2 22.22%
  • Only if (something else)

2 22.22%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Siege Seekers (3-pack)

Default Toy Review - Siege Seekers (3-pack)

"RAINMAKERS"
    Sereis - Siege
    Sub-line - War for Cybertron
    Size/class - Voyagers
    New/remould/redeco - Repaint of Siege Starscream
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - N/A (overseas store exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - US$110
    Approximate Size - 17cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Kaonian Viper fighter
    Main Features/Gimmicks - obscure cartoon reference makes you edgelord
    Main Colours - monotone
    Main Accessories - x2 guns

Very bland looking trio of robots, and it's just the way we like it! Acid Storm, Ion Storm and Nova Storm are predominantly bright green, blue and bright yellow respectively with few other colours to break up their monotonous palettes. Objectively speaking it makes them look incredibly dull, and this would be why previous versions of Acid Storms used other colours to break up the monotony (but was still mostly green). But I get it, these are being to represent the Rainmakers in their Cybertronian Tetrajet forms as they appeared in the cartoon, so they should be monotonously dull.

Having said that, the battle damage breaks up the monotony so... for me they're not dull enough! The splatter on the robot modes ought to be easy enough to remove as they mostly don't contact other paint ops. I think most of the splatter on the jet modes should be removable too, but still like the splatter near the nosecone and winglines will be too risky -- so I reckon I'd be able to remove a fair chunk of the try-hard battle damage but not all of it. The battle damage is also uniformly painted on each toy, making them look less interesting side-by-side. Even if you love the battle damage on this toy you might like to partially remove or even add some marks to make each look differently weathered (pun intended). I'm also glad that they used the same "smirkless" face mould from Starscream. The chest plate is also less prone to falling off than Starscream, so it appears that they have attempted to fix that weakness from Starscream.

This set is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea being really based on such obscure characters and also just being so visually bland to boot. It makes sense why they were released together as store exclusives. Ion Storm would be the hardest to sell individually being so similar to Thundercracker. But for anyone who's ever wanted the set of Rainmakers from the G1 'toon then your wish has been fulfilled. But due to the incredibly niche appeal of this set I've voted "Only if (something else)" with the something else being if you really want a set of Rainmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Very bland looking trio of robots, and it's just the way we like it!
    Amen! Sold my Masterpiece Acid Storm to raise funds for this set and don't regret it one bit.

The chest plate is also less prone to falling off than Starscream, so it appears that they have attempted to fix that weakness from Starscream.
    Mine didn't fall off at all. I can see that they've definitely retooled the nubs to make them longer and hold the chest panel in better. Yours could just have popped off due to you being new to transforming the mould maybe?

Overall, I really like that this set exists. When I first saw the Rainmakers in the cartoon it intrigued me to see these extra (intentional, not accidental) seekers and made me wonder about who they were. I am glad that they chose the Siege Tetrajet mould as a way to finally give us the whole trio, it's quite fitting since we ONLY saw them as Tetrajets in the cartoon, not Earth jets.

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

One side of my Ion Storm's chest became loose/wobbly but didn't actually detach (I realigned it when I felt it dislodging). It's not like Starscream's chest which comes off if you look at it the wrong way.

Trying to remove the try-hard "battle damage" from these figures is proving to be a pain in the backside with varying degrees of success. I forgot to take a 'before' picture of Ion Storm before scrubbing him so I nicked a image off of Google for comparison.

No offense to the fans of these figures, but they look like KO versions you'd find at the markets or something.

I think it's their monotone-ness (for lack of a better word). Reprolabels have a sticker sheet out now.

From a cartoon accuracy perspective they're definitely on point though. But they won't be everyone's cuppa tea.

Yellow one looks like its mouldy. A cheese that is over ripe perhaps.
    The blue one looks okay with the battle damage and fits with the theme of the line.
    The green you could do the opposite and add more, say its camo paint

In an effort to make these dull and monotonous looking Jets look even plainer, I gave all three of my Seekers another round scrubbing. I think I've managed to scrub off a good amount of the battle damage paint but I just can't get it all off.

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    I think it's their monotone-ness (for lack of a better word). Reprolabels have a sticker sheet out now.

From a cartoon accuracy perspective they're definitely on point though. But they won't be everyone's cuppa tea.
    These aren't going to be everyone's cube of Energon, you're right. That's why they're limited store exclusives. And I suspect that it may be why Aussie retail buyers aren't keen on ordering these Rainmakers given how Siege Starscream is still massively shelfwarming atm.

In an effort to make these dull and monotonous looking Jets look even plainer, I gave all three of my Seekers another round scrubbing. I think I've managed to scrub off a good amount of the battle damage paint but I just can't get it all off.

These aren't going to be everyone's cube of Energon, you're right. That's why they're limited store exclusives. And I suspect that it may be why Aussie retail buyers aren't keen on ordering these Rainmakers given how Siege Starscream is still massively shelfwarming atm.
    Wave 2 seem to be following the classic wave 1 treatment that always happens. A small trickle of new product in hot demand, then a huge amount of stock with everyone who wants one already having one, that shelfwarms hard, making retailers go yikes. Expect the next wave to be nigh impossible to find, and the wave after that, until there’s finally a big restock of that last wave and there’s way too much. Vicious.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Just Dew it!
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.