Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paypal, your thoughts.

Default Paypal, your thoughts.

I need to acquire a paypal account to buy one stinking transformer.

What are your thoughts? Is it safe to use? Does it cost you anything to use it? Do you get Paranoid about your information being out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hereticpoo View Post
    I need to acquire a paypal account to buy one stinking transformer.

What are your thoughts? Is it safe to use? Does it cost you anything to use it? Do you get Paranoid about your information being out there?
    connect it to ur bank account = sending echeques (5-8 business days to clear)

connect it to your credit card = instant payment

paypal protection is geared more towards the buyer than the seller

if the shipment is done via USPS first class international or australia regular post, you could potentially fraud the seller by launching an item unclaimed dispute. you will win, coz the seller cant show proof of DELIVERY. proof of shipment is not enough. as item may be lost via post.

thats just an example of the unfair buyer protection paypal has and the most common fraud using paypal.

on the other hand, if the seller doesnt send u his/her item, and u paid, and the seller cashes out his money from the paypal account, u may not get ur money back either.

also fraud can happen with unconfirmed buyer accounts (buyer credit card billing address different to shipping address), buyer can say the credit card purchase was unwarranted, and then the money willl come back to the buyer's account.

paypal is a subsidiary company to ebay, they charge fees on most transactions, but none to the person making the payment. fees only applies to the person receiving the money depending on wether the seller has a premier/personal account and the source of the payment (credit card or paypal balance).

Paypal also charge 2.5% extra for currency conversion. thats alot btw and usually more than what ur credit card provider charges.
    Last edited by jgon2098; 10th November 2008 at 04:58 PM.

So you're saying that if I sell an item, some punk can say he never got it, and you have to pay for it? WOW!

I just want to use it to make a store purchase, if I made other transactions with paypal I'd ALWAYS be the buyer. Do you think it'd be safe to attach paypal to my credit card?

So you're saying that if I sell an item, some punk can say he never got it, and you have to pay for it? WOW!

I just want to use it to make a store purchase, if I made other transactions with paypal I'd ALWAYS be the buyer. Do you think it'd be safe to attach paypal to my credit card?
    yes if say u sold me a 200 dollar item via regular post, i can say u send me a bag of rocks and file for a claim. the second i file the claim, 200 dollars will be frozen in ur account. the dispute will then 100% go my way and 200 dollars will be back in my account + i received ur item.

with regards to internet fraud, identity theft etc. theres a risk in anything, but i dont think u need to worry here. if ur worried, once u make the purchase immediately deattach ur credit card from your paypal account.

as ur the buyer, and in no way am i insisting but for anyone that reads this post use it as an informative guide on the mechanism of paypal but dont be a poo, i got frauded a couple of times, both as a buyer and a seller. and its not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jgon2098 View Post
    yes if say u sold me a 200 dollar item via regular post, i can say u send me a bag of rocks and file for a claim. the second i file the claim, 200 dollars will be frozen in ur account. the dispute will then 100% go my way and 200 dollars will be back in my account + i received ur item.

with regards to internet fraud, identity theft etc. theres a risk in anything, but i dont think u need to worry here. if ur worried, once u make the purchase immediately deattach ur credit card from your paypal account.
    Cool, thanks for your advice Jgon.

paypal is buyer friendly not seller friendly for the reasons jgon mentioned above

using your credit/debit card is the best way to fund the PP account as payments are automatic & doesn't take a few days to go through as it does with bank accounts

i only added my bank acc to PP to draw money out of PP when its needed

Do you think it'd be safe to attach paypal to my credit card?
    Wouldn't this be adding a second level of security? I've only ever used a direct debit visa card and a bank account through PayPal, and I thought it was just easier if I let PayPal manage any problems I might have ended up having if something problematic happened with my card.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    paypal is buyer friendly not seller friendly for the reasons jgon mentioned above

using your credit/debit card is the best way to fund the PP account as payments are automatic & doesn't take a few days to go through as it does with bank accounts

i only added my bank acc to PP to draw money out of PP when its needed
    rampage made a very good point there which i forgot to mention.

any remaining balance on ur paypal account (this will only happen if ur a seller) can only be retracted to a bank account not to a credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruntalon View Post
    Wouldn't this be adding a second level of security? I've only ever used a direct debit visa card through PayPal and my bank account, and I thought it was just easier if I let PayPal manage any problems I might have ended up having if something problematic happened with my card.
    i cant remember who said this, may have been digger, but someone said the worst case scenario was to file a complaint with ur credit card provider in case paypal wants to be a poo. hence like eruntalon said, its a second level security measure. i have never done it before so i wouldnt know about the level of effectiveness or if its effectivene at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruntalon View Post
    Wouldn't this be adding a second level of security? I've only ever used a direct debit visa card through PayPal and my bank account, and I thought it was just easier if I let PayPal manage any problems I might have ended up having if something problematic happened with my card.
    Well the reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to order a MP Thunder from RK. When I click on the checkout screen, it automatically self checks the 'PayPal' payment option. Is this normal? I agree that its weird to have a second degree of security, especially when a customer is paying with a credit card.