• Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 12.50%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Scrapmetal

I noticed that the side of the box for Scrapmetal has a Devastator head instead of an Autobot symbol (even the Decepticon toys have an Autobot symbol, which annoys me for being a wasted opportunity)... so maybe this is a way for non-fans to know that this is part of a special team (not that the boxes needed it if the Decepticons had Autobot symbols on theirs, and people buying these would already know they are part of Devastator).

When the last Constructicon is released, I think transforming the team all at once from either mode and then combining them, will be a big project.

Thanks for the review.

I’m in just to flesh out the Decepticon ranks.

For a movie 'bot that Hasbro had to pretty design from scratch this is a really nice figure.

I like how his chicken leg configuration makes him a short little 'bot.

Also love the silver "spine" details on the back, as well as the search lights on the shoulder which he used in the underwater "ze little one" sequence (although after going back to look at that particular scene again it's debatable if that was meant to be Scrapmetal..)

This is my first SS Constructicon but from the looks of things all of them have turned out to be excellent so far. Really hope this high standard is consistent across the board with the Constructicons so we can enjoy the individual 'bots more before the big event.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    For a movie 'bot that Hasbro had to pretty design from scratch this is a really nice figure.
    I think this lack of a decisive screen model has allowed the designers a greater degree of creative liberty which has worked in the toy's favour. Trying to achieve screen likeness is often something that impedes a toy's design. Even the best made screen-like toys tend to be good in spite of screen-likeness rather than because of it. IMHO toys tend to be better when screen-likeness is a lower priority (if a factor at all), and Scrapmetal is an example of this. Similarly Cogman. Contrast this with Shatter; I'm not saying that screen-likeness is the source of this toy's problems, but it sure ain't^isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post

I like how his chicken leg configuration makes him a short little 'bot.

Also love the silver "spine" details on the back, as well as the search lights on the shoulder which he used in the underwater "ze little one" sequence (although after going back to look at that particular scene again it's debatable if that was meant to be Scrapmetal..)

This is my first SS Constructicon but from the looks of things all of them have turned out to be excellent so far. Really hope this high standard is consistent across the board with the Constructicons so we can enjoy the individual 'bots more before the big event.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think this lack of a decisive screen model has allowed the designers a greater degree of creative liberty which has worked in the toy's favour. Trying to achieve screen likeness is often something that impedes a toy's design. Even the best made screen-like toys tend to be good in spite of screen-likeness rather than because of it. IMHO toys tend to be better when screen-likeness is a lower priority (if a factor at all), and Scrapmetal is an example of this. Similarly Cogman. Contrast this with Shatter; I'm not saying that screen-likeness is the source of this toy's problems, but it sure ain't^isn't helping.
    Maybe this belongs in the "things you never realised" thread, but I recently found out that Scrapmetal is not a unique, all-new design. He is based on concept art by Paul Ozzimo, one of the concept artists who worked on the movies.

The name was Hasbro's nickname for 'ze little one'.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Maybe this belongs in the "things you never realised" thread, but I recently found out that Scrapmetal is not a unique, all-new design. He is based on concept art by Paul Ozzimo, one of the concept artists who worked on the movies.

The name was Hasbro's nickname for 'ze little one'.
    This is correct.

There are very few solely completely toy only movieverse characters.

Figures of characters that never appeared on screen usually have their origin in early concept art for the films too. Eg TF07 Incinerator, HFTD Tomahawk and a bunch of others.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.