• Only if (something else)

1 12.50%
  • No

1 12.50%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Hightower

Comparison with the Legends Class figure...

In relative terms I find the Legends figure to be superior. It has a nicer vehicle mode both in terms of look with the additional boom and playability with both an extended claw and hook. SS Hightower only comes with a retracted hook that's prone to detaching, whereas detaching the clips on Legends Hightower for the purposes of transformation requires some force; easily doable but not so easy that you would accidentally detach it (and risk losing parts). The robot mode is also much more accurate to the movie design. And of course Legends Hightower is basically a $7 that can also still combine, so in that sense I find that it's still superior value for money than the SS figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

Verdict

Hightower's unique design means he won't be for everyone, but like Rampage, he will stand out on a shelf. I like him because of his unconventional design, and while he's not great as a plaything, as a display piece, he works just fine.

Obviously he's necessary if you want to make Devastator. Otherwise, he's best left to completists or people who like unusual designs.
    Wow - great review mate! So much detail and tons of photos! Well done

I think its great we get the odd 'not humaniod looking' TF now and then. I'm not looking to build the new Devestator but I am looking to fill those gaps of Movieverse characters I don't have toys of yet, so looking forward to picking this weird-looking bugger up.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

He is really growing on me. Little hunched up evil doctor's assistant. I don't really see the Movieverse bots as "Transformers". Too much overt evil monster in the designs. But I have come to appreciate the toys in their own right. Especially the Decepticons. And the Constructicons are coming across with real personality. Stocky grumpy Long Haul. Evil scarecrow in a trenchcoat and fedora Rampage. Only Scrapmetal is a disappointment so far for personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    I see that head and I think

When I look at the body I think along the lines of Clive Barker's Nightbreed. In fact, while I'm at it I'll include ROTF Demolishor as well.
    Last edited by shockNwave; 15th August 2019 at 03:46 PM.

I enjoy this figure quite a lot.

I'm always keen to see more Transformers with non-humanoid robot forms and Earthen alt modes, so this tickles me in that particular way.

That the legs are so posable I think negates the fact that the tiny T-Rex arms don't really do much. It's a characterful figure.

The only practical way to improve the figure within budget may have been to give it some kind of cannon attachment for the crane boom in robot mode.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Wow - great review mate! So much detail and tons of photos! Well done

I think its great we get the odd 'not humaniod looking' TF now and then. I'm not looking to build the new Devestator but I am looking to fill those gaps of Movieverse characters I don't have toys of yet, so looking forward to picking this weird-looking bugger up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I enjoy this figure quite a lot.

I'm always keen to see more Transformers with non-humanoid robot forms and Earthen alt modes, so this tickles me in that particular way.

That the legs are so posable I think negates the fact that the tiny T-Rex arms don't really do much. It's a characterful figure.
    I'm interested in seeing what Hasbro/TakaraTOMY do with Overload - there are two concept versions by artist Ben Procter. One has four arms and two legs (here is a version with Procter's name on it), and the other has four arms and four legs. There is also Scavenger, Demolishor's red-coloured twin brother.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    The only practical way to improve the figure within budget may have been to give it some kind of cannon attachment for the crane boom in robot mode.
    It would have been nice to at least have a 5mm port, so someone could give Hightower another robot's weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I'm interested in seeing what Hasbro/TakaraTOMY do with Overload - there are two concept versions by artist Ben Procter. One has four arms and two legs (here is a version with Procter's name on it), and the other has four arms and four legs. There is also Scavenger, Demolishor's red-coloured twin brother.

It would have been nice to at least have a 5mm port, so someone could give Hightower another robot's weapon.
    I supect two legs might be more practical. There are also version of the design floating around with two arms, two legs, and a scorpion tail too, so what the final Studio Series version looks like is anyone's guess.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

SO I totally understand the complaints about this guy, but honestly I love that he's so freaking wacky (the first word I said when I actually opened him was 'nuts'). Though the lack of sideways movement of the head is a shame, the tread and crane arm add a lot of character, and personally he's my new fav of the constructions because he just looks so weird and alien (though Scavenger was always my favourite of the bot modes seen in the films so I think he'll top that)... but once all the parts arrive I think they'll be staying in combined mode anyway.
    Crane mode is fine, looks realistic and fits with the others.
    Definitely recommended !