Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Transformers toy envies

Might have been from interstate. I also knew just one kid at school who had Megatron in the 80s. He was in Victoria when the Megatron recall happened in NSW and found Megatron still on sale in Melbourne and bought it there.

A kid in 1985 bought his Sideswipe to school. I thought it looked SO good. Wouldn't get one of my own until the Gold Classics version

I was envious of the M.A.S.K. Rhino a kid bought to school one day in 1987. I still remember how cool and big it looked. When I saw one as an adult I was disappointed it wasn't as big as I remembered (or I had got too big)!

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    The other was G1 Megatron. A good mate had this figure somehow as even back then, the word was you couldn't buy him. His Dad brought him home after a business trip (overseas I assume). I was very impressed!
    He was available in some parts of the country such as Victoria. My parents definitely didn't go anywhere international to buy me my Megatron back in the early 80s. They would have most likely bought him at Parkmore shopping centre down the road.

The kid across the road from me when I was in Kindergarten had Hot Rod. I loved it. So much so that one day when he was over I hid it when we went outside to play and hoped he would forget out it. I ended up giving it back to him out of guilt. The other was Divebomb. I remember someone bringing it to school and being blown away at how big it was compared to the scramble city limbs.I was also such a cool toy in its own right. And another was Sixshot. Kid named Alfonso used to bring it to school and he was really awesome because hed let me play with it. He even let me borrow it over a weekend. It was so hard to give it back on Monday.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Heh, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who remembers the names of kids that I used to play TFs with. The kid at my school who owned a G1 Megatron was named Leo. My cousin had Divebomb and Razorclaw and I distinctly remember Divebomb being my absolute favourite Predacon. He still is today. I also knew a kid at school (his name was David) who owned a Diaclone Sunstreaker model kit. At the time I thought the toy was a cheap knock off of Sunstreaker. How wrong I was.

For some ridiculous reason a lot of kids in my school owned a Thrust but they all insisted that it was Starscream. That this was how Starscream came and that you had to paint it in the colours that we saw in the comics, show etc. I kept on telling them that his name was Thrust, different colours, different wings, the fact that there was a separate toy on shelves named Starscream who looked like Starscream... but it all fell on deaf ears.

G1 Metroplex and Ultra Magnus.

Have an Encore Metroplex, could have gotten a reissue Ultra Magnus but passed on it due to having a good Odieverse Ultra Magnus already by then.

Also really, really wanted the Predacons/Predaking, have managed to pick up one of them (a G1 one no less) as well.

I remember, back in the 1840s when I was young, being amazed by Jazz one time another kid at school brought him in. Not exactly envy (I don't know that I was particularly noble in not envying anyone, just that I had a whole bunch of toys, so if it ever occurred to me I didn't have something I'd just get distracted by something else in about two minutes anyway), but just being incredibly impressed. For some reason it was a big deal that he was unique - I had Prowl and Sideswipe, but I knew there were also Bluestreak and Sunstreaker (I think?) who were the same thing just painted different, likewise the vans, and the Decepticon jets, but Jazz was the only one of his kind, and that was somehow a marvel of modern technology (yes, I know there were other unique molds - I had several of them, like Prime - but I dunno, that didn't occur to me?) Also he had a colossal spoiler, which was the coolest thing ever. I did say I was very young.

Going off on a tangent, I also remember another friend having Wheeljack, and I was certain for a good many years that his transformation was the most difficult to master - like, if you could transform Wheeljack without looking at the instructions, you were some kind of higher being. No idea why I thought that. Maybe his owner just told everyone it was too complicated so we'd leave the toy alone and not accidentally break it...

One of my mates had Powermaster Optimus... I did get to play with it a few times and I really wanted one for myself. I ended up getting the G1 Commemorative version.

Another mate had Metroplex... such a cool toy

Sadly when I grew up G1 toys were long off shelves, but I knew what G1 was thanks to my older brother. I can't say I envied anyone around me as no other kids knew what G1 was, never mind had it, but I sure as heck wanted a G1 Devastator, Bumblebee and Powermaster Prime (my brother told me about his one he used to have). I guess I overcompensated a bit on Bumblebee as I have 16 variations of the G1 mould now.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I was pretty much envious of any kid at school who managed to complete a combiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I was pretty much envious of any kid at school who managed to complete a combiner.
    Other than Devastator and Monstructor? Those were pretty easy/cheap to complete. But yeah, completing any gestalt with a boxed torso unit was more impressive.
    I didn't know anyone who had Predaking; different kids who had individual Predacons but nobody who completed the set.