrannosaurus Rex
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Light and sounds, hardpoint for mouth blast
    Main Colours – purples
    Main Accessories – hunting rifle, beam effect, toothbrush, swappable faces, adapters for MP Dinobot's stand

MP toy courtesy of Tha_Phantom

Thanks for posting these pics and starting the thread Gok!

So I messed with this figure a bit last night and my first impressions are as follows:
    First of all, yes he is a pricey MP but he is also massive, and I mean really massive! The deco and sculpt (especially in dino mode) is just absolutely gorgeous and dripping in detail, they really went to town with the aesthetic and I love it.
    Before I got home to work out how to transform it, Gok and I had a lot of fun just messing with the dino mode at a cafe (as a NSW resident, this is the first Masterpiece Megatron I have legally been able to take out in public ). The dino mode has a pretty decent range of articulation, they even worked some movement into the tail and the mouth opens wider than you'd probably expect. Speaking of the dino mode, the only robot parts that are visible are the robot knees, otherwise everything else is very well hidden, and the robot knees are only noticeable if you really look for them. Overall they've done very well here!
    The robot mode is very well articulated and represents the CGI cartoon faithfully, it looks great and balances quite well in various poses. Otherwise, there isn't much to say, it is great though.

Now for the bad. Please note I am only speaking for my own experience, so if you have had a better experience then I am happy for you.
    The robot mode transformation was quite scary due to all the panels and tabs. I was so scared I would break it extending the waist hinge for the first time. Transforming the back kibble was also scary just due to the thinness of the plastic and how complicated it is to all fold away. Going back to dino mode I had some trouble getting everything to fit together, but overall it works. I don't want to scare anyone into not buying it, as nothing actually broke on mine, but just be careful is all. Now I understand this complicated transformation is necessary to make it as CGI faithful as possible, but the end result is a very delicate feeling Transformer, so just be mindful of it.

Overall I'd give him 8/10. He loses points for a scary transformation, but once he's in either mode he looks absolutely exquisite.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Thanks for posting these pics and starting the thread Gok!

So I messed with this figure a bit last night and my first impressions are as follows:
    First of all, yes he is a pricey MP but he is also massive, and I mean really massive! The deco and sculpt (especially in dino mode) is just absolutely gorgeous and dripping in detail, they really went to town with the aesthetic and I love it.
    Before I got home to work out how to transform it, Gok and I had a lot of fun just messing with the dino mode at a cafe (as a NSW resident, this is the first Masterpiece Megatron I have legally been able to take out in public ). The dino mode has a pretty decent range of articulation, they even worked some movement into the tail and the mouth opens wider than you'd probably expect. Speaking of the dino mode, the only robot parts that are visible are the robot knees, otherwise everything else is very well hidden, and the robot knees are only noticeable if you really look for them. Overall they've done very well here!
    The robot mode is very well articulated and represents the CGI cartoon faithfully, it looks great and balances quite well in various poses. Otherwise, there isn't much to say, it is great though.

Now for the bad. Please note I am only speaking for my own experience, so if you have had a better experience then I am happy for you.
    The robot mode transformation was quite scary due to all the panels and tabs. I was so scared I would break it extending the waist hinge for the first time. Transforming the back kibble was also scary just due to the thinness of the plastic and how complicated it is to all fold away. Going back to dino mode I had some trouble getting everything to fit together, but overall it works. I don't want to scare anyone into not buying it, as nothing actually broke on mine, but just be careful is all. Now I understand this complicated transformation is necessary to make it as CGI faithful as possible, but the end result is a very delicate feeling Transformer, so just be mindful of it.

Overall I'd give him 8/10. He loses points for a scary transformation, but once he's in either mode he looks absolutely exquisite.
    Great write up. But what we really wanna know is, ah, how's the crotch?

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Great write up. But what we really wanna know is, ah, how's the crotch?
    Baha, the question on everyone's mind! Well the one on my Megs seems fine, if I'm being honest the back kibble worries me more.

Okay, just had another mess with it, going from beast to robot for the second time. Yeah I overreacted before about the transformation, it's not so scary once you know what you're doing. I'm upgrading my rating of him to from an 8 to a 9/10.

Overall I am happy with MP-43 and would recommend it!

I rate this guy very highly. A lot of fun and just looks ridiculous. The crotch on mine has a few cracks.

I voted Only If as its a damn expensive figure and if you had no attachment to the line or character then you may be a little underwhelmed.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain