Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Transformers toy envies

Default Childhood Transformers toy envies

Seeing G1 Optimus Prime's trailer always brings back memories of my cousins said toy. I got to play with it a few times as a kid and always wished I had it. I was particularly fascinated by the trailer since I already had G1 Magnus so was familiar with the cab.

Other memories include my friend bringing G1 Warpath to school. I've ordered the Warpath reissue so will finally get my hands on it soon. Another friend had the G1 mailaway watch. Now that was cool!

Finally, one of my good friends had the set of Predacons. It was such an impressive combiner given its scale compared to the other scramble city combiners. Anyway he ended up moving back to England and had a big garage sale. My Mum bought a heap of his toys to give to my brothers and I as Christmas presents, including the Predacons which cost her just $25! Of course I got that one since I was the only one really into Transformers.

So, what were the Transformers toys your friends had that made you green with envy? Have you since acquired them later in life?

my mom only buys me limbs for the combiners 'cause the torso are just expensive
    So im very jelly with my friends who got their big bots while i'm just having the limbs. I haven't got em now but just trying to collect the all unite warriors stuff to make up for those painful memories.

Anyway last week i found a g1 groove at vinnies (very bad condition) but for 50cents why not cause it still transforms and brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Seeing G1 Optimus Prime's trailer always brings back memories of my cousins said toy. I got to play with it a few times as a kid and always wished I had it. I was particularly fascinated by the trailer since I already had G1 Magnus so was familiar with the cab.

Other memories include my friend bringing G1 Warpath to school. I've ordered the Warpath reissue so will finally get my hands on it soon. Another friend had the G1 mailaway watch. Now that was cool!
    Ha - those were the first I thought of too! A mate at school at Prime and I remember going to some BBQ and one of the kids there had a Warpath.

I had an adopted cousin whose family were rich and my mum used to babysit a rich kid and both of them had a ton of Transformers so I was pretty jealous of them in general. The rich kid my mum babysat had all the Omnibots I remember.

I do remember a bunch of us in grade 4 building a carboard base for all our Mini-Autobots, even had a river going through it since I had Seaspray. I think one of the other kids who helped build it had a Bumblebee. I wasn't too jealous as I had the most Mini's (Seaspray, Pipes and Tailgate).

Kid on the neighbouring farm had Long Haul and Runabout. But he was jealous of me as I had all the Stunticons. I can't believe I remember all this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    So, what were the Transformers toys your friends had that made you green with envy? Have you since acquired them later in life?
    Warpath and Optimus were definitely the two I was most jealous of. As an adult there are now only 13 figures I can think of from 84-87 that I don't have (3 Powerdashers, 2 Omnibots, 3 Deluxe Insecticons, 2 Headmaster Autobots, 2 Headmaster Horrorcons and Wingspan) and the only ones of those I don't own that another kid I knew did were the Omnibots.

But I shouldn't be too mad at that kid because his mum gave me Dirge for Xmas one year, who was my first ever TF, and I still have him to this day

Now that I think of it, growing up the only person I knew who had TFs was my brother. I never felt envious though because we’d share our toys and I could play with his transformers whenever I wanted.
    I did end up buying a G2 Afterburner and Terradive of my own at Botcon though. I missed their cute little faces, and there’s definitely some nostalgia value on the transformation sequence. They were both sealed so it was also pretty cool to open them as if they were brand new. Unfortunately I lost the sticker sheets lol.

Toys I know I was definitely envious of were my cousin’s Starcom playsets, and my primary school friends’ My Little Pony collections. I only had two Hasbro ponies and they had like 50. I really loved their Hopscotch so I finally bought myself one off eBay a few years ago.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

One of my friends growing up had much older brothers from his Dad's first marriage.

That meant that they had many of the original G1 toys that I never had (coming in in the 90's with the gold box reissues). Afternoons at their place was Transformers action time!

My friend had Blitzwing which was way cool as a little kid as it had 3 modes! However, the one that I really had envy over was this super cool looking orange semi that I loved to play with but turns out it was a.... Go Bot (Staks)... I didn't know that at the time and I feel dirty just thinking about it now

A friend of mine had the Autobot Cyberjets (Jetfire, Air Raid and Strafe). They were my favourite molds as a young lad, especially the Jetfire/Hooligan mold and try as I might he would not trade with me for them.

I bought them online as a teenager and still have them.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Ha - those were the first I thought of too! A mate at school at Prime and I remember going to some BBQ and one of the kids there had a Warpath.

I had an adopted cousin whose family were rich and my mum used to babysit a rich kid and both of them had a ton of Transformers so I was pretty jealous of them in general. The rich kid my mum babysat had all the Omnibots I remember.
    Wow what are the odds of that???

The time I spent studying that Omnibot brochure! They are so mythical to me having never seen one in the flesh. But I kind of like it that way, I feel if I saw or bought all of these it would take away from the mystery of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoldj View Post
    my mom only buys me limbs for the combiners 'cause the torso are just expensive
    So im very jelly with my friends who got their big bots while i'm just having the limbs. I haven't got em now but just trying to collect the all unite warriors stuff to make up for those painful memories.

Anyway last week i found a g1 groove at vinnies (very bad condition) but for 50cents why not cause it still transforms and brings back memories.
    I was fortunate that once I got a limb of a combiner my Mum would then actively search out the others to complete the combiner (as birthday or Christmas presents of course). The only ones I didn't complete after getting a limb were Devastator and Piranacon. Picked up Devastator once I got back into collecting as an adult but have never gotten Piranacon. Though I'm very keen to get the Generations Selects Seacons now, kind of like what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    My friend had Blitzwing which was way cool as a little kid as it had 3 modes! However, the one that I really had envy over was this super cool looking orange semi that I loved to play with but turns out it was a.... Go Bot (Staks)... I didn't know that at the time and I feel dirty just thinking about it now
    Triple changers were cool, the only one I had was Octane, who I personally feel is a great toy! Funny that you mistook the orange semi for a Transformer. I watched Go Bots as a kid but for some reason never owned any of the toys. I guess I can be grateful that I got the real deal instead!

Megatron and Ultra Magnus were big envies.

Fortunately as many of my friends and relatives "grew out" of Transformers (ridiculous, I know) they would often give me their toys, so many of the toys that I previously envied eventually ended up being mine anyway. And better still it means that those toys that I got were also the same toys that I grew up playing with - so they're still my childhood toys even if I didn't own them in my childhood (if that makes sense).

e.g. I didn't have Cloudraker and Fastlane as a kid but my cousin did and I would often go over and play with his Cloudraker and Fastlane. He's since given me those toys, so the Autobot Clones in my collection are the exact same toys that I played with as a child even though they belonged to my cousin at the time. The sad thing with my childhood Ultra Magnus is that it was stolen. The really aggravating part is that although I've since gotten another G1 Ultra Magnus, it will never replace what was lost because my current G1 Ultra Magnus toy is NOT the same toy that my cousin owned that I grew up playing with.

Other toys that I envied as a child but didn't own and that nobody else that I knew owned have since been acquired (thank you, reissues!) - e.g. Predaking. I never owned any Predacons but I knew other kids who did, but nobody had the whole set and so I never saw Predaking as a kid. I did eventually see and handle Predaking in the 90s (thank you, internet and existence of online community) but it wasn't until the 2004 reissue that I was able to own one.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I only had two envies as a child, a kid at school brought in G1 Jetfire and I was blown away by this Transformer! I vowed to own him one day and I did get a copy as an adult.

The other was G1 Megatron. A good mate had this figure somehow as even back then, the word was you couldn't buy him. His Dad brought him home after a business trip (overseas I assume). I was very impressed!