Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece MPG Raiden

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Hmmm. Well that's turned out to be kinda interesting.

So Raiden as a whole will be the same height as the CW/UW combiners, and Shouki is roughly around the usual voyager size. And has quite a bit of visual similarity to CHUG toys - lots of gaps and hollows (especially from the side, and look at those leg flaps), and has a whole bunch of kibble hanging off the back (which has been very carefully placed to resemble a cool cape in the official pics, quite clever that ).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I bailed on this, it wasn't the price but more on the design that didn't suit my taste. All the best to those who wants it.

From the latest issue of Figure King magazine in Japan, a translation of an interview with the Raiden development team...

This 2-page interview collects the impressions and comments of Takara Tomy x Tomytec Shouki Developer team which consists of: Kojin Ono (Takara Tomy / Transformers Team), Dai Ono (Tomytec / Development) and Hideki Shimanuki (Tomytec / Marketing). Since Shouki is a realistic train, the Transformers staff teamed with Takara Tomy’s train brand: Tomytec.

We have some interesting details about how the train mode was worked and the decisions made to create a realistic Shinkansen mode while make it still transformable.

Ohno: At a meeting, a young staff member suggested the name “Raiden”. However, the idea was put on hold due to various problems, not least of which was the fact that once we started, it would be very difficult to make six in a row. On the other hand, it would be the first time in a long time that we were able to realize 5, and it would be the first time in a long time that we were able to combine them in a master beast. Also, if we could make model railroad fans happy, we would be able to develop a new fan base. So we decided to do it. So the licensing team and I took the old G1 toys and visited the JR companies that had jurisdiction over each of them.

**How did the cooperation with TOMIX come about?**
    Ohno: We started out just consulting with them since we were in the same group, but then we started thinking that it would be beneficial for both of us if we worked together, including marketing. When I talked to him again, he said, “I know someone who used to play TOMY TRANSFORMERS,” and I thought that was reassuring. Ono: At the time, one of the toys my younger brother bought me was a Raiden, and since I was also involved with railroads, I was playing with it without telling him (laughs).

**What do you think of the idea of turning so-called railroad cars into robots?**
    Shimanuki: This year marks the fifth anniversary of TOMIX, and the Shinkansen and Blue Train are among the most familiar railcars. When we heard that they could be transformed, we were very excited about the idea.

**I heard that this time the product will be in HO gauge.**
    Ono: Model railroad standards are based on overseas standards, but the Shinkansen is standard scale, so it will be HO scale.

Osaki: I also created the PJPJ Diaclone version of the Train Robot, and at the time, I was responsible for turning the prefecture around in a way that was closer to N gauge. This time, since it’s MPG, I wanted to recreate the realism of the cars that were unavailable in the modern era, which is why I made it SD6. That’s why I stuck with this size from the beginning. It was only later that I matched the robot’s height to the other Masterpieces (laughs).
    Shimanuki: TOMIX hasn’t released an HO gauge Series 0 yet (laughs).

**What is the point of TOMIX’s supervision? Since the model is made by a railroad company, the model will be based on the real thing, right?**
    Ono: We are particular about the shape of the vehicle, but we don’t have a chance to get to know SJJ any better than that, so I’m surprised how the robot fits inside.

Shimanuki: We were talking internally about how nice it would be to have TOMIX fans say, “Only T0MIX supervised SJJBS.

**What kind of communication did you actually have with them?**

Ono: Tomix has a stock of actual photographs and other materials taken for product development that have never been seen outside of the company, so I used these assets to check every little detail. When we were working on the appearance and material, we would thoroughly compare the color of the material with the color chips and faithfully match the colors. Using this material, we were able to recreate the three books in a way that is far more accurate than TOMIX products.

**What exactly did you have to modify?**
    Ohno: The size of the windows and the number of rivets on the vanels.

Ohno: I thought about what to do about the windows (laughs). (laughs) There are differences in the size of the windows between the cars built in 1934 and the cars built in the Showa era. This time, I used the large windows (from when the train first opened).
    Ohno: Mr. Ono pointed out the difference in the couplers between the Shinkansen and conventional trains, but the TF is the same for all six models because of the six-car coupling (laughs).

**What is the appeal of this product from everyone’s point of view? What is the appeal of this product in your opinion?**
    I was also particular about the body’s appearance. I also aimed to make it poseable. I’d be happy if people could enjoy that, and I thought it was a must that it came with an oP°D-ni. The fact that it can be displayed on Ono’s rail is in itself an oJSU time shape. It’s actually very difficult to make a proper railroad model of this size. Even the detailed markings and antennas are made with the same attention to detail as a model railroad, and that’s what I want people to pay attention to.

Shimanuki: Actually, the articulation is very well done. In the case of TOMIX, the connecting part is not sculpted because it is reproduced with the cover on.
    Daishi: JUPO was able to create JNS products because TOMIX was a brand within the TOMY Group.
    And tweeted by Takaratomy, a look at the backside of the robot mode of Shouki.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Now being offered for order by EB for $298.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Now being offered for order by EB for $298.
    Listed for au$298, for release in June 2022.

It seems that no matter where you go, it will be almost 2 Grand for the entire team of six.

(I think I'll stick with my HLJ order for now, as it will still be about au$250 with shipping and GST, but is more reliable than a non-Japanese source).

At least the total cost of Raiden will be spread over a very long time, because this first part was officially announced March 2021 for release 15 months later... and since we haven't seen or heard about the second part yet after 8 months later, it's at least 8 months apart with its release, suggesting that these six Trainbots would be released at least a year apart.

I would love to grab him and the rest, since I really like train Transformers and combiners, but at $300 a bot, and that's assuming no price rises for future ones, it's too pricey and out of reach for me
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

We now have the first official box image of MPG-01 Shouki. The box design style is different from that of regular MP box art.

I am so keen for these - as a huge train fan, and with my first TF series as a kid including Rail Racer from RID (2001), have really missed train TFs! Bonus points that they're an awesome combiner (and that I have the mini-bots Universe version).

MPG-02 Trainbot Getsuei has been officially revealed. The detailing on the licensed locomotive is impressive. Unlike Shouki, i don't see any spot for a driver figure to fit into the alt mode. The bot mode aesthetics follows Shouki's, not being animation model accurate to high degree by sacrificing other considerations.