1 4.55%
  • No

3 13.64%
  • Not even interested

3 13.64%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Convoy Ver 3.0

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

there are reasons why they design the knee joint like this but like it or not, this issue could have been an easier joint imo.
    I will open mine later.

Final thoughts, lots of panel flips for the leg.
    I think the backpack could be smaller but not a major issue.
    Paint apps on this one is definitely a whole lot better than mp-10
    The riffle wasn?t as bad but I still think it doesn?t need to fold.
    As mentioned, Bandai still does paint on soc figures more better. But honestly beats the flat no paint MPs

No issues with my piece for knees, however I refrain myself from needing to bend them if I don?t need to. Thanks for advice from this forum. Imo they should have kept it simple.

Yes overall very nice. I can?t say I like the price but I think I am very done with my masterpiece line until they make a jazz or insecticons.

I struggle with words to say how amazing and thorough your reviews are.
    Cheers.

What?s the point putting an in-depth review when you have one in here with full pictures and comparisons?
    I only gave a quick sum up of my thoughts without bashing bad points?
    Wow seems like get dick around whether I praised or say crap on a figure. I can?t win.

I've been playing around with mine for a few days, and it's easy to be impressed with the intricacy of the engineering, with a screen-accurate vehicle with a slim hitch area (and an actual truck hitch) transforming into a highly articulated screen-accurate robot, with the legs in particular being engineering marvels in and of themselves.

In terms of the robot's aesthetics, the degree of screen-accuracy is amazing, but I particularly like the way that the designers took the 'edges' off the Floro Dery design, so despite being a fundamentally blocky design, Optimus appears lean and almost sleek. Sure, the backpack is bigger than ideal, but it's clean and otherwise screen-accurate. I remember thinking that the sound box would be in the trailer to avoid putting a sound box in Optimus himself, and so was surprised to read that Optimus himself had the sound box.

I have a suspicion as to why the knees were engineered the way they are, with the upper joint needing to be bent before the lower joint. It seems like it was designed this way for aesthetic purposes, to try and preserve the appearance of the knee as it appeared on-screen and avoid the unsightly gap below the kneecap as long as possible.

On top of the figure itself, it's also great that the accessories have been re-engineered, and that everything works together so well as a whole. The new display options for Roller and the combat deck's anti-air artillery piece would be great for people who choose to avail themselves of them. The rifle in particular is a massive improvement, as I never liked MP-10's rifle and felt that it was too compromised for the sake of being able to store it and incorporate a spring-loaded deployment gimmick.

Looking at all the engineering, I can understand the high price point - research and development would have been long and expensive, and the high part count as well as the fact that nearly everything is painted increases manufacturing costs. For us Australians, the exchange rate is a big factor in the price - if the AUD was higher relative to the USD, we'd be looking at a bit over $500, which would probably be more palatable to consumers than the $600+ a lot of people would be paying.

I'd like to be able to 'learn' the transformation a few more times, but I've found that the paint on the hips is prone to chipping - not just the yellow shapes, but the white paint on the panels as well. As easy as it is to bemoan a lack of paint on figures, there is something to be said for putting colour in the plastic as opposed to painting over it, especially when moving parts will contact each other.
    Last edited by Magnus; 15th November 2019 at 11:39 PM.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already or is kinda obvious but I just realised the matrix from MP44 is the same mould as that which came with MP10. Lucky for me, as I got rid of my regular MP10 and didn't factor in MP44's matrix compatibility with my Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus MPs at the time I sold it. I did still keep my YOTH MP10 so I took a comparison with it.

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

But there are fixes that show the engineering is redundant, so why over complicated the joint?
    By this I mean that little blue piece that slides into the hole, it was shown by one that he cut the bs off and it works.

Overall figure is great. I just wouldn?t over complicate that joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already or is kinda obvious but I just realised the matrix from MP44 is the same mould as that which came with MP10. Lucky for me, as I got rid of my regular MP10 and didn't factor in MP44's matrix compatibility with my Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus MPs at the time I sold it. I did still keep my YOTH MP10 so I took a comparison with it.
    That’s interesting! It does make sense though, or we’d need a new magnus & hot rod going forward.
    Also you’ve prompted me to check if my mp44 actually came with a matrix haha (he’s preowned from amiami)
    Last edited by tinyJazz; 17th February 2020 at 02:41 PM.

Will be posting pics of my updated set-up once I get my MP-45 fixed. But suffice to say V3 Prime has such presence on the shelf along with his fellow season 1 MP Autobots. Definitely much better in hand than I expected.

I took my time transforming it and it wasn't as difficult as I expected. I'm not one to do many poses with my figures so don't have any problems with the knees. The backpack is also fine.

Posted a fair number of MP Convoy action piccies here.