• No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

2 11.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Ectotron

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    If a toy has less than 50% of its parts being the same as a previous toy, I usually refer to them as "new with some reused parts" ... as I imagine that the computer program they use these days, has pre-existing parts in it's library, like lego bricks, to re-use without having to create them from scratch (and saves them from creating new toolings).
    I only recently got the Generations Big Powered boxset, and Sonic Bomber (the black jet) is noted on TFWiki as being a retool of Misfire, but just like Ectotron, it only shares some minor parts (arms and thighs). Even the other two may have started out using Skyshadow and Twintwist, but the massive amount of alterations only barely makes them a heavy retool (any more and they'd be "new with reused parts" ).
    Since Combiner Wars, it's been a new addition to my personal scale of new-to-redeco status of new toys. Just looking at this year's checklist, it looks like I have Galaxy Upgrade Optimus noted as that, as there are more new parts than reused parts.
    I think the way I look at remoulds now, especially the more elaborate ones, is that the skeleton/transformation is the transformer, then they mould, or remould a new surface area over the top changing the look from one figure to the other.

It definitely saves time from an engineering perspective if you take an original part and only change the outside profiles. Though there is still a lot of work involved it's not usually as much as starting from scratch.
    I think the description of taking a transformation design and rebuilding another vehicle/bot around it is quite apt in this case, even though it's a completely different assembly of parts isn't the torso of ectotron a very similar shape/structure to that of onslaught?
    I still haven't opened mine, might happen one night this week.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I voted only if cheap
    I had an opportunity to have a fiddle with this figure a few weeks ago & while it's a cool addition to your collection, it didn't leave me with that phwooar feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I voted only if cheap
    I had an opportunity to have a fiddle with this figure a few weeks ago & while it's a cool addition to your collection, it didn't leave me with that phwooar feeling
    Agree. Knowing what it is based on, I’m happy to keep this MISB.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    It definitely saves time from an engineering perspective if you take an original part and only change the outside profiles. Though there is still a lot of work involved it's not usually as much as starting from scratch.
    I think the description of taking a transformation design and rebuilding another vehicle/bot around it is quite apt in this case, even though it's a completely different assembly of parts isn't the torso of ectotron a very similar shape/structure to that of onslaught?
    I still haven't opened mine, might happen one night this week.
    I think John Warden has said in an interview that the lead time on this figure was less than what they would typically allow for, so they didn't try to engineer a figure from scratch. Instead they took known CAD files and redesigned the key features to fit the new character. That way the sizing and alignment of parts to facilitate transformation was already taken care of and all that would need to be done would be cosmetic design.

Makes sense, and after opening the toy last night, not having a combiner torso to compare against on hand, I'd suggest that the torso is a heavy remould, as is the 'design frame' of the feet.

The transformation overall, is quite good and I'm very happy with the way the shoulders transform, I was worried that they would be floppy but the transformation is quite unique. Mine too has loosish knees, it's not a toy killer but it would have been preferred I think if they had been ratcheted, or just a bit tight. Being a pin it's something that's difficult to fix.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Makes sense, and after opening the toy last night, not having a combiner torso to compare against on hand, I'd suggest that the torso is a heavy remould, as is the 'design frame' of the feet.
    It's not. The torso and feet are all new. Everything is new on this mould except for the upper arms and upper legs.

1. The blue hose can be kinda frustrating when attempting to transform Ecto back to car mode but it's an a fun kind of frustration although I recommend keeping this TF out of reach of children because those rubber parts will get worn out in no time.

2. I'm not a fan of retools and less so of repaints (unless there's a good reason) but thankfully the retooling is so minor.

3. TFs with vintage or (in this case) retro alt. modes need to be cherished due to how uncommon they are and Ectotron is retro and then some (it's the Ecto-1 for god's sake).

4. When it comes to storing Slimer, the instructions don't say how but I've found you can sit him on the proton gun or place the gun up his........ I'll let you work that one out for yourself.

Conclusion: An awesome TF and worth the price tag.