2 13.33%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 6.67%
  • Not even interested

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Siege Reflector (Refraktor)

If Hasbro had released Refraktor as a Leader class toy with three small combining figures in a Leader size box and a Leader size price tag ($90-100 / $70 on sale) but no other changes from what we get buying three separate deluxes would we think it was a good buy? I think we probably wouldn't but because we're buying three things separately ($20-$35 each) does it seems like we're not spending leader class prices - even though we are?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    If Hasbro had released Refraktor as a Leader class toy with three small combining figures in a Leader size box and a Leader size price tag ($90-100 / $70 on sale) but no other changes from what we get buying three separate deluxes would we think it was a good buy? I think we probably wouldn't but because we're buying three things separately ($20-$35 each) does it seems like we're not spending leader class prices - even though we are?
    I would love for an exclusive set of the three bots in G1 deco.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I wouldn't even classify Reflector as a Deluxe class figure. 3 Commander class figures for $90 is a bit of a rip when you look at it like that.

I got Kmart to price match Big W (as their online catalogue clearly shows Wave 3 Deluxes) so I paid $19 each, which is close to the price of a Commander Class figure ($18).

More photos

Robot in disguise

Up till now I've been fan moding the Mortar^camera mode with the robot arms resting at the back. Didn't realise I was doing it and I guess it was out of G1 bias. But I flipped Spectro and Spyglass around and transformed them the same way as Viewfinder then reattached them, and sure enough it creates a better looking and more solid camera. Upon closer examination of the stock photo this is the correct way to transform them for this mode.

Here are rear views of the official way (top) and my previous unofficial more G1-esque transformation (bottom).
    The arms don't tab in anywhere on the unofficial mode, they just dangle there. Nor do the legs really lock in. But with the official mode everything locks into place and the robots all connect more tightly.

Now of course the official mode doesn't show where to place the remaining two lens pieces. I'd been using one as a film winder and lifting Spectro's head as the main switch like on the G1 toy. But it looks a bit goofy (especially from behind with the exposed robot face). Another way is to simply place both remaining pieces atop Spectro and Spyglass and imagine one as the winder and the other as the main/shutter speed switch. <shrugs>

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Now of course the official mode doesn't show where to place the remaining two lens pieces. I'd been using one as a film winder and lifting Spectro's head as the main switch like on the G1 toy. But it looks a bit goofy (especially from behind with the exposed robot face)
    Mind you, the official way has two robot chests on the back (rather than the more generic greeble of the floating arms)... so what difference is a face added into the mix?

I do agree, though the arms locked in makes more sense. I've just tucked them away on mine (with the head-button, which is faithful to G1).

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Where do you find the official combined mode instructions from? I've managed to work it out myself but I'm not sure everyone would be able to figure it out.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Where do you find the official combined mode instructions from?
    It's not in the instructions but the official transformation for the combined Mortar Mode is shown on the back of the box, but yeah, somewhat odd that they didn't bother to include it in the instructions. Not sure why.

Tha_Phantom was mucking around with my Reflector recently and flipped up Viewfinder's feet to form a faux-viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    If you have 3 you can make a better-looking jet mode. Of course, the camera is the main draw, but the combined jet is a thing you can also do if you feel like it.

(image belongs to PrimalFury off TFW2005)
    I've given that fan mode a try, and honestly the pictures are a bit misleading - it doesn't hold together that well, and aligns a little crooked too. I've already come up with a couple of alternate fan modes that (IMHO) are a lot more interesting and stable. I'll take some pics later if I get some time.

Also - when in their 'compact' form for the camera, we could always just say they're disguised as energon cubes lol

Overall I'm really enjoying these guys as a set, fingers crossed for a G1 toy set with new colours, heads and the extra camera parts - I would happily double-dip on these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Also - when in their 'compact' form for the camera, we could always just say they're disguised as energon cubes lol

Overall I'm really enjoying these guys as a set, fingers crossed for a G1 toy set with new colours, heads and the extra camera parts - I would happily double-dip on these guys.
    Supposedly there's a G1 toy inspired boxset in the works, according to Daim Choc on FB