Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian - a live-action Star Wars television sho

All up I found the first season kind of bland. I enjoyed the experience of watching it, but in hindsight it was not super memorable or interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie_76 View Post
    Probably be on Bluray/DVD sometime soonish.
    There's no confirmation that it will ever get a release on physical media, unfortunately.

Netflix shows usually make their way to home media.

Amazon shows usually don't.

There's no precedent for D+ so we just have to wait and see I suppose. I think it will come eventually, but not for a long time.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Mando is one of the best things to happen to Star Wars (SW) ever. I hate the term normies which some nerds use to describe casual fans as opposed to the die hards. I think using casual fans is more appropriate because most people have a life outside of SW. Mostly. Mando has pretty much brought the SW fanbase back together with many plot threads being intertwined from the movies and shows. Those that have not watched The Clone Wars, Rebels or Rogue One are in this sense casual fans imho. I think Mando is introducing amazing characters outside of the casual fan's perspective while respecting the hardcore SW fans.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    I think Mando is introducing amazing characters outside of the casual fan's perspective while respecting the hardcore SW fans.
    I think Mando is respecting everyone tbh. A quality production, through and through.

Im really enjoying this show, so much so that I've entertained the idea of dropping $60 at EB Games for the Mando & (can we say his name?) The child Black Series set

I'm quite enjoying it too. Especially the latest episode. No spoilers, but damn if my inner fan boy didn't love it

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Enjoyed the series. Is everything what the sequels were not and it sells toys. I bought stuff because of this series, I bought nothing from the sequels trilogy, it says a lot. Hope they keep it up.

The Mandalorian's great. I'm a little cautious about the whole raft of new shows announced as being set within the timeframe of the Mandalorian an hope that it's not setting up an MCU style connected universe that relies upon seeing all the shows to keep up. Hopefully it's more like the Netflix Series, which connected but focused on their own corner of the world.

I think I've put my finger on why it feels like such a great continuation of the original movies. The Mandalorian goes back to the same sources inspiration of the original trilogy - westerns and samurai films - and tells stories out of that inspiration, rather than using the original Star Wars films as your inspiration the way the new trilogy does. It also helps that Feloni is so involved with this series - he really is Lucas' true heir in terms of the Star Wars story. Feloni understands why the characters and their character moments are so important - find his description of why Duel of Fates is more than an epic lightsabre battles and actually forms a lynch pin of the prequels and the saga as a whole. Kathleen Kennedy may have been Lucas' pick to run the studio, but Feloni is truly the one to helm the story telling.

1.Seraphim, what you said about westerns and samurai films is also well reflected in the main theme of the score.

******************* SPOILER ALERT*****************************

2. The ruthlessness of Kathleen Kennedy astounds me. Her plan to turn Bobba Fett from a peripheral character to a main character via his own movie was shot down in flames by the Star Wars fandom. So what does she do? She uses a backdoor approach to ensure Bobba gets his own series instead.

If the Mandalorian is anything to go by, I hope she succeeds.

The second season was alright. On balance probably not as good as the first, but then a good deal of season 2 was essentially backdoor pilots for stuff like Ahsoka and Book of Boba Fett.

The show reminds me of the early 2000s ongoing sci fi shows you'd get like Stargate SG-1. Now, to be clear I absolutely love that show but it's not the highest quality television out there. It only really rises to that next level twice so far as I'm concerned - the episode The Marshall was great front to back, and the second half of The Prisoner (where Bill Burr got to have his moment with his old commanding officer). The rest of it is television comfort food.

I think I enjoyed the 'experience' of watching more than the show itself, on balance. Having a little Friday night ritual with my fiance where we'd hustle home from work, quickly hit the gym and then sit down to watch the episode was really nice.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

What's the logic behind Cara's figures being more sought after now?
    I know what happened, but what's the difference between her character and someone that kicks the bucket on the show? Does being fired increase your market value?