Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrospective Toy Reviews

Default Retrospective Toy Reviews

The purpose of this thread is for posting retrospective reviews of Transformers toys, as opposed to our regular reviews of current toys. As I don't expect people to be writing retro reviews that often I figured that it'd be better to just have one thread for all our retro reviews rather than posting whole new threads for each retro review that would then clutter this section of the board and potentially distract from current toy reviews. If this thread becomes popular enough then I might edit this first post and create an index that will link to people's individual retro review posts.

General rules:
    * This is for reviewing toys that were either released before the OTCA board was created, or released at a time when there was no existing review thread for that particular figure or its line. If a review thread for a toy or its line already exists then please just post there instead.
    * Same basic rules as other review threads; use the standard info proforma and feel free to share thoughts and pics. I am adding "Year of release" as a new criterion since, ya know... retro.
    * Note: this is for new reviews of old toys. If you have an old review of old toys, then please post that on the Reviews of Yesteryear thread. The difference between Yesteryear Reviews and Retro Reviews is that Yesteryear Reviews were current reviews that you wrote long ago (but they toys were brand new when you made those reviews). Retro Reviews are new reviews that you are making now based on old toys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Cybertron
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - Yes
    Year of Release - 2005
    Approximate Retail Price - $100
    Approximate Size - Variable; noted throughout review
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - fire engine
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Planet Key activated weapons, retractable faceplate, Matrix chamber in chest
    Main Colours - red, blue, grey
    Main Accessories - pistol, Planet Key, Matrix, missiles

Fire Engine Mode
    At 32.5cm in length and 13.5cm in height, this is feels like a beast of a toy compared to the ever shrinking size of Transformers today.

The detailed sculpting looks great and I quite like the colours on this toy. The vehicle mode is rather "gappy" in places and the uncovered robot chest and top of the robot head looks kinda weird.

I can forgive the head as at least it is retracted and attempts to hide, but the lack of any attempt to conceal the chest has always been a drawback on this mode to me. I'm not the biggest fan of faux kibble but when they don't even bother to conceal it... <shrugs>. This is also a fantasy fire engine with dual articulated ladders.

The wings also don't tab into place and in time they can be prone to flopping out as the wing joints become loose.

The cab section also looks pretty silly without the trailer component... although honestly it's not a "cab" or "trailer" -- this is meant to be just one fire engine mode, similar to Fire Convoy.

The fire engine mode also has a flight configuration because... ya know. Why not?

Robot Mode
    Height: 21cm

A really nice looking robot mode. I think the colours are done well and I love the use of the dark metallic blue plastic. I also love the G1 accurate yellow eyes on UT Optimus Prime toys as yellow always pops out better against a blue head than blue eyes. I also love the way that the head rises and lowers with the use of a back lever as it reminds me of the way that G1 Optimus Prime (and several other G1 TFs) transforms in the cartoon. The head still has full swivel although lacks up-down movement.

It's a nice, beefy looking robot and it has a surprisingly firm grip on its gun despite having articulated fingers. Toys with articulated fingers tend to suffer from loose grips, but Cybertron Optimus Prime here is an exception to this trend. This is also a really nice looking Cybertronian Optimus Prime. Back in 2005 - long before we ever had a WFC/FOC Optimus Prime or any real Orion Pax toy - Cybertron Optimus Prime was the nearest thing we had to a "Cybertronian (pre-Earth) looking Optimus Prime. And Cybertron Starscream was the nearest thing to a Tetrajet. I remember often playing with my Cybertron TFs as pre-Earth contact Transformers before WFC/FOC came along. The way that the water gun detaches from the right ladder and becomes a pistol is also pretty neat. I just wish that the shoulders could lock into place.

The Matrix chamber in the chest is also really well done. And this was done at a time when this sort of thing was a rarity. Up till then the only Matrices we had were...
    * Lio Convoy (1998) - embedded in chest but non-removable
    * Big Convoy (1999) - fully removable with bicycle handlebars
    * Fire Convoy (2000) - embedded in chest but non-removable
    * New Year Special Convoy (2002) - fully removable in Diaclone cockpit but not able to be held
    * MP01 Convoy (2004) - fully removable and holdable (and openable and illuminable!)

So Cybertron Optimus Prime was really only the third Transformer to have a removable and holdable Matrix. And the first non-MP Optimus Prime toy to have one.

Super Robot Mode
    Height: 29cm with guns facing forwards

This was by far the best super robot moded Optimus Prime toy, and IMO remains one of the best Super Optimus Prime toys ever made. It's big and imposing but still manages to maintain a good range of articulation. Hasbro have learnt their lessons from previous super moded OPs; this toy is much more solid than Super Fire Convoy, it's not a brick like Armada Super Pants Prime, and it's not a fat robot with vehicles stuck to his limbs like "Mega Zord" Super Energon Optimus Prime. And this super mode gives Optimus Prime flight capability without needing to purchase Jetfire.

