Some people keep track of their collections, on listings or databases, or to quote an approximate number to others... not to compete or gloat against others. (it also helps with official records like insurance or promotional material)
So what would your definition of the following be?

Toy -

Merchandise -

Or more to the point, what would be included and excluded from those definitions?
How playable must an item be to be classified as something intended to be a toy?
And does anything that is officially licensed, count as merchandise, no matter how unusual or disliked it is?
And yes, toys could be considered merchandise, even if it is a Toyline first that generates its own merchandise (like Transformers).

(some of you may know why I'm asking about a definition for merchandise, because if I am to submit a total count of all Transformers merchandise that I own, do I count everything with an official Transformers label on it... because previously, I've only ever counted "toys" which I had originally deemed as being items intended to be played with, but is that definition accurate as well?)