Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COMICS

Default COMICS

OK so.
    i look at all the comics you guys read, and i have access to some marvel g1 comics, but i was wondering what you guys would suggest for comics i can find in retail to start getting into. im more into the cool drawings, not so much like the marvel g1, but more like the war within comics.
    so yeah since i want to start collecting comics, any advice about which series i should go for would be much appreciated

So you're more interested just in the art rather than stories? In terms of just sheer art, I would actually look at the TF manga... but for TF comics outside Japan I think the E.J. Su is the best of what's out there atm. I also like Guido Guidi although I found his AHM work kinda disappointing. Most of them are reasonably decent (though I'm not a fan of Ruffolo), so it's a matter of taste. Go browse around your local comic store and see what you like. One advantage of Western comics vs. manga is that they're not shrink-wrapped (although that can also be a disadvantage from a collector's POV).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So you're more interested just in the art rather than stories? In terms of just sheer art, I would actually look at the TF manga... but for TF comics outside Japan I think the E.J. Su is the best of what's out there atm. I also like Guido Guidi although I found his AHM work kinda disappointing. Most of them are reasonably decent (though I'm not a fan of Ruffolo), so it's a matter of taste. Go browse around your local comic store and see what you like. One advantage of Western comics vs. manga is that they're not shrink-wrapped (although that can also be a disadvantage from a collector's POV).
    i like both the art and the story line, thats why im starting to sift through my marvel g1 comics, but for one reason theyre too hard to read for me. i like having a comic in my hand, and would love to have a shelf full of them some day. the spotlight on blur art is the sort of art im more into, but im not sure what the story lines are like etc... im sorta a comic noob :P

TheDirtyDigger Guest

If you're a comic noob like you state I would say read everything that you can get your hands on and then make judgement calls later on what you purchase as you'll have more of a feel for what artists, authors and eras you like.

Get Generation 2 comics, they are so 90s!!!

ok so ive just read vol 1 of war within, and must say it does it for me... so whats similar to this?

volume 2 is similiar

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    ok so ive just read vol 1 of war within, and must say it does it for me... so whats similar to this?
    Stormbringer.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime
    ... but for TF comics outside Japan I think the E.J. Su is the best of what's out there atm.
    I think we're among the very few people who think so. But then, its a matter of opinion i suppose.

Dreamwave's Generation One series are worth looking at too. The first aint great and you could skip that and go straight to the second series. The third's the best but it picks up story threads from the second series so you can't really just jump on in.

ive got vols 1 2 and 3 of the dreamwave g1 series already so ill look into them, but im also looking for stuff thats comming out at the moment, that ill be able to buy easily and actually own, any ideas?
    what are the spotlight comics like? they look cool