The way that the weapons deploy with the Planet Key is pretty neat and, like many Cybertron toys, these are fairly non-intrusive gimmicks.

I also really luuuuurv the retractable faceplate gimmick. It's done so much better than Animated Optimus Prime's (cos ya know, who needs a neck?) and I can't think of any other Optimus Prime toy that pulls off this gimmick as well. The head wings don't lock into place and are prone to wing collapse during handling which is a bit disappointing.

Overall thoughts
    By far the best Unicron Trilogy Optimus Prime toy and, IMO, one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever made. Cybertron Optimus Prime and Megatron were also the first Leader Class toys ever, although this was really a new name for the previous Supreme Class which had just one toy - Cheetor. Given that this was the new "Supreme Cheetor," I think that it gave us far superior value for money than its predecessor! Supreme Cheetor is a toy that gives you buyer's remorse but this is a toy that, even now, I still enjoy playing with.

Thanks for that.
    It’s made me “dust” (Playing for an adult) him.

I see you stick with the Hasbro approved wing configuration

I loved this toy when it first came out and I still have a soft spot for it in my heart. It has unfortunately been a long time since that toys has been in the open and is currently sitting in a plastic tub under the bed.

I will note that this was the first instance of the Leader price point, even if it was the first instance of this name. Armada Optimus (Super Base), followed by Energon Optimus, Megatron and Galvatron (Super) were all released at the equivalent leader price-point.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    I will note that this was the first instance of the Leader price point, even if it was the first instance of this name. Armada Optimus (Super Base), followed by Energon Optimus, Megatron and Galvatron (Super) were all released at the equivalent leader price-point.
    I did mention in my retro review that the earliest example of this price point under a different name was the Supreme Class from Beast Machines (e.g. Cheetor) Definitely not the first toy to be sold at the Leader price point but as you have correctly stated it was the first to be sold at that price point under the name of "Leader" class.

Clearly my favourite of all the OPs. It looks more towards the future than the past and as a result oozes so much innovation (the black, red and gray color scheme is better than the standard of red, gray and blue). Cements it's place by constantly being found in the Top 10 lists of the best OPs ever made.
    Last edited by shockNwave; 4th August 2019 at 02:41 PM.

SCAVENGER
    Series - Armada
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Max-Con
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 2
    Released here - Yes
    Year of Release - 2003
    Approximate Retail Price - $70 (by today's standards)
    Approximate Size - 19cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - bulldozer
    Main Features/Gimmicks - "walking," sound effects, missile launcher, Mini-Con ports, rolling treads
    Main Colours - green, black, purple
    Main Accessories - "Rollbar" Mini-Con, missile

Scavenger is a prime example of a toy that was built around its primary gimmick. The toy is slave to the gimmick and thus your view of this toy will entirely hinge upon your feelings towards the gimmick, because that's pretty much all that this toy has going for it. The rolling gimmick serves to generate sounds in both modes. In vehicle mode it causes the shovel to lift up and down, and in robot mode it makes crashing sounds. This toy is notorious for having no true legs, but rather it just moves along its barrel with the shovels dividing into shin pads that move up and down in a thinly veiled attempt to simulate walking. The vehicle mode does sport rolling rubber treads which is cool, although as with many rubber parts they are prone to cracking in time (both treads on mine have cracked).

As with many Armada toys I will give Scavenger points for originality and uniqueness in its gimmick, because truly no other toy in the entire Transformers brand (save its repaint, Treadbolt) has this gimmick. If you love this gimmick then you will enjoy this toy, but there's no doubt that Scavenger critically fails as an action figure. Even if you like this gimmick I just don't know if it's worth the equivalent of what would be a $70 price point if this toy were sold in stores today. What kind of moron would buy this toy?
    *looks at mirror*
    D'OH! XO
    Worth buying if you know that you'll love the gimmick and you can find this toy for cheap.

P.S. that lower lip reminds me of Bubba from Forrest Gump.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 4th August 2019 at 04:34 PM.

Double Retro Review!

BLURR ****************************************** CHEETOR
    Series - Animated ********************************** Series - Animated
    Sub-line - N/A ************************************* Sub-line - TransTech
    Size/class - Deluxe ********************************* Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - new *************************** New/remould/redeco - Retool and repaint of Animated Blurr
    Wave - 5 ***************************************** Wave - N/A
    Released here - Yes ********************************* Released here - No (TFCC exclusive)
    Year of Release - 2008 ****************************** Year of Release - 2008
    Approximate Retail Price - $35 (by today's standards) ***** Approximate Retail Price - ???
    Approximate Size - 19cm **************************** Approximate Size - 19cm
    Allegiance - Autobot ******************************** Allegiance - Maximal
    Alt-mode - race car ********************************* Alt-mode - race car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - spring loaded saw weapon ****** Main Features/Gimmicks - spring loaded saw weapon
    Main Colours - blue ********************************* Main Colours - yellow
    Main Accessories - spring loaded saw weapon ************ Main Accessories - spring loaded saw weapon

I quite like the "Tron-esque" sleek scifi design of the car mode. The electric blue accents that runs along Blurr looks really nice, and the open looking rear wheels also look great (if not impractical IRL, but hey). I don't think that the cheetah colours work as well on Cheetor though. It kinda reminds me of the Beast Riders from Beast Machines (e.g. Che)... umm... yeah? My biggest gripe with the alt mode is the completely open/exposed rear.

I absolutely love the robot mode on Blurr. The slick and streamlined design really suits a speedster robot. So much about the design of this 'bot mode makes it look like it was designed to minimise drag, and the small toes and heel spurs which minimise ground contact also make the feet look like they were designed for speed. Even his head reminds me of helmets worn by velodrome riders. Everything about the robot design screams "speed." I love it. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Cheetor's head. Not only is the "velodrome helmet" now completely gone, but IMO it just looks ugly. The rest of Blurr's body works for Cheetor, but that damn ugly head! Damn!

I understand that the Animated aesthetic isn't everyone's cup of tea, and to this end I do wish that they'd release a new Generations Blurr toy that blends G1 and Animated aesthetics together. I really do love this figure, but the unorthodox Animated aesthetics does make it visually incompatible with Transformers toys from other lines.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    General rules:
    * This is for reviewing toys that were either released before the OTCA board was created, or released at a time when there was no existing review thread for that particular figure or its line. If a review thread for a toy or its line already exists then please just post there instead.
    Sooo.... when was that?

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Sooo.... when was that?
    When was this board established? 2002 IIRC. For more specific questions/discussions about the history of this board then perhaps this might be a better place to discuss it.
    As far as Retroactive reviews for this thread are concerned the basic rule is that if a review thread for a toy already exists on this board then please use that thread. But if a review thread for a non-current toy doesn't already exist then please post it here.

MEISTER / LASERWAVE
    Series - Binaltech
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - 1:24 scale
    New/remould/redeco - new / retool of Meister
    Wave - 7 / 12
    Released here - No (only the plastic Alternator versions)
    Year of Release - 2004 / 2005
    Approximate Retail Price - $70
    Approximate Size - 17cm
    Allegiance - Autobot / Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Mazda RX-8 / Mazdaspeed Version II RX-8
    Main Features/Gimmicks - high detailed vehicle mode, front wheel steering
    Main Colours - white (or red for "Zoom-Zoom" version) / purple
    Main Accessories - rifle

Binaltech truly took the concept of "Robots in Disguise" to a whole new level. Inspired by Car Robot, these are 1:24 scale die-cast metal miniature cars that transform into fully articulated robot modes. The Mazda RX-8 mould, originally used for Meister (Jazz), was also used for his non-sentient clone Zoom-Zoom and then Laserwave (Shockwave).

Laserwave in vehicle mode.

We can see details like the Mazda logo, headlights, indicator lights, grill, tyre treads, wing mirrors etc. Laserwave has additional features as a Mazdaspeed v.2 that Meister and Zoom-Zoom don't have.

Bonnet opened to reveal engine.

Front wheels also turned to show steering gimmick.

Boot opened

You can see more logos, tail & brake lights, mufflers and rear number plate.

Rear interior view.

You can see the front passenger seat (upright position) and rear seats. Each seat has a headrest except for the centre rear seat.

Front interior view.

Here we can see the driver's display (speedometer, tachometer etc.), centre controls (entertainment, climate etc.), steering wheel, indicator and wiper stalks, manual transmission gear stick, park brake handle, fan/air con vents, as well as sculpted lines for the glovebox and air bag panels.

Meister in robot mode with Laserwave in car mode.

Meister is one of the few BTs whose gun is not formed from the engine. In this case it's from the exhaust. Meister was the second BT to have a non-engine gun (the first being Hound).

Meister demonstrating this mould's range of articulation. No extra support here or anything, just raw, natural balance.

A surprisingly well balanced toy.

Meister and Zoom-Zoom in front of an actual Mazda RX-8 car.

Overall: still an absolutely remarkable mould. Being "robots in disguise" is such a quintessential part of the Transformers brand and BT represents the zenith of this idea thus far. I can't think of any other TF line that manages to give you such highly detailed vehicle modes that are practically flawless model cars, that can also transform into fully articulated robots. I've know a lot of people who look at my BTs and ask me why I have mini cars in the middle of a Transformers collection. I took Laserwave into school today and some of the kids couldn't believe that it was also a Transformer. I cannot recommend BTs enough.