Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two new Toymate stores before Christmas

CFA/MFB boundaries are a farce. A pretty poor way of “defining” the edges of the city. No doubt it’s sprawling, but yeah, still Melbourne.

There generally tends to be roads and freeways between places, and their goal is usually to assist people getting from place to place. So you’re certainly correct about that.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

So did anyone get to go to the grand opening today?

I was intending to go but life with kids got in the way!

I was at work, and again today. I saw on Facebook they have a huge number of $40 leader Skyshadows (that were in Toy Kingdom Fountain Gate a year or so back). I will probably pop in on Tuesday this week.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Theres also a new NSW store at Erina fair & ACT store for Canberra on the way. Both are in the Toys R us locations. Erina Fair opens this saturday

Quote Originally Posted by CaminusPrime View Post
    Theres also a new NSW store at Erina fair & ACT store for Canberra on the way. Both are in the Toys R us locations. Erina Fair opens this saturday
    Well I thought the thread already included the new one in Canberra. It's been in the facebook for months already but just saw the signs last weekend for opening last week of November. It's taking the TRU spot as well in Majura. Looks like they are taking some strategic locations of TRU.

The Brisbane/Logan store apparently opened today according to the Toymate website, and next weekend they have the Canberra store opening (at Majura Park shopping centre, next to the airport).

That's now 22 stores in five states/territories. ToysRUs had about 35-40 stores at their peak, in six states/territories (they had stores in South Australia, which Toymate doesn't yet have).

Today at the new Logan Hyperdome Toymate store, which they boast as being the largest toystore in Australia.... which could be true, if it is the largest Toymate store and they know the floor space of the other remaining dedicated toystores in Australia (Toyworld, Mr Toys, Pete's toys and second-hand stores like Lobos in Melbourne).

It is located where Myer used to be, which is near the mid-way point, next to a new TKMaxx (which can sometimes have clearanced Transformers toys, but this store didn't have any). Myer was a 2-storey store, so I don't know if there is anything upstairs, as both of these new stores are only on the ground floor.

Some photos of the overall store, showing how big it is, and how open and colourful it is. The black ceiling is a bit strange though, as I thought that it should be something more colourful or white... but looking back at my photos of the Robina store, they had the exact same type of ceiling. The size and maze type layout reminded me of the big ToysRUs store at Hong Kong's Ocean Terminal... it was quite exciting to visit. I will look forward to visiting this store often, provided they restock often.
    The surprise was finding a huge kids play area at the back of the store, with a mini-theatre, and frozen yoghurt counter with different flavours to buy. It will probably only be used during the christmas season, for the parents to drop off their kids while buying up their presents. (I didn't take any photos of that area, because I didn't want to get into any trouble looking like I am just taking photos of other people's kids.)

The Transformers section, mostly in one section, with the BotBots and Rescue Bots at the front of the store near the registers.

And actual Transformers toys, focussing on the more recently released items.
    HEAPS of Siege Thundercracker and Megatron.

Wave 3 Siege Micromasters Blackjack & Hyperdrive - their master cartons must have come with wave 1's Autobot Race Car patrol and Battle Patrol, which we missed in Australia. (it still means we didn't get the Decepticon Airstrike Patrol here from the first wave)

HEAPS of Siege Deluxe Reflector wave.

Bumblebee Movie exclusive Soundwave from Titans Return for just $45 (a Leader toy for half price, in fancy packaging)... and Studio Series Voyagers Rampage and the Optimus Prime from the Bumblebee Movie.

Various recent Cyberverse Warriors and Spark Armour (they had wave 1 Battle Class and wave 2 Elite Class).

Botbots series 3 5-packs, Arcade packs, series 2 single packs, series 2 8-packs, and Rescue Bots Whirl (race car) with a re-release Brushgard behind it.

Credit to the new store for having heaps of staff on hand, but I think it was because they expected a huge turn out for the opening weekend... but this was something that showed how inexperienced the new staff were when it came to problem solving. I pointed out to a staff member that they had a heap of their Siege Voyagers labelled up as Deluxe (which could have some customers thinking they were $35 instead of $50, and get into a dispute with a cashier when trying to pay for one). I had to explain it to her three times, pointing to the applicable toys on a shelf above that were labelled correctly, showing her the different terms on the price labels and the different sized toy boxes. She started removing the labels as I walked off, but when I came back from walking around other parts of the store, the wrong labels were put back, as she just gave up as a problem that was too hard for her to work out or didn't have the confidence to move stock or remove wrong shelf tags.

Near the main Transformers section, there was a TV screen showing three toy commercials on repeat - one was for Siege, the other two were for Botbots.

There were a lot of different toys to see, and surprises when walking around the aisles. A little something that I saw that caught my eye were these Loyal Subjects MOTU figurines...

Next weekend it's Canberra's turn, with Majura Park opening. Check it out if you are in the ACT, as it should be similarly huge if they filled the old ToysRUs store.

That's an impressive amount of TFs on the shelves

Convoid is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

More photos of the Transformers section at Hyperdome Toymate store last Sunday:

You must have been there after I was there, as I had moved some things around to tidy up the shelves and make some items more visible, which I could still see in your photos.
    (I was there from 11.40 to 12.20)