Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obscure Transformers

I'm pretty sure the Animorphs toyline would meet the definition of Obscure as laid out in this thread.
    They did have a book series and show, but neither were Transformer branded (only the toys were).

I do have a question though and sorry if it's already been answered, but if the same character has different toys within the same line is it no longer obscure?
    For instance most of the Animorph characters got different toys. So is Ax not obscure because he has a toy that turns into a scorpion and another that turns into an andalite?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then the only truly obscure Animorphs are Rachel and Taxxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Animorphs toyline would meet the definition of Obscure as laid out in this thread.
    They did have a book series and show, but neither were Transformer branded (only the toys were).

I suppose by this definition Star Wars, Street Fighter II and most Marvel Transformers are also Obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    I do have a question though and sorry if it's already been answered, but if the same character has different toys within the same line is it no longer obscure?
    For instance most of the Animorph characters got different toys. So is Ax not obscure because he has a toy that turns into a scorpion and another that turns into an andalite?
    Andrew's definition counted media, not appearances. So as far as toy-exclusive characters are concerned, I'd say that each new toy of that character is like a new appearance, just so long as they have made no other appearance in Transformers media, then yes, they are Obscure.

There are over a dozen different Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader Star Wars Transformers toys, but since no Star Wars canonical material exists in the Transformers universe, one could argue that Anakin/Vader counts as an Obscure Transformer. Plus he doesn't even exist in Star Wars canon, as the Transformer toys are all transformable mecha; a few come with the Anakin/Vader pilot figurines, but the core toys themselves don't exist in Star Wars. They're just Transformers who have scanned vehicles from the Star Wars universe. Forget G1 Wheeljack, Jazz, Smokescreen and Mirage disguising themselves as unique race cars, there's a Transformer out there who's disguised himself as the freaking Death Star! Subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I suppose by this definition Star Wars, Street Fighter II and most Marvel Transformers are also Obscure.
    Haha, yeah I went there. Of course I did.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Andrew's definition counted media, not appearances. So as far as toy-exclusive characters are concerned, I'd say that each new toy of that character is like a new appearance, just so long as they have made no other appearance in Transformers media, then yes, they are Obscure.
    Thanks for clearing that up!