Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Generation Selects Turtler and Gulf (Snaptrap and Skalor) at Zing/EB

Excluding the logistics, the prices are fair considering there's more part support than a standard retail figure

Prices are not favorable. Not liking $60 for a deluxe, $50 would of been more reasonable. Maybe the price reflects, more accessories?, not a general retail release, perhaps a less known/obscure character. Going to have to put money on these as I like collecting combiner teams. Actually pretty excited that I can go into a local retail store and place a pre-order, but not jumping for joy because of the price to collect the whole team in the long run. So it might work out to be 5 deluxes ($60 each ) + 1 voyager ($100) = $400. Imagine an alternative though, say a boxset of repainted terrorcons with very minor retooling for say $250. Might be nice on the budget, but disappointing with the effort. Having both options would be nice though.

Essentially new moulds, and a production run that is likely to be a tenth of the retail Generations toys, with limited redeco potential (particularly at these prices), is the reason for the higher prices.
    Would people have bought these if they weren't accurate to the originals with their modes and sculpting... I think they needed to go the extra mile with making them pretty much from scratch, and charging a lot more for them, as they may not have been able to slot them into the current Generations series.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Essentially new moulds, and a production run that is likely to be a tenth of the retail Generations toys, with limited redeco potential (particularly at these prices), is the reason for the higher prices.
    Would people have bought these if they weren't accurate to the originals with their modes and sculpting... I think they needed to go the extra mile with making them pretty much from scratch, and charging a lot more for them, as they may not have been able to slot them into the current Generations series.
    But turtler and gulf are retool of existing figures, specifically hun-gurr and rippersnapper, they're already saving some RnD cost at the least?

The more I look at them, the more I'm still tempted. I guess going through EB/Zing would be best way to go

Pre-ordered both.

Just remember that if you are wanting these, the listing should come down by Friday, as that's when Hasbro needs the numbers... so order before Friday.
    (the listings were meant to be up for two weeks, but the unplanned listing of Unicron might have gotten in the way)

Pre-ordered both from Zing. Could have saved a few bucks going with Ohmyprimus but I'd prefer to support Zing/EB so they hopefully keep offering these higher end Transformers figures.

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    But turtler and gulf are retool of existing figures, specifically hun-gurr and rippersnapper, they're already saving some RnD cost at the least?
    Blot not rippersnapper.....

I've been getting bugged by comments online for days saying RS.... but no matter how i looked i couldn't see it... so finally found time to look into it just now and figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    Imagine an alternative though, say a boxset of repainted terrorcons with very minor retooling for say $250. Might be nice on the budget, but disappointing with the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    You both have touched on a good point. Sure, Takara could have scaled back the price but would it also mean a lesser effort? We've seen some Combiner Wars sets suffer from laziness.
    I'm totally in love with what I've seen so far of the Seacons and I preordered the first two as it would hurt more NOT to have them. The less you pay for something the better, but it is what it is I guess.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    We've seen some Combiner Wars sets suffer from laziness.
    Indeed... both Technobot sets had figures in each that used at least one mould that didn't replicate an original Technobot, but both were also limited releases so they probably had a limited budget to keep it at a regular retail price... which bugged me a bit to have a one of the major combiner groups not look quite right (similar to the retail Hasbro teams that had a character that was new or the wrong mould, but fortunately corrected later by TakaraTomy).
    Last edited by griffin; 20th August 2019 at 06:43 PM.