Thread: When did Transformers toys first get released in Australia?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default When did Transformers toys first get released in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Transformers were on Australian store shelves in 1984.
    Sorry, I'm breaking the rules of this thread by correcting this because it's not a false fact. Transformers toys did come out in some independent stores in late 1984 but they didn't hit the majors until 1985. I know this because I bought my first TFs, Brawn and Huffer, from an Uncle Pete's Toys in Sydney CBD in the summer of '84. It was by fluke because my mum was taking my brother and I to watch a piano concert that neither of us really wanted to go and see, so to shut us up we swung by a toy store on the way - I grabbed Brawn and my brother got Huffer. We played with those toys intensely during that concert, so I very distinctly remember opening those toys and playing with them for the duration of that entire concert. Couldn't tell you much about the music.

I know I wasn't the only kid who had Transformers at that time, and I've spoken to other Aussie collectors who've said that they got TFs around then as well. But it indeed would not be until 1985 when I saw Transformers appearing in major stores like Grace Bros, Target, Kmart etc., as well as in other independents like Toyworld (ahh, back when Sydney had Toyworld).
    Last edited by griffin; 25th May 2019 at 10:28 PM.