Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese crowd-funding project for gold Optimus and STARS set

Default Japanese crowd-funding project for gold Optimus and STARS set

Something interesting for those in Japan (unfortunately, if you want this, you have to get someone who lives in Japan to pledge on your behalf)... a crowd-funding project for some retro items that have been released in Japan in the past.

The details are come from a Japanese source, so translations might be a little off...
    There are two pledge points, but the difference in the two packs appears to be negligible, with what could be a personalised frill being the extra.
    The cheaper point is 16,800yen (about AU$230), while the higher price point is 22,000yen (about AU$300).
    The set has a golden "statue" Gen1 Optimus Prime like the competition figure from quite a few years ago in the original Generations book, which is stuck to the base plate, but can still transform. It also comes with a reproduction of the Japanese S.T.A.R.S. mailaway kit... which is a similar concept to the Hasbro one, but everything is completely different (even the cardboard base you build is different to the Hasbro one).
    Also included is a book that is said to contain packaging art (probably a Japanese version of the Legacy book).

The pledge period is from July 1st to August 31st, and they need at least 2000 pledges for it to go ahead, with 500 of the higher priced packs available (I guess once those 500 are sold out, people can only pledge to the cheaper option). They also note that if it is really popular and goes above 3000 pledges, they will offer more items.

I'm so down for this if it goes ahead. That S.T.A.R.S kit is the icing on the cake.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I just replied to this with follow-up comments a few minutes ago... and the post has disappeared.

???

Now I gotta remember what I said.

Something about... as much as I'd love to have a golden Gen1 Optimus and the STARS sets (Hasbro and Takara), I feel that producing 2000+ Optimus trophies cheapens the original ones that were already produced for those who won them.... and I don't get the point of having something that looks like a trophy if you didn't win it. I'd prefer to have the toy, in a box in robot mode, and have that on the shelf, instead of this thing.

I was also pondering about, is this the future of collectables by toy companies, who don't seem to know or trust their customers to take the risk of producing these things without it being pre-paid first by the customers.

Interesting. It's not something I want, but I find this a particularly interesting thing none the less.

I'm down.
    Now, will I be needing a Phillips head or pliers to seperate the Prime from the base?

I would kill for a clean (unsullied, unsoiled) STARS kit from my childhood, and never knew there was a Japanese specific version. But are these official and licensed, or some fanboys dream? Especially the Optimus Prime.... given there are so many KO variants, were they thinking of using that or an actual Optimus release from Takara?

Hasbro did something recently for GI Joe with the Cobra Missile Base (a paper display), so I would hope they follow suit with the US version of Stars. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    are these official and licensed, or some fanboys dream? Especially the Optimus Prime.... given there are so many KO variants, were they thinking of using that or an actual Optimus release from Takara?
    Yes they are licensed, by the same company that did these clear figures.

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I would kill for a clean (unsullied, unsoiled) STARS kit from my childhood, and never knew there was a Japanese specific version. But are these official and licensed, or some fanboys dream? Especially the Optimus Prime.... given there are so many KO variants, were they thinking of using that or an actual Optimus release from Takara?

Hasbro did something recently for GI Joe with the Cobra Missile Base (a paper display), so I would hope they follow suit with the US version of Stars. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    I'd say that these are official, as it looks to be promoted through a source that has had a lot of promotions and exclusive (redeco) Transformers toys in the past.
    I don't think I was aware of a difference either... unless this one is not an exact replica, and the original Japanese one was indeed the same as the Hasbro version.
    I too would love to have that Hasbro one, as I had it as a kid, but it went missing during one of the moves in the late 80s. It can go for a lot of money on ebay now.

It looks like a mix of gold paint and vac plating, but still I wants it!

Up for order at Omocha Café
    $500

https://www.omochacafe.com.au/PreOrd...q5WrtC1x4rY3gM