2 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Ectotron

Default Toy Review - Ectotron

ECTOTRON
    Series - Transformers (Generation 1)
    Sub-line - Ghostbusters
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Mostly new mould; some parts borrowed from Combiner Wars Hot Spot
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - July 2019 (EB Games/Zing exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - $80
    Approximate Size - 18.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - "Ecto-1"; converted 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance
    Main Features/Gimmicks - 80s nostalgia
    Main Colours - white, beige
    Main Accessories - proton pack, Neutrino gun, Slimer figurine

Too tired to write so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 29th July 2019 at 01:56 PM.

I didn't realise this was a retool until this review!
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

That's an amazing re-tool right there!

The upper arms and upper legs are the only parts from Hot Spot that are reused. Everything else on Ectotron is new, so I don't blame people for not noticing that it's a retool. It's really almost an entirely new mould that's just reusing the upper limb parts from Hot Spot.

As a Ghostbusters homage (and IDW character) this guy is pretty amazing. As a (basically) new mold TF, he's not quite as impressive - though potentially worth picking up just for the unusual alt mode.

Perhaps "borrowed parts" is an arguably more apt description than "retool." Cos yeah, Ectotron does share the same upper arms and upper legs as CW Hot Spot and that's it. Everything else on this toy is new. And the borrowed parts haven't been retooled either (they are identical to Hot Spot's parts, just beige instead of black).

P.S.: I mean "borrowed" in the way that languages "borrow" words from other languages, not "borrow" as in meaning that the borrowed thing needs to be returned.

I am thoroughly impressed with this toy. Not too difficult, but not a 1-step auto-former... and taking into account that this is a limited production of a toy that won't see another usage (reissue or redeco), the $80 price is more than acceptable. So even though it is the size of a $50 Voyager, those two factors should have seen it at about $100. I'd expect it to be more than that on the secondary market once it sells out.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Perhaps "borrowed parts" is an arguably more apt description than "retool." Cos yeah, Ectotron does share the same upper arms and upper legs as CW Hot Spot and that's it. Everything else on this toy is new. And the borrowed parts haven't been retooled either (they are identical to Hot Spot's parts, just beige instead of black).

P.S.: I mean "borrowed" in the way that languages "borrow" words from other languages, not "borrow" as in meaning that the borrowed thing needs to be returned.
    If a toy has less than 50% of its parts being the same as a previous toy, I usually refer to them as "new with some reused parts" ... as I imagine that the computer program they use these days, has pre-existing parts in it's library, like lego bricks, to re-use without having to create them from scratch (and saves them from creating new toolings).
    I only recently got the Generations Big Powered boxset, and Sonic Bomber (the black jet) is noted on TFWiki as being a retool of Misfire, but just like Ectotron, it only shares some minor parts (arms and thighs). Even the other two may have started out using Skyshadow and Twintwist, but the massive amount of alterations only barely makes them a heavy retool (any more and they'd be "new with reused parts" ).
    Since Combiner Wars, it's been a new addition to my personal scale of new-to-redeco status of new toys. Just looking at this year's checklist, it looks like I have Galaxy Upgrade Optimus noted as that, as there are more new parts than reused parts.

I opened mine this morning and I love it. It has loose joints in the knees however, which make standing up straight an issue sometimes. Love the box and the deco and everything.
    Were any of the Bayformers licensed Cadillacs?

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    I opened mine this morning and I love it. It has loose joints in the knees however, which make standing up straight an issue sometimes. Love the box and the deco and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Stockade was inspired by the Cadillac Escalade, but he's not actually a licensed replica. There is no trademark or copyright information on his packaging, and he is referred to as just an SUV.

While there were no licensed Cadillac toys from any of the movies, seeing as Cadillac is part of General Motors, licensing was likely not a problem.