Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece style has changed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Masterpiece style has changed

Hey guys,

I've noticed that the Masterpiece figures have moved towards more cartoon style is that correct? There doesn't seem to be a lot of detail on the figures itself. Noticed with Hound and compared to say my MP Soundwave on the hands and legs there is a lot less detail.

Makes it almost too plain.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It changed since MP01 <- personally that is a masterpiece figure

When the scaling came into place < is a action figure (realistic style)

Then you have a "no paint" period and bunch of "fans" supported this move

Then things changed actually since Ironhide mp "cartoon style" but with paint. this followed with Ratchet, Inferno, Grapple, Megatron, and Sunstreaker. As much as some feel the cartoon look is plain looking, the toy itself actually looks a lot better than the half painted ones Wheeljack, Shockwave, Ultra Magnus < gets away a bit because of size, but the finish is dull.

So its been a while in case you never noticed. Personally I can't care less anymore as Takara was not consistent with the entire line. The fans are divided in actually knowing what they want and whenever TT makes something not great, fans will still find "excuses" to support it. I am glad the line is more or less slowed or even concluded. I am just waiting for MP44 and be done with TFs as TT doesn't seem to be keen in making fresh designs, and even when they do now, it cost $200-$400 for a masterpiece.

I was never a 3p collector, but when I see how much better Fantoys makes TFs, I was easily converted.

Where have you been these past few years?!?!

I?d say the cartoon style with less detailing started with Ultra Magnus though was more obvious with Ironhide onwards.

For me personally I prefer the older style which balanced real-world detail with cartoon accurate design. It wouldn?t bother me so much if not for the fact that the pricing has also increased which gives the impression we are getting less value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    For me personally I prefer the older style which balanced real-world detail with cartoon accurate design. It wouldn?t bother me so much if not for the fact that the pricing has also increased which gives the impression we are getting less value for money.
    Same, I preferred the older style more. As much as I love them, my Grapple and Inferno in particular feel/look somewhat plain to me in their robot modes.

I'm with Trev and Ralph.

I lost interest rapidly around the late 20s/early 30s. Hound looked interesting but when I saw that the robot mode has little fake wheel 'nubs' on the legs I turned completely off it.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Is a bit of a shame, because if MP Jazz does release it be toon accurate while I actually prefer the realistic Porsche 935.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Where have you been these past few years?!?!

I?d say the cartoon style with less detailing started with Ultra Magnus though was more obvious with Ironhide onwards.

Haha yeah its been a while. I check in every now and then and I'm not a MP collector, with the exception of the Gigapower figures. They looked too good!

Yeah I didn't notice the cartoon design until I saw Hound recently.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The changes are driving my bonkers, I liked what mp10 had, a homage to the g1 toy (transformation) and its own thing in terms of design aesthetic (it was just a damn cool looking robot) , sure it wasn't a "collectors" figure like mp01 was but it was a more functional toy and still worth of being a masterpiece.

But take mp36, yeah it looks amazing and its transformation is worthy of that design award takara got, but...why so much paint, on areas far too close to panels, even if you're being ultra careful but without following the manual step by step 100% you're gonna scratch it off...I offer applause to anyone who'd transform him on a daily basis on sheer memory alone

And that's another thing, their designs have went from a way where you can work out a transformation by "feel", you can FEEL where parts go and which order to do them, but now you need to study the given order or risk damage both the paint and parts themselves, not to mention the qc has been degrading (thank you mp coneheads -_-), its why the mpm line was making me happy since they're close to those old ways until we got mpm bumblebee movie version which is a slap in the face (as its not accurate to anything on screen), rushed or giving 3a that little edge I don't know, and honestly don't care, it just sucks.

So in short transformation design isn't to what I prefer and accuracy can be questionable at times (especially since so many g1 mp's now are all front some sides and no back, well the new prime has a good back but its huge and bumblebee 2.0...big yikes from me)

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    So its been a while in case you never noticed.
    Of course he's noticed. His very first lines were:

Quote Originally Posted by primatives View Post
    Hey guys,

I've noticed
    It's the whole topic of the thread - the fact he has noticed

Then you have a "no paint" period and bunch of "fans" supported this move
    Can you clarify what you mean by this please? I have dozen's of MP's and not a single one of them is a block of grey. They all have paint. Which exact MP's are you referring to?

Is it you are differentiating between coloured plastics and metal with paint applied on top? Because it's essentially the same make-up; Plastic colourants are chemical compounds made up of dyes and pigments. Paints are also made up of dyes and pigments (primarily pigments). It's just that one is embedded within the material during production and the other is applied after. So coloured plastics are simply a material with the paint embedded. So yeah, curious as to which MP's you are talking about when you say 'no paint'.

And I'd respectfully suggest that anyone who is willing to shell out the money that MP's cost, be that a decade ago or now, would have to be a fan. Otherwise why would they spend that kind of money? I don't spend $90 on a Beyblade as I am not a fan. I spend that much on a Transformer because I am. Depending on what you mean by 'no paint' I think your inference may be mildly insulting to a lot of "fans". Or is it that your definition of a fan is someone that likes a TF figure that you do not? Again, clarification requested.

Personally I can't care less anymore as Takara was not consistent with the entire line.
    Then why are you taking the time to comment upon it?
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 27th June 2019 at 05:30 PM.

I like them all in their own ways. Could some be better? Sure. But I'd rather have them as they are than not at all.

To an extent many of the issues identified do have merit but I'm not going to piss all over fans rights to have their own opinions - so long as they aren't stupid or a whinge for nothing more than the sake of a whinge.