• Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Blackarachnia

Default Toy Review - Masterpiece Blackarachnia

BLACKWIDOW (Blackarachnia)
    Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - N/A
    Released here - no (JP release late November 2019)
    Approximate Retail Price - 15,000JPY (205AUD)
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Destron (Predacon)
    Alt-mode - black widow spider (Lactrodectus)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Beast Wars cartoon likeness, detachable spider legs, see "Main Accessories."
    Main Colours - black, gold, bronze
    Main Accessories - smiling face, screaming face, visor, visor cable, missile, missile with string, cord, base, arm, spider web, robot mode spider web connector, spider mode spider web connector

PROS
    + As with many MPs, this toy looks like Blackarachnia just jumped out of the TV and became real. The visual screen likeness especially in robot mode is nothing short of spectacular.
    + They've done a really impressive job in making Blackarachnia fairly proportionately accurate in both beast and robot modes. The spider mode has the large bulbous body, and the robot mode has the hour-glass feminine figure.
    + The paint apps and overall visual look of this toy is quite stunning.
    + Robot mode has 26 points of articulation. Beast mode has articulated spider legs (each leg has 2 points), and the beast head and pedipalps are also articulated!
    + The anchor gimmick on the stringed missile works pretty well! (see pic below of the suspended in mid air; there was no modification or assistance given to hold that toy in place)

CONS
    - A lot of the robot parts are visible in beast mode.
    - The detachable spider legs detach a bit too easily for my liking. They are prone to accidentally falling out.
    - Beast mode legs struggle to hold the toy aloft and is prone to belly flopping.

OVERALL
    This toy is truly deserving of being called a masterpiece with no unforgivable flaws. This was always going to be a massive design challenge and I think that TakaraTOMY have really done well in trying to give us a toy that is both screen accurate as well as being intuitive and enjoyable to play with. Yes, a lot of the robot mode is visible in beast mode, but what more can you do other than making this toy a shellformer (which would compromise the look of the robot)? I do wish that they would have dispensed with the detachable leg gimmick as I find it more of a nuisance than something fun. In all, this is an excellent figure. And if you look at my previous BW MP reviews, you'll know that I don't easily give praise to Beast Wars MPs, but I have nothing much but praise for Black Widow here. Highly recommended.

SHUT UP AND SHOW US PICS

[img]https://i.ibb.co/gDVhkFx/mp-blackwidow-robotmode08a.jpg[/img
    ]

Great review and pics Gok! I mostly agree.

Yes, she looks like she jumped off the screen, with a clean bot mode from every angle. A joy to pose for pics!
    The metallic paint is superb in person!
    Not fussed about the detachable legs, in fact I'd rather she be like Studio Series Shatter than Studio Series Dropkick.
    Regarding the belly flopping, they have given you a solution to that in the box. If the figure didn't come with the flight stand then I would be more critical of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This was always going to be a massive design challenge and I think that TakaraTOMY have really done well in trying to give us a toy that is both screen accurate as well as being intuitive and enjoyable to play with. Yes, a lot of the robot mode is visible in beast mode, but what more can you do other than making this toy a shellformer (which would compromise the look of the robot)
    Yes, this! I'm so glad they went back to the traditional route of transforming rather than shellforming. I really do appreciate that they were able to make the bot so perfect, even if the alt suffered a bit.

She is without a doubt the best Blackarachnia toy ever. Not just season 1 Blackarachnia, ANY Blackarachnia.

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Nice pics guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    url=https://ibb.co/bgG9st2][/url]
    Very subtle pic mate

And I'll pretend it's not the main reason/s I finally bought an MP Beast Wars toy

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Very subtle pic mate

And I'll pretend it's not the main reason/s I finally bought an MP Beast Wars toy
    That’s quite the set of shoulders she has there isn’t it? She must work out.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    That’s quite the set of shoulders she has there isn’t it? She must work out.
    Yeah... shoulders.... that's what I was referring to.

Anyone that says otherwise is a stinkin' liar!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Very subtle pic mate
    There's nothing subtle about how fine this piece of plastic is.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Damn these photos make me want to get her (but I'm trying to stay away from BW MP)

"You vs the girl he tells you not to worry about"

I cheaped out on the postage so just received Blackarachnia yesterday.

A transformer with the articulation of a Figma! Worth every yen IMO.