View Poll Results: Do you own the original versions of the Classicverse updates?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes all of them

0 0%
  • Yes most of them

7 50.00%
  • Yes some of them

6 42.86%
  • No, none of them

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What characters do you have the Classicsverse version but not the original?

Default What characters do you have the Classicsverse version but not the original?

What characters do you have the ‘Classicsverse’ version of but not the original toy?

With more and more obscure characters getting the Generations treatment each year, my ‘Classicsverse’ individual character collection has almost overcome my relatively extensive G1 character collection. If I was to count multiple versions of the same character over different Generations lines then the Classicsverse number is definitely bigger. There are still plenty of G1 characters I have that have yet to get the Classicsverse treatment, but that number is rapidly dwindling and is mainly made up of Micromasters and other little subgroups.

So what Classicsverse/Generations characters do you have where you don’t also own the original toy it was based on?

(Classicsverse = Classics, Generations, Universe, HFTD, RTS, Thrilling 30, Timelines, Titanium, CW, TR, POTP, Siege etc)

For me personally, most of the characters I have Classicsverse versions of but not their originators are Pretenders or Japanese Releases. But of course there are other ones as well I haven't gotten around to adding due to their high prices on the secondary market.

So my list:

Autobots
    Airazor
    Brainstorm
    Chromedome
    Circuit
    Cloudburst
    Crosscut
    Firebolt/Firedrive
    Getaway
    Ironfist/Fisitron
    Landmine
    Lio Convoy
    Metalhawk
    Nightbeat
    Orion Pax
    Optimus Primal
    Overair
    Repugnus
    Road-Police
    Sawback/Lione
    Shuffler
    Slamdance
    Stripes
    Sundor
    Twinferno/Doublecross
    Wheel-Blaze

Decepticons
    Apeface
    Banzaitron
    Black Arachnia
    Blowpipe
    Bludgeon
    Caliburst
    Darkwing/Blackwing
    Dezarus
    Doubledealer
    Dreadwing (G2)
    Drillhorn
    Fangry
    Guyhawk
    Hellbat/Fellbat
    Ironbison
    Leozack
    Octopunch
    Overlord
    Pounce
    Rampage (BW)
    Sky Shadow
    Skyhopper
    SoundBlaster
    Strika
    Submarauder
    Thunderwing
    Wingspan

I wont list the hundreds of characters I do have that got the Classicsverse treatment, so I'll just pop in some recent photos

Video HERE

Video HERE

Honourable shout outs to the following 80's characters I have that appeared in G1 but didn't get a toy in the G1 line, instead having to wait for the Classicsverse treatment

Autobots
    Alpha Trion
    Arcee
    Chromia
    Elita-1
    Impactor
    Junkheap
    Moonracer
    Nova Prime
    Novastar
    Scrounge
    Sentinel Prime

Decepticons
    Acid Storm
    Darkmount/Straxus
    Ion Stom
    Nova Storm
    Nightbird
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 30th October 2019 at 02:10 PM.

For me:

* Artfire
    * Greatshot
    * Lionizer
    * Metalhawk + Vector Prime (Pretender Shell)
    * Lione (Sawback)
    * Shuffler
    * Swoop (blue chest)
    * Overlord
    * Guyhawk
    * Killbison
    * Dezarus (sorta)
    * Hellbat
    * Dai Atlas
    * Sonic Bomber
    * Roadfire
    * Electro

And I have Big Powered incoming.
    Basically anything G1 that was never released here, or in the case of Overlord, I just never found in stores. CHUG has been an awesome way for me to fill in gaps in my G1 collection without paying scalperrific prices. Same with some MPs (e.g. Blue Streak, Cordon etc.). And this is why I prefer to see future Generations toys cover "new: (i.e. previously not done) characters that haven't been redone before (e.g. G1 Barricade etc.). Redoing G1 TFs that have already been done as CHUGs before usually doesn't interest me unless it significantly outclasses the previous version... but on the whole I prefer to see "new" characters. And I don't mind seeing proper new characters too like Off-Road, Cybaxx, Slash etc.

I'm not including CHUG toys that never existed before (e.g. Arcee, Alpha Bravo, Rook etc.) as that's obviously an impossible standard.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 23rd August 2019 at 07:22 PM.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Mine would kinda be the reverse of most 80's kids here.

I had limited 84 cast, cheap figures from 85 cast, then more in 86 and from there a continuing upward trend through to Action Masters.

So any of the classics from the first couple years are kinda new figures to me, while a lot of the stuff from TR and POTP I did have the originals for.... and in that same theme, I'll list characters I'm really hoping to see classic versions of:

Sureshot
    Slapdash
    Firecons
    Dogfight
    Backstreet
    Windsweeper (botcon doesn't count)
    Spinster (again, botcon doesn't count)
    Fangry (how we didn't get one out of that Doublecross mould is crazy)
    Squeezeplay
    Monstructor
    Apeface
    Snapdragon
    Doubledealer (a proper one)
    Pretenders (proper ones)

Still, can't be greedy... I never thought we'd get new versions of Flywheels, the clones, P/CP, Monssterbots, Terrorcons Darkwing/Dreadwind, Gnaw.... so it's been a good run before we've come back to Prime, Ironhide, Prowl, Ratchet, Zzzz.....

*I'm using the original names of the characters in this list. I know some of them have been renamed due to trademark/other reasons.*

Superion/Aerialbots
    Computron/Technobots
    Abominus/Terrorcons
    Slag
    Sludge
    Snarl
    Inferno
    Prowl
    Smokescreen
    Perceptor
    Gnaw
    Octane
    Punch/Counterpunch
    Wingspan
    Pounce
    Cloudraker
    Fastlane
    Chromedome
    Highbrow
    Weirdwolf
    Skullcruncher
    Submarauder
    Skullgrin
    Bomb-Burst
    Cloudburst
    Metalhawk
    Landmine
    Octopunch
    Blackjack
    Megatron (G2)
    Lio Convoy
    Last edited by Tha_Phantom; 5th June 2019 at 11:02 AM.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Literally everyone that isn't Vortex.

If we're counting G2 versions of G1 molds then also Optimus Prime.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Spinister (again, botcon doesn't count)
    Fixed for you (autocorrect struck again!)
    I know what you mean about con/club exclusives not counting, but to me they feel CHUGgish if they're redecoes of CHUG moulds.
    e.g. FunPun Clench and Pyro serve as CHUG Obliterators to me since they're repaints of CHUG moulds. Having said that, they stand on my BotCon/FunPub shelf and not my CHUG shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Windsweeper (botcon doesn't count)
    Spinster (again, botcon doesn't count)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I know what you mean about con/club exclusives not counting, but to me they feel CHUGgish if they're redecoes of CHUG moulds.
    e.g. FunPun Clench and Pyro serve as CHUG Obliterators to me since they're repaints of CHUG moulds. Having said that, they stand on my BotCon/FunPub shelf and not my CHUG shelves.
    I don't know if you would count Timelines as CHUG, but I think that CHUG is a well and truly redundant term now. Hence why I use 'Classicsverse' and I reckon Timelines, considering it's reimaginings of characters that have come before, definitely fits under that umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    (Classicsverse = Classics, Generations, Universe, HFTD, RTS, Thrilling 30, Timelines, Titanium, CW, TR, POTP, Siege etc)
    So characters I have that are from Timelines that I don't have the original of are:

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Autobots
    Airazor
    Brainstorm
    Chromedome
    Circuit
    Crosscut
    Firebolt/Firedrive
    Getaway
    Ironfist/Fisitron
    Landmine
    Lio Convoy
    Metalhawk
    Nightbeat
    Orion Pax
    Optimus Primal
    Repugnus
    Sawback/Lione
    Shuffler
    Stripes
    Sundor
    Twinferno/Doublecross

Decepticons
    Apeface
    Banzaitron
    Black Arachnia
    Blowpipe
    Bludgeon
    Caliburst
    Darkwing/Blackwing
    Dezarus
    Doubledealer
    Dreadwing (G2)
    Drillhorn
    Fangry
    Guyhawk
    Hellbat/Fellbat
    Ironbison
    Leozack
    Overlord
    Pounce
    Rampage (BW)
    Sky Shadow
    SoundBlaster
    Strika
    Submarauder
    Thunderwing
    Wingspan

Since Ramjet is the only G1 toy I still seem to have my entire collection now is MP or classicsverse etc

Misread the question, my vote should have been 'Most of them' rather than 'Some of them'.

I kind of prefer the G1 city/base-mode bots for size reasons - the Titan classes are too big for me to be able to display. Sky Lynx is another G1/Encore-only bot for me - the CHUG version doesn't really get the alt-mode/s right IMO.

Besides that, though, I mostly try and limit myself to one version of each character and/or mold, and I sort of prefer CHUG over G1 where possible.

For me personally, my G1 collection is rather small. It's mostly limited to reissues, though I do have a handful of vintage G1 toys. I get really disappointed when I get most G1 toys. They are just so different from the cartoon model and I really want something that looks like what I saw on the show.

On the other hand the only G1 characters I'm missing from my CHUG collection are Junkheap and Scrapheap, which never got a toy in G1, and Artfire.