Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Transformers TCG wave 5 for April 2020

The delayed 5th series has now been officially released in America, so might be out here too now.

Sad news for anyone here who was a keen collector of the Transformers Trading Card Game from WOTC... the fifth series that came out May 29th (Titan Masters Attack) was the last series, as they feel that it didn't manage to draw in enough regular collectors & players (who buy the booster packs), and the final nail was the Covid recession.

I wonder if it had lasted another two series (until next year) to introduce Beasts, that it could have drawn in more people, as the first five series were pretty much Gen1 over and over again (in their different recent toy versions).

I think if they had spaced out their series more (1 per year, to give people enough time to afford to buy enough booster packs to collect all or most of the set, in addition to their usual toy collecting), and had a way of buying a complete set as a one-off purchase (at a higher price that reflects the value of the super rare cards).
    I also think that the ridiculously low official star count of 25 limited the ability to have an interesting battle, as quite a few characters (the good ones) would have 12-15 stars, which often leaves you playing with just one major character card. They should have instead had something like a 100 star limit, or players could agree to a lower limit if they wanted to have a quicker game. (they could also have done a better job making the game easier to understand with better instructions and example videos)

I'll still try to collect some cards of the last two series, as the prices are likely to come down from retailers offloading their stock.

^I'm happy they made an attempt at it. Distribution kind of sucked here in Australia. I saw good enough numbers of Wave 1 and 2 when they were released but only one instance of Wave 3 after maybe a year afterwards and then nothing since.

It's incredibly difficult for a new TCG to last long even for a big popular brand so it's unfortunate but not surprised that the Transformers one is ending. Digimon, even at the height of it's popularity, was unable to compete with the big 3 of MTG, Pokemon and YuGiOh. Dragon Ball tcg seems to be fairly popular now but it's on its 3rd try already.