Series - Generations
Sub-line - Siege
Hypo-line - War for Cybertron
Size/class - Voyager
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 3
Released here - Amazon AU
Approximate Retail Price - $49

It didn't seem that ago that we got the Thrilling 30 Springer but that figure is already 6 years old. I loved it so much and was so certain that Hasbro would not make a G1-inspired Springer in the main lines. Yet here we are, a gorgeously G1 Springer.

CAR MODE:

I absolutely adored this design back in the day; the very best of what is now called "retro-futuristic". This car mode stays mostly true to the G1 design, but also converts some of the curves into harder edges so aesthetically it fits in the line. I wish they even further with the G1 accuracy, to have the back wheels half covered with rotor details so in copter it doesn't have wheels for tail rotor, but it's really just a personal preference. And what they've done really works here to give the car a very sleek look. This is also has one of the best battle damage paint apps in the line imho. Nothing's overly done and what's there really helps give a weathered metal texture.

HELICOPTER MODE

Again just like the car mode, this is so lovingly G1 inspired yet still has the Siege Cybertronian hyper detail military vibe. The wings have a notch to fit the tab on one of the guns which is a really nice touch; and this is where you know the guns are designed to attach to the wings, which also help to partially cover the front tires. The Thrilling 30 rotor blades also this very nicely.

TFTM Autobot crew looking good here.

TRANSFORMATION:

I've handled quite a few 3rd party MP style G1 Springers, and personally, this $30 USD toy does less than all of those but achieves something amazing that rivals the best of them. I especially love the leg transformation: simple yet creates the majority of the visual difference between the car and the chopper. If TT ever gets around to doing an MP Springer, the engineering is half way done here.

'BOT MODE:

Visually, I have nothing to fault this figure. Okay maybe the thighs can stand to be a bit bulkier and understand it's a compromise to get the chopper proportions right. Other than this, really I've got nothing. It's 10/10. Although mine has a little paint chip on the face, it's still a no brainer to me that the head sculpt absolutely DESTROYS all of the 3d party attempts so far. Some of the 3rd party ones you look at them and might go: yeah that looks like Springer. I look at this one and go: this IS Springer.

All of the weapons have a spot to go on the back but the tabs for the swords are on the loose side.

And the one thing that worried me before I open Springer up was the ankles, and yeah, the front to back riveted joint is on the loose side. I suspect it may be the hole tolerance is designed a bit too loose, rather than a manufacturing issue. The good news however, is that because of the way the feet are shaped they stop the figure from falling down so your Springer may have weak ankles and he won't shelf dive easily.

Articulation is per Siege's high standards. It's amazing how much extra you can do with a simple joint like wrist swivel. As long as you pay attention to the figure's center of gravity and use those ankle tilts, the loose ankles generally don't cause any problem.

OVERALL:

The crown jewel of Siege so far imho. I still love my Thrilling 30 Springer but the Siege Springer beats it on almost every front (aesthetics, engineering, and tactile feeling).

This will no doubt end up on a lot of people's top figure of the year list.