Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Siege Micromasters - a misstep?

Default Siege Micromasters - a misstep?

When it was announced that Siege would be Micromaster-only for its "Legends" pricepoint, more than a few fans were miffed that the Minibot team had yet to be completed. Depending on how you view them, Warpath, Huffer and Pipes HAD been done, but not "properly" (Pipes's colours are way off, the others much closer, but the moulds only loosely work for the characters) while Cliffjumper & Hubcap hadn't been done at all.

(Seriously - what the hell does Hasbro have against Cliffjumper - it's been what 15 years and there's not a single dedicated Classicsverse Cliffjumper mould?!?)

The initial reaction to the Micromasters was generally negative; the characters come from the less popular tail end of G1 and while some got fairly decent characterisation in comics (Roadhandler comes to mind), most were pretty obscure. On top of that, the four-member teams are now two member teams.

Fast forward to Siege being roughly a year old, and it seems the market has spoken with deafening silence. While wave 1 (with, arguably, the star of the show, Roadhandler) was elusive in Australia, wave 2 is still everywhere several months after release. There seems fairly little chance the major chains will be placing too many orders for more Micromasters when Stakeout, Red Hot & the tiny cassettes are pegwarming.

For me, the value for money is terrible for kids/parents/grandparents. A quick comparison with say Lego, you just get so much more for your $20. They do not fill their small packaging. The characters - while personally I love Micromasters - are also too obscure to really excite many adult collectors.

What's your take on the failure of the Siege Micromasters? Characters too obscure? Price too high? Poor value for money? Bad designs? Something else?

Discuss.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Well all we've seen of siege micromasters is the rescue patrol and the cassettes, Australian retail missed the 1st wave of these figures and the battlemasters and the 2nd wave is just shelf warming. Hasbro needs to fix it's broken distribution.

Now the rant is out of the way, I've still got my G1 micromasters so I've just been buying the new iterations that are missing from my collection, the combined weapon mode really doesn't work and they fumbled the ball giving them ball joints at the waist and some cases knees, when pinning them would've been better, so I think the price point was a misstep only because of the quality of the figures.

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    What's your take on the failure of the Siege Micromasters? Characters too obscure? Price too high? Poor value for money? Bad designs? Something else?
    Micromasters are the victim of lazy product and marketing strategy.

If there were more of them, and bases available to increase play value. The product would look more attractive. Instead their designs are used as a simple filler to meet the "Legends" price point which is a cheaper alternative to "Deluxes" and "Voyagers". While this long standing strategy has generally worked out for them in the past, for the micromasters it has been a failure both in sales and preventing a great product from taking off. Especially since their "Sub-legends" product the Battlemasters are almost direct price point competition: If you were a parent that had to choose between a $12 stocking filler and a $20 stocking filler both of whom transformed into an accessory for a larger toy, which would you choose?

The toys look too small for the price point compared to (sale) prices on deluxes or voyagers (or even Cyberverse Legion toys). The combined gun gimmick is poor (and Battlemasters fill that role)

For us older fans not having any complete team makes them less desirable.

Laserbeak and upcoming Ratbat are the only two I want but I’d rather Lasebeak had been an accessory with Soundwave (and Buzzsaw with Soundblaster).

I think the current line needs a Scout/Legend class figures. So much of the season one cast has been redone now in Siege that the gaps of Minibots and Insecticons are noticeable, particular with the Deceptixo s (although nearly all those characters have been done over the last decade). I’m hoping the next chapter of War for Cybertron brings them back and does a few of those (a new Gears, Shrapnel, others like Venom, Hupcap) and the remaining Throttlebots, Triggerbot/cons, Sparkabots and Firecons. I’d also not be opposed to a set of Constructicons or Trainbots at the scale.

I personally am very fond of my Siege Micromasters, especially since I lost some of my original ones and the replacements fit well into the collection, scale wise.

What annoys me is the difficulty in getting them, some kinds are overstocked and others not stocked enough.
    If the Targetmasters count for this, for example, Firebolt is missing from every shelf, but there's still many many Calibursts and Lionizers.

Also, I wish they'd made them in complete sets, either as a four pack or two matched twin packs.
    The four pack would be ideal.

The cassettes ones I am not interested in at this time, mostly because they didn't make a Ramhorn and Steeljaw.
    Also, I'm uncertain if those ones are compatible with my original G1 Blaster and Soundwave (probably not).

I loved Micromasters as a kid. I was born in 84 so I missed basically the first few years of G1 toys and Micromasters were on store shelves when I was old enough.

When the new Micromasters were discovered listed on Amazon AU my first reaction was "awesome, I can't wait".

Then the reveal happened and we saw that they were two-character teams instead of four and that was a letdown.

Then I got them in hand and I honestly felt like they were terrible figures with build quality and design.

While I love these characters from owning many of them in G1, I honestly don't like the modern versions. I would have prefered to get a proper G1 inspired Legends scale Cliffjumper, Hubcap, Warpath, Pipes, Huffer and Deluxe Insecticons to complete the sets that have already been started in Legends scale. While we are at it I would have liked Reflector to be Legends scale also, though he's not far off from Legends scale anyway with how tiny of a Deluxe he is.

I had another thought: I wonder if since they couldn't budget to have four member teams and had to stick with two-packs, would VS packs have been appealing? Eg: Roadhandler vs Whisper, Red Heat vs Blackjack, Laserbeak vs Steeljaw etc

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I had another thought: I wonder if since they couldn't budget to have four member teams and had to stick with two-packs, would VS packs have been appealing? Eg: Roadhandler vs Whisper, Red Heat vs Blackjack, Laserbeak vs Steeljaw etc
    I think that would have played better with the adult fandom, in truth.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I think they're too expensive and poor value. When adjusting for inflation these Siege Micromasters are about the same price as a G1 Micromaster Patrol. Only that G1 gave us TWICE as many robots per pack. The Siege Micromasters are literally giving us half the value of G1 Micromasters. One of the great appeal of the Micromasters in 89-90 was the phenomenal value for money. We all remember our collection counts suddenly taking leaps and bounds after Micromasters came out. And of course Micromasters was made for that explicit purpose as the economy slid into what Paul Keating described as "the recession that (we) had to have." Micromasters were born from the idea of value for money!

Having fewer characters per pack also means that we're getting fewer Micromasters being made as CHUGs. We're getting incomplete sets. I now have CHUG Roadhandler and Swindler, but no Freewheeler and Tailspin. I have Red Hot and Stakeout but no Fixit and Seawatch. I have Storm Cloud and Whisper but no Nightflight and Tailwind. And to make matters weirder they're going to release a CHUG Barricade that looks nothing like G1 Barricade but more like a "G1erised" Bayformers Barricade. We have CHUG Micromasters now - this is the perfect time to give us a G1-accurate CHUG Barricade (and Blackout)! And for lovers of Bayformers Barricade we just had MPM and Studio Series Barricade -- you've had your fill! Let us G1ers have ours! There are so many Bayformer Barricades out there that TFwiki has its own page just for Movie Barricade toys. How many G1 Barricades do we have? Just G1 Barricade. We've had scores of Bayformer Barricade toys since 2007 but we've had zero G1 Barricade toys since 1990.

I was pissed about the replacement of Legends class. Chances are we’re never going to see Eject from TR Rewind, which is just stupid. Same goes for the minibots that still need proper versions:

- Huffer
    - Pipes
    - Cliffjumper
    - Gears
    - Warpath
    - Swerve (if IDW doesn’t do it for you)
    - Hubcap

So close yet so far. I’m still holding out for a VW legends Bumblebee and Goldbug, but it isn’t looking likely, especially with Cybertronian modes (which I still want BB in). Can’t get into the micromasters, I wish they had got their own class/subline.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    While I love these characters from owning many of them in G1, I honestly don't like the modern versions. I would have prefered to get a proper G1 inspired Legends scale Cliffjumper, Hubcap, Warpath, Pipes, Huffer and Deluxe Insecticons to complete the sets that have already been started in Legends scale. While we are at it I would have liked Reflector to be Legends scale also, though he's not far off from Legends scale anyway with how tiny of a Deluxe he is.
    Reflector is sized almost like a Cybertron Scout which suited him well (even though I paid $40 each for three of him).
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust