Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Transformers

Would the Hauler character then not be considered obscure as he has had a media reference and figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Would the Hauler character then not be considered obscure as he has had a media reference and figure?
    As I said, the Obscure Transformers Website was created before the eHobby Hauler toy was released and any subsequent media appearances. At the time the site was made Hauler had only ever appeared in one episode of the G1 cartoon so he satisfied the definition of Obscure. But yes, now he would certainly not be Obscure which is why he's not on this thread's list.

Handsprime: good call. I think there'd be a number of Obscure Mini-Cons.

I would like to contribute every Beast Wars toy only character, but most of them got cameos in the IDW comics!
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Yeah I get what your going for Gok and happy to play along but I too think I need to go against the definition..

I mean, Rung is by this definition, Obscure.

Whereas the Pretender Vehicles, Ultra and Mega Pretenders (with some exceptions) only had toys with what can best be described as extra's work in a couple panels where they appeared in the background.

That said, in fair play to this thread, how about:
    Rubble
    Geomotus
    Froid
    Sunder
    Fulcrum
    Longview (Heck, all of the Real Gear Robot's?)
    Centurion

I assume we aren't including humans in this list?

Also, pretty sure I met Monzo at a Botcon one year...

List updated. Keep the suggestions comin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I assume we aren't including humans in this list?
    I honestly didn't think of it, but sure, why not? The Obscure TF Web Site has an archive on Fleshies. I'll make a separate list for non-Cybertronian characters using this archive and excluding characters that are no longer Obscure (e.g. G.B. Blackrock).
    Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Also, pretty sure I met Monzo at a Botcon one year...
    That's awesome, dude!

Updated: added some Obscure Armada Mini-Cons and started adding Obscure fleshlings.

Sundor appeared in both Animated in the Allspark Almanac and as a FOC toy, albeit as Sunder. Different from the IDW character however.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

There is only one Sunder in G1. Not to be confused with Sundor. And as you said, the only time Sundor's name was spelt as "Sunder" was in the Aligned continuity which isn't G1. So "Sunder (G1)" refers to the character known as "Sunder" (not Sundor) from the G1 continuity family, not Aligned.

The name Sundor was, of course, originally and officially written as サンドル and is meant to be a play on words between "sun" and "condor." 'Sunder' on the other hand is an English word (English origin!) and is a reference to the Yorkshire Ripper. And "Sunder" would be written as サンダー in Japanese anyway.

Reviving this thread in honour of the late Jhiaxus (aka Andrew Sorohan).

Are there any other Obscure Transformers that anyone can think of (according to Jhiaxus' definition of Obscure TF; i.e. can only exist in one official medium)? Since 2019, I think some Obscure TFs can include:
    * Any of the Bot-Bots who have not appeared in the TV series
    * Enerax and Sheeldron. Any other Battle Masters who are original creations and didn't appear in any comics or TV show?
    * All of the Fossilisers, except Transmutate
    * Tonkanator
    * Red Five
    * Monsterbots, Cyberverse (except Repugnus)
    * Doublecrosser
    * Discharge (Cyberverse)
    * Roadtrap (Cyberverse)
    * Hyperdrive (Cyberverse)
    * Hashtag, Jawbreaker (EarthSpark) & Nightshade; although they'll probably get toys later. Nightshade is already pictured on the back of the Deluxe Class box.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Reviving this thread in honour of the late Jhiaxus (aka Andrew Sorohan).

Are there any other Obscure Transformers that anyone can think of (according to Jhiaxus' definition of Obscure TF; i.e. can only exist in one official medium)? Since 2019, I think some Obscure TFs can include:
    * Any of the Bot-Bots who have not appeared in the TV series
    * Enerax and Sheeldron. Any other Battle Masters who are original creations and didn't appear in any comics or TV show?
    * All of the Fossilisers, except Transmutate
    * Tonkanator
    * Red Five
    * Monsterbots, Cyberverse (except Repugnus)
    * Doublecrosser
    * Discharge (Cyberverse)
    * Roadtrap (Cyberverse)
    * Hyperdrive (Cyberverse)
    * Hashtag, Jawbreaker (EarthSpark) & Nightshade; although they'll probably get toys later. Nightshade is already pictured on the back of the Deluxe Class box.
    * Shotimus Prime (depends if this one counts, as it's an Alternative version of Armada Hot Shot who managed to get the Matrix of Leadership, and his appearance is based off Universe (2003) RID Optimus Prime)
    * If Shotimus Prime counts, then Optimus Prime (Universe 2003) counts as well, although that's even more debateable.
    * DK-2 Guard
    * The Junkions in Legacy Evolution
    * Shadowstrip (if he counts as a seperate character, and not G2 Drag Strip)
    Last edited by Handsprime; 19th February 2023 at 08:32 AM.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures