0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - SLUDGE (Studio Series 86)

Default Toy Review - SLUDGE (Studio Series 86)

DINOBOT SLUDGE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series (The Transformers: The Movie)
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 9
    Released here - ???
    Approximate Retail Price - $100
    Approximate Size - 21cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Sub-Group - Dinobot
    Alt-mode - robotic Brontosaurus
    Main Features/Gimmicks - no stupid sidekick
    Main Colours - greys, red w/ gold & silver accents
    Main Accessories - gun

As with the other SS86 Dinobots, Sludge is a gorgeous looking blend of G1 toy and cartoon aesthetics. The colours all look great; particularly the choice of that dark charcoal grey; it's close to being black without being black (and thus still allowing the sculpting detail to be more noticeable, as well as being more faithful to the animation palette). Sludge also has a pretty interesting transformation, especially with the robot legs and chest. It's also an even bigger departure from the G1 transformation scheme than Slug^Slag. The robot arms now forming the dino hind legs instead of the front legs, and the dino front legs tuck into the robot's back.

However, this toy does feel like the weakest of the SS86 Dinobots thus far (although it is not a low standard). Some of the joints on mine are a bit loose/floppy. When I was photographing this toy last night, it kept on falling backwards leading me to think that it was too back-heavy. But tonight as I am typing this review, the toy is standing in front of me just fine and even resists falling backwards when I give the toy a few pokes with my finger. Weird. :/ There's also bugger all clearance on the bottom of the dino mode.

That's some flattering angles for Sludge's dino mode...his undercarriage is significant from what I've seen (shame the toes couldn't fold up into the body).

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    That's some flattering angles for Sludge's dino mode...his undercarriage is significant from what I've seen (shame the toes couldn't fold up into the body).
    Yeah, that's what I meant by "bugger all clearance." It must tickle his belly whenever he walks.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The best Dino.

I'm going to be pretty upset if Hasbro don't finish off the group in the '86 line.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    The best Dino.
    If only Ferrari... oh, sorry, you said Dino, not Dino (stoopid English language! ).

I'm going to be pretty upset if Hasbro don't finish off the group in the '86 line.
    Hasbro has said that they will now always complete a set instead of leaving certain figures being "orphaned" as they have done in the past. But I don't blame your concern, as I'll believe it when it happens. We all vote with our wallets, so hopefully enough people are buying this toy (as well as Grimlock and Slag) to encourage Hasbro to make Snarl and Swoop.

Someone came up with a fix for the loose detented joints in the hips: https://www.reddit.com/r/transformer...loose_leg_fix/

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hasbro has said that they will now always complete a set instead of leaving certain figures being "orphaned" as they have done in the past. But I don't blame your concern, as I'll believe it when it happens. We all vote with our wallets, so hopefully enough people are buying this toy (as well as Grimlock and Slag) to encourage Hasbro to make Snarl and Swoop.
    My concern is two pronged I guess.

That they actually make all of them, as you say, no orphaned characters (Venom is going to test this out massively). However, also that they are all released in the '86 line... not one random in the Legacy line, or Buzzworthy, or whatever.

If I could remember where I read it, I'm 99.9868% certain Hasbro I'm some way have confirmed the remaining two Dinos will be produced

My short review, poem style.
    Does your gun hang low?
    Do your joints wobble to and fro?
    Can you keep your arm up?
    Can you hold a simple pose?

My concern is two pronged I guess.

That they actually make all of them, as you say, no orphaned characters (Venom is going to test this out massively). However, also that they are all released in the '86 line... not one random in the Legacy line, or Buzzworthy, or whatever.
    I don't care if the others are released in other lines, as long as they get done. CHUG is already a massively mixed melting pot anyway